Rehoming a bitch

My lad has been wanting his first dog for about a year now.we planned on getting a pup to bring on..but that bitch of yours seems ideal for what he wants sheepchaser ready made runner so to speak..where are you living..rough area.

• Like 2

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just for the record the bitch doesn’t have mental issues. She’s not had the best of starts, and when she came to me she was nervy, sod all recall, generally just an unhappy dog. Like a big pup with no

Aye that’s why I’m making an attempt here, and not taking her to a kennels or something daft. I knew when I put the post up I would get the usual ‘shoot her’ suggestions. I’m not doing that and I’m su

I’m not the greatest fan of people so I have quite a good ars*hole filter. 

Posted Images

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Go get the dog an inn sure the dog an your son will be over moon an this time in couple weeks you’ll think she had always been there?

I always thought you a bit of a knob, but go get your lad his own dog an you’ll go up a bit in my books ??

Is this code for you'll supply the red diesel if he decides to take the plunge?

• Haha 1
3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Go get the dog an inn sure the dog an your son will be over moon an this time in couple weeks you’ll think she had always been there?

I always thought you a bit of a knob, but go get your lad his own dog an you’ll go up a bit in my books ??

What we talking gold ⭐ next to my name in said book..

14 hours ago, king said:

My lad has been wanting his first dog for about a year now.we planned on getting a pup to bring on..but that bitch of yours seems ideal for what he wants sheepchaser ready made runner so to speak..where are you living..rough area.

I'll pay for your petrol if you get her

• Like 3

I've seen this dog change from a nervy wierdo with no manners to a functional mooching dog. She's never going to be a world beater but she's sharp round the bushes and will probably keep getting better the more work she sees. A lad with loads of time to give and no huge expectations would probably get more out of her than anyone else. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
On 23/04/2021 at 18:13, SheepChaser said:

She isn’t for sale, she’s to go to a decent person who will give her a chance and she will come back to me if she don’t suit. She’s a big lump of a dog, looks like a half x bull grey, but she be suited to rabbiting and the odd other thing, she’s tracked a few bits but she isn’t what I need for here. 

Is she tooth shy mate ? 

On 25/04/2021 at 08:20, C.green said:

Sometimes its better knowing there in ground then wondering where theyve ended up. Id be very dubious of rehoming anything at the moment especially a bitch even if spade dont mean it doesnt hold abit of value to someone unkowing. 

I allways think if its not good enough for me its no good to others its not nice but its part of hunting with dogs if youve any sort of mindset youll get failures its what happens to the failures that shows alot about a person

My feelings exactly mate, almost to a word.

I understand not everyone has it in them to pts and it’s a soul destroying business but I always feel your responsibility lasts right the way to the end.

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, WILF said:

My feelings exactly mate, almost to a word.

I understand not everyone has it in them to pts and it’s a soul destroying business but I always feel your responsibility lasts right the way to the end.

I can see the logic in that to a point, but it doesn't take account of people's different expectations. Not everyone wants to be a hunting super hero, plenty of dogs that would disappoint lads who are desperate to excel would make other people very happy. Why shoot them? No doubt there's some that are better off gone but I bet plenty of dogs get pts just because it's easier than finding a home for them. It's personal choice at the end of the day I suppose. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
5 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

It's  a dilemma with no definitive answer.

Do you rehome and hope the dog doesn't end up on the lurcher merry-go-round, or do you cull, and know exactly what's happened to the dog ?

Its a choice only the owner can make.

Cheers.

I guess it all depends on who you are rehoming to. I've only ever rehomed one dog, a terrier who just couldn't get on with one of the lurchers, it took a few years but I found him a place with a mate. Still see him now and then, he's happy as Larry, it worked out well all round. Only downside was I had to keep hold of him longer than I really wanted to while I found a decent place for him. Would've been far easier to pts but I felt I owed him better than that 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Tyla said:

I guess it all depends on who you are rehoming to. I've only ever rehomed one dog, a terrier who just couldn't get on with one of the lurchers, it took a few years but I found him a place with a mate. Still see him now and then, he's happy as Larry, it worked out well all round. Only downside was I had to keep hold of him longer than I really wanted to while I found a decent place for him. Would've been far easier to pts but I felt I owed him better than that 

Yes, if you know 100% where the dog will end up, then rehome, but, sadly, in the case of lurchers, they more often than not end up being passed around, lied about, sold on by peddlers, etc.

As I said, it's a choice only the owner can make.

Cheers.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, Tyla said:

I can see the logic in that to a point, but it doesn't take account of people's different expectations. Not everyone wants to be a hunting super hero, plenty of dogs that would disappoint lads who are desperate to excel would make other people very happy. Why shoot them? No doubt there's some that are better off gone but I bet plenty of dogs get pts just because it's easier than finding a home for them. It's personal choice at the end of the day I suppose. 

Everyone’s different mate, I’m not slagging folks that don’t want to pts.....I totally understand, people form bonds with animals and it’s a howling job.

Just me personally wouldn’t feel comfortable passing on something that had only ever known me.

That said I have done it twice, once to a lady who I just had a good feeling about and that worked out well and once to one of my closest friends and again, it worked out well.

Other than that, never, I don’t think it’s fair.....but as I say, that’s just a personal way of looking at it and not something I insist every other person does.

None of my business what people do.

• Like 1