Air rifle newbie

Hi. Sorry for the obvious novice level questions but everyone needs to start somewhere.

I’m looking to buy an air rifle for the use of myself and my 10 year old daughter. Our ultimate aim is to shoot a rabbit or two for the pot. Her idea, not mine!

We have land with space to shoot and enough rabbits to spare.

I realise that successfully/ethically hunting a rabbit is long/medium term goal and we will have a lot of practice to get in ahead of that.

My investigations so far have lead me towards a PCP gun, probably pumped rather than tank filled.

I have these questions:

1) Should I aim at an adult gun and hope she can adapt to it with help (accessories?) or should I aim at a junior gun and adapt to that myself?

Budget is only available for one gun initially. £400-450 inc. accessories.

I’m drawn to with a Gamo Phox (the package contains everything I need to get started) or BSA Ultra JSR junior (needs extra spending - scope etc)

2) .22 or .177 Jury looks to be out on that. My thought is maybe .177 - easier shot targeting at greater distance.

3) Should we join a club/use a range?

As stated we have land to shoot. I have military weapons  experience. It’s been a while and I wasn’t infantry but did carry/shoot/maintain a personal weapon. I’ve never owned or used an air rifle more than a tiny bit as a kid.

4) Are there any recommended accessories to help a junior (and rusty senior) air rifle shooter.

Thanks

• Like 1

I would go for the standard bsa ultra , then both can use it . Both cals will do the same, but in sub 12 I prefer.177 , flies faster and flatter. Clubs are good to join , you can learn a lot , but you will find someone who thinks he knows everything, but actually knows not a lot . you said you had land to shoot on , then set up targets from 20-60 yards and learn hold under and hold over . 177 zero range would be around 35 yard range depending on pellet you are using. This way you will get to know your set up , ie gun , scope , pellet & and what you are capable of .

Range finder would be a big advantage, bipod , chronograph, gun case or slip , good selection of pellets to see which ones are the most accurate out of your gun , some good out door clothing either in dark green, brownish , or camouflage, cloves , hat 

Then you will realise you have the bug and by HW100K probably the best pcp sub 12 made . Come winter time you might want to go out in the dark , so night vision comes into its own 

Nice to see you chosen the best forum

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Just to add 

Do not be put off with the size of the ultra 

It's a hell of a rifle and will suit your little un no end and you come to that 

I was amazed at how good they were when I got my grandson one 

He shot loads of vermin with it 

Shot count let's it down mind 

But the ultra will match any hw100 

Shot for shot and then some 

I know my grandson proved it to me 

Lol

Atvbjimmy ???

• Like 1
On 03/02/2021 at 16:37, LuneRanger said:

Hi. Sorry for the obvious novice level questions but everyone needs to start somewhere.

I’m looking to buy an air rifle for the use of myself and my 10 year old daughter. Our ultimate aim is to shoot a rabbit or two for the pot. Her idea, not mine!

We have land with space to shoot and enough rabbits to spare.

I realise that successfully/ethically hunting a rabbit is long/medium term goal and we will have a lot of practice to get in ahead of that.

My investigations so far have lead me towards a PCP gun, probably pumped rather than tank filled.

I have these questions:

1) Should I aim at an adult gun and hope she can adapt to it with help (accessories?) or should I aim at a junior gun and adapt to that myself?

Budget is only available for one gun initially. £400-450 inc. accessories.

I’m drawn to with a Gamo Phox (the package contains everything I need to get started) or BSA Ultra JSR junior (needs extra spending - scope etc)

2) .22 or .177 Jury looks to be out on that. My thought is maybe .177 - easier shot targeting at greater distance.

3) Should we join a club/use a range?

As stated we have land to shoot. I have military weapons  experience. It’s been a while and I wasn’t infantry but did carry/shoot/maintain a personal weapon. I’ve never owned or used an air rifle more than a tiny bit as a kid.

4) Are there any recommended accessories to help a junior (and rusty senior) air rifle shooter.

Thanks

Good for her - it's nice to see kids interested in hunting  :thumbs:

............ My daughter was 9 or 10 yrs old when she shot her first rabbit - she was so pleased with herself. 

Personally, I'd go with an adult sized PCP - some of the junior rifles, like the Ultra JSR only produce 6ftlb. 

And, I'd chose .177 for hunting as the pellets are faster and the trajectory is flatter at 12ftlb, giving easier accuracy. 

The only other things I'd recommend is a bipod to help her with stability and, a bit of practice. 

........... give me a shout when you've got your rifle - I've got a bipod here that she can have :thumbs:

• Thanks 1

Welcome aboard LR

As already said the Ultra is a little cracker BUT the only trouble is the very low shot count so you will be pumping every 25 shots or so and when kids are involved, they just want to shoot and shoot and shoot sooooooooooo if you buy an Ultra, buy an air tank or have a rupture ? OR get a Scorpion which is like the Ultra but has a much higher shot count.

I was fitting one of my spare scopes on a friend's Gamo Phox this morning. A much heavier gun than an Ultra so a rest will be needed for your daughter and perhaps you also. You will have a much larger shot count, about 70 shots per fill so not too much pumping. My friend's gun is a .177 and it is very accurate which he really loves it and uses it for some hunting on pigeon, rats and rabbits.

Just to throw a spanner in the works, try to increase the budget and buy a s/h Weihrauch HW110k because it is as light as the Ultra, a stock suitable for you both, a shot count of about 75 and very very accurate BUT it will cost you more of your hard earned cash however a very good hunting rifle which will last you many years.  Just my thoughts.

Phil

• Like 1
  • 1 month later...

Hi LuneRanger and young Miss LuneRanger. Welcome to the best air rifle forum going! 

All the advice the lads have given is 100% sound. 

I cannot speak for the Gamo Phox I have no experience of it. But the BSA Ultra is a brilliant little rifle for both of you to use for target and hunting.

Phil's note about the WEIHRAUCH HW110 is definitely worth your considerations too. 

Within your budget, factor in a quality scope for your rifle. A 4-12x50 is more than enough a telescopic sight set-up for your rifle choices.

Hawke, MTC. Nikon. Bushnell are four major manufacturers of superb quality air rifle optics at reasonable prices. 

And buy proper scope mounts from Sportsmatch. These will lmount your scope properly and last for a lifetime of use. 

Beware of cheap scopes promising you the same levels of performance. They don't! And the last thing you want is forking out more money than you need have, to replace a duff "budget bargain"!

Keep us informed how you both progress here.

All the best.

Simon/Pianoman.

• Like 1

Hello n welcome both, Friend bought the Gamo phox .177 for his son (honest guvnor).

And has raved about it ,no squirrel lasts past first sight in his garden .He,s a ex marine and loves it to bits having tried the Bsa but the Gamo just felt right .

Sticks and bipod can be made for pennies ,2x green garden canes joined with a martingale ring or nut n bolt .

10 mm canes and a thick o ring make a bipod to last and tucks into your belt.

Plenty of targets free to download on line and if not potatoes are rabbit head size as are apples. 

Enjoy whatever you settle on atb

• Like 2