Newbie Advice

4 hours ago, Councilestatekid said:

All my lurchers apart from 1 had collie in the 1 that didn't was a greyhound deerhound 1st Cross and never had a problem.at the min I have a lab that thinks he's a kid hes 5 my youngest lad is 6 and they disapear in garden playing together on there own when we go on walks they are like best mates I think its all down to how they are brought up together when lab was a pup and lad was around 1 they'd be in paddling pool together if took 1 out other one used to start kicking off haha ? ? so have always interacted and this helps massively rather than shutting in a cage I think

Mine was brought up with kids from a pup at 5 week old and was still a cnut I agree upbringing is part but from what ive seen I wouldn't trust one or any dog fully around kids. My pup at the min is my lads best mate but wouldn't leave them alone together 

• Like 3

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Chris, given the county that you are intending to work in,..I would think seriously about some kind of whippet based hybrid.? I catch a few rabbits in East and West Sussex, and as you know, it

All my dogs were brought up with my kids and was pets when kids were little id find them asleep in the dogs bed with the dogs dogs loved the kids kids loved the dogs but also grafted most nights on la

I wouldn't trust any dog round little kids mate always supervised ?

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Robbusher said:

I agree completely I use the cage for nights 

I agree with what you’re saying mine r same always into things with kids I personally find it easier to house train your not walking in little puddles or presents puppies leave u through the night while everyone upstairs in bed

96001A98-6610-4640-BDDD-14E3AF1C6B50.jpeg

ACCE0D28-0E39-42D5-B804-9AF30FE213A3.jpeg

My mates Mrs had 1 of them French bulldogs just spent an absolute fortune doing up his house all real oak floors the works.his Mrs came round and brought the dog mate wasnt impressed to start with as doesn't want any animals in his house and told her this but she still brought it so bit his lip and thought causing an argument wasn't worth it till he got up at 5am for work was still dark went downstairs slipped in dog shit and piss in bare feet she is now a ex hahaha

• Haha 2

Like been said if your only interested in rabbits get a whippet or whippet x as they good rabbit dogs and good family companions and easy to live with .

Prices of all types of pups as gone stupid and I don't see it changing back to how it used to be as lots of greedy gets about but they still some good folk out there. if your on fb go on the none ped whippet sites etc and you never no you may find yourself a well bred pup .

Good luck ? 

• Like 1

As said whippet or whippet based lurcher. Very capable rabbit dogs and quiet, clean, good natured house dogs. They can't handle too much rough handling and jumping on from kids so teach the kids to be gentle and respect the dog and you'll have an easy care, good natured hunting mate.

Edited by Aussie Whip
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

As said whippet or whippet based lurcher. Very capable rabbit dogs and quiet, clean, good natured house dogs. They can't handle too much rough handling and jumping on from kids so teach the kids to be gentle and respect the dog and you'll have an easy care, good natured hunting mate.

You ain't the typical Queensland bloke.... I reckon you've got a bit of Sydney in ya ?

40 minutes ago, mushroom said:

You ain't the typical Queensland bloke.... I reckon you've got a bit of Sydney in ya ?

Yeah, born in Sydney and lived out west NSW for 40 odd years. No XXXX and marrying cousins down here.?

Edited by Aussie Whip
1 hour ago, Aussie Whip said:

Yeah, born in Sydney and lived out west NSW for 40 odd years. No XXXX and marrying cousins down here.?

Never realised they shagged their own in Sydney.. That explains why my cnut of a cousin moved there and became a copper ????

One of my best mates here in Barcelona, is a Melbourne lad, he's not plumbed in right but he's a top bloke ;)

On 28/05/2021 at 17:24, Mooseontheloose said:

Hello I hope this is in the correct section, Im really into my ferreting and after Convincing my other half we have agreed to get a lurcher. I never owned a dog before so ideally I'm looking for something that is forgiving and can Learn with me if that make sense so what mix of breeds would you surgest. I also have 3 kids and a baby on the way can you have a working dog aswell as a family pet or is it one or the other. I know the Internet is fall of info but has anyone got some good surgestions for a book that's worth a read? Atb chris

Alright mate I think you could pick just about any of the traditional stuff an come up trumps your can’t really go wrong from worker to worker bred something of maybe collie beddy whippet an greyhound mix breeding pretty good on every land an what size range there bred from if your not looking for a hero there a good cross I rate beddy an collie base blood mix in my Lurchers mine are good family dogs great around young kids an family members an lethal in the field there have a crack at any form of hunting day or night an any quarry they can be tough hunting dogs if bred right people think because they got collie an whippet in them they gotta be wrong wired in the head fanny dogs that are no good 

below is my bitch I’m running she’s 23& 3quarters she’s a right old mix up bred bitch of collie beddy base but a lot more beddy than collie she’s a joy to own with a great attitude for working 

F2DA3350-90E5-449E-95D9-C6AE2E5014BC.jpeg

• Like 4
3 hours ago, poxon said:

Alright mate I think you could pick just about any of the traditional stuff an come up trumps your can’t really go wrong from worker to worker bred something of maybe collie beddy whippet an greyhound mix breeding pretty good on every land an what size range there bred from if your not looking for a hero there a good cross I rate beddy an collie base blood mix in my Lurchers mine are good family dogs great around young kids an family members an lethal in the field there have a crack at any form of hunting day or night an any quarry they can be tough hunting dogs if bred right people think because they got collie an whippet in them they gotta be wrong wired in the head fanny dogs that are no good 

below is my bitch I’m running she’s 23& 3quarters she’s a right old mix up bred bitch of collie beddy base but a lot more beddy than collie she’s a joy to own with a great attitude for working 

She is lovely mate, looks like the dogs you see in the old poacher artwork 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, poxon said:

Gorgeous wee rabbiter..?

• Like 2