The great strength that the British army has always had is “ discipline “ . Think Crecy , Agincort , Waterloo , the countless skirmishes with the American independence army . It was our discipline that won us victory after victory against the “ cheese eating surrender monkeys “, and saw this once great nation of ours rule over a vast Empire. The officers have had to inspire their soldiers to follow them and keep rank instead of heading for the hills . They did this by the threat of brutal corporal punishment , but they also cleverly developed “esprit de corps “ pride in your regiment which they still do today . And an officer is like a totem of that regiment, someone to look up to and look to for inspiration when things get tough . As a consequence many officers have little affectations , maybe a dog or sword or silly hat that sets them apart . It’s a psychology that has been around for hundreds of years .

• Like 1

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was a member of the Household division back in the early 80’s . I can confirm that it still draws its officers from the nobility. If you haven’t been to Eton or a similar school you won’t get in . B

Another regiment that was very busy during the Falklands were the Gurkhas . Those guys spread terror through the Argentine ranks . I don’t think it’s right to talk on an open forum about the tactics t

The Scott’s guards fixed bayonets and charged Mt Tumbledown in the Faulklands conflict in 1982 , they had the pipes playing as they took on the Argentine marines that were dug in . It must have put th

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Idk man their SF looks pretty nice too me. The huntsmen corps especially. All I'm saying is if I was watching over a beach and a landing craft beachs and some big viking lookin mf came running out in body amor and a a double headed axe.....I'd probably start rethinking life choices . I need to find the article again. The video was in Norwegian or something so no clue what it was saying.

Cheers.

2 hours ago, Wolfdog91 said:

Idk man their SF looks pretty nice too me. The huntsmen corps especially. All I'm saying is if I was watching over a beach and a landing craft beachs and some big viking lookin mf came running out in body amor and a a double headed axe.....I'd probably start rethinking life choices . I need to find the article again. The video was in Norwegian or something so no clue what it was saying.

Don’t have to rethink life choices mate.....that’s why they provide you with limitless amounts of 5.56 ammo.....just plug him ! Lol 

Whenever I think of eccentric British army officers I'm put in mind of that Scottish laird in the Longest Day.

Carrying his stutzen stocked stalking rifle and taking his piper with him. Whenever the film is on TV I always intend to try and read up him but never get around to it.

Don't know how accurate the film is but stirling stuff. Not sure how happy the piper would have been going into battle with his pipes rather than a weapon but to some people the sound of the pipes is as bad/good as a weapon. 

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Ken's Deputy said:

Thought; " Ah. Yeah. Guy in the middle's an officer then. They only carry a side arm.

Then I thought; " Hang about! Why the fukk is That?! " ?

Their job is to organise and order their men, if they had a Rifle then they would be distracted and be shooting it about and not paying attention to their job but with side arms they can defend themselves and in time of storming trenches it would also be a very handy weapon. 

As time has gone on they have dropped most of what makes them stick out, in the Boer war they blended in more uniform wise, early in WW1 they were ordered to pack their swords away, uniform has vastly changed and saluting in the field has also been done away with mostly because of the horrific losses the officers endured as the snipers could pick out who was important. 

• Thanks 1
2 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Whenever I think of eccentric British army officers I'm put in mind of that Scottish laird in the Longest Day.

Carrying his stutzen stocked stalking rifle and taking his piper with him. Whenever the film is on TV I always intend to try and read up him but never get around to it.

Don't know how accurate the film is but stirling stuff. Not sure how happy the piper would have been going into battle with his pipes rather than a weapon but to some people the sound of the pipes is as bad/good as a weapon. 

The Scott’s guards fixed bayonets and charged Mt Tumbledown in the Faulklands conflict in 1982 , they had the pipes playing as they took on the Argentine marines that were dug in . It must have put the fear of god in them . I’ve heard first hand accounts of the battle. It was brutal and bloody and hard to believe it’s nearly 40 years ago . The pipes serve a duel purpose, they stir national pride in the Scottish troops and scare the enemy.

• Like 4
39 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Sounds like Lord Lovat....

1563897537_Landing_on_Queen_Red_Beach_Sword_Area.jpg.097dd83ce1847deb9ee26d6d456ed1f5.jpg

Edited by Born Hunter
Just checked, it was indeed Lovat.
1 minute ago, shovel leaner said:

The Scott’s guards fixed bayonets and charged Mt Tumbledown in the Faulklands conflict in 1982 , they had the pipes playing as they took on the Argentine marines that were dug in . It must have put the fear of god in them . I’ve heard first hand accounts of the battle. It was brutal and bloody and hard to believe it’s nearly 40 years ago . The pipes serve a duel purpose, they stir national pride in the Scottish troops and scare the enemy.

I know a lad who was raised on such stories and inspired him to join Zulu Company RMs.

Myself, reading first hand accounts in the history books of them doning their green berets so the enemy knew exactly who they were facing and screaming "zulu zulu zulu" as the charged. Legendary stuff.

• Like 2
45 minutes ago, eastcoast said:

Also, I'm not sure but I seem to recall that the commandos weren't allowed in the vanguard of the Normandy invasion due to some sort of traditional resistance to this new type of soldier, so I don't think the piper would have been mooching about scenes from Saving Private Ryan. Might be wrong.... 

12 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Sounds like Lord Lovat....

1563897537_Landing_on_Queen_Red_Beach_Sword_Area.jpg.097dd83ce1847deb9ee26d6d456ed1f5.jpg

That's the chap.

I've just done quick Google on him. I forget there is no need to search for books these days.

Apparently pipers leading charges was outlawed after WW1. When reminded of this Lovat said that's an English rule and we are Scottish!

• Like 1
11 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I know a lad who was raised on such stories and inspired him to join Zulu Company RMs.

Myself, reading first hand accounts in the history books of them doning their green berets so the enemy knew exactly who they were facing and screaming "zulu zulu zulu" as the charged. Legendary stuff.

Another regiment that was very busy during the Falklands were the Gurkhas . Those guys spread terror through the Argentine ranks . I don’t think it’s right to talk on an open forum about the tactics they employed but it involved their Kukri’s . A very impressive outfit .

• Like 6
36 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

I spent a bit time with ghurkas, I was left surprised a lot by them, very classy outfit if I do say so meself ?

They can knock up a class curry too....even if they make you eat it with your hands ?

• Haha 1
8 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

We are all the same ?

Yeah that's why we sit back and allow totally unvetted immigration, and the rape and abuse of white girls ,I'm sure if he was on the beaches greeting the invading filth with that sword ,they'd think twice !!