What's cooking?

8 minutes ago, mushroom said:

Kimchi coming along nicely. Fermented on the side for about 8 days and then in the fridge for about 2 weeks to slow down fermentation… made it a bit too spicy but nevermind ?

Just took it out of the fridge hence the condensation on the jar. Next time I make it, I’d defo use less liquid.

00248D21-C277-4AD6-8516-650DD61EC716.jpeg.2556cd1c5f40b58a64c8fa3be68be14a.jpeg

The smell ??

• Haha 1

• Replies 10.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rabbit Pie ! And, for the purists, made with shortcrust pastry, NOT puff pastry ! ? ! Cheers.

Treat off my dad tonight, he's a friend on the fresh fish stall up town... Scallops and lemon sole fillets...

Family get together at ours, so a bit of a spread.. 13 hour cooked brisket, slow cooked pork shoulder.. Home made coleslaw, stuffing, roasties... and a 2 day hangover! Lol

Posted Images

Kimchi coming along nicely. Fermented on the side for about 8 days and then in the fridge for about 2 weeks to slow down fermentation… made it a bit too spicy but nevermind ?

Just took it out of the fridge hence the condensation on the jar. Next time I make it, I’d defo use less liquid.

00248D21-C277-4AD6-8516-650DD61EC716.jpeg.2556cd1c5f40b58a64c8fa3be68be14a.jpeg

I had to look that up - I reckon I'd find it it either really weird tasting or really nice........ I'd give it a go.

20 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

I had to look that up - I reckon I'd find it it either really weird tasting or really nice........ I'd give it a go.

If you like sauerkraut you’ll probably like this. It’s way spicier mind and has that fermented sour flavour. Next time you’re in one of the main supermarkets, have a look for a small pouch/jar of it and see if you like it ;) Just remember to get the non-pasteurize one, if you can and store in the fridge. You can leave it out but it will keep fermenting and become more sour, putting it in the fridge slows down the process.

Edited by mushroom
  • Like 1
17 minutes ago, Jonjon79 said:

Smells like the blocked drain of a Delhi vegetarian ghetto when you open the jar. 

• Haha 1
Just now, mushroom said:

It’s not that bad ffs, talk about overreacting ?

It's worse, I have smelt a Delhi blocked sewer and many, many opened jars of Kimchi, your opening the jar to release pressure of the gas, its like a horrendous vegetarian methane build up, you said it stinks the place out for an hour, in reality it's far longer, but after that hour your nose gives up the ghost and goes nose-blind, it's rancid and I have eaten crap that most people would baulk at, but draw the line at Kimchi. 

• Haha 1
3 minutes ago, mackem said:

It's worse, I have smelt a Delhi blocked sewer and many, many opened jars of Kimchi, your opening the jar to release pressure of the gas, its like a horrendous vegetarian methane build up, you said it stinks the place out for an hour, in reality it's far longer, but after that hour your nose gives up the ghost and goes nose-blind, it's rancid and I have eaten crap that most people would baulk at, but draw the line at Kimchi. 

You sound like my mrs ?

She hates the stuff…. Hence why I made it :whistling: ?

Edited to add…

You'd hate pretty much everything she brought me back from Asia then mate lol. A bag of dried chili sardines (they’re like crisps but taste like a mackerels Fanny), spicy squid floss and the best one which actually made me gip a little bit…. Durian sticky rice (pre-prepared boxes, just add water) ?

Edited by mushroom
3 minutes ago, mushroom said:

You sound like my mrs ?

She hates the stuff…. Hence why I made it :whistling: ?

The last time I saw a jar in the fridge, years ago, I dropped it straight in the bin, Kimchi was originally a way to store vegetables long term, ferment them, there's a very thin line between fermenting and rotting, but the smell is the same ?

• Haha 1
Just now, mackem said:

The last time I saw a jar in the fridge, years ago, I dropped it straight in the bin, Kimchi was originally a way to store vegetables long term, ferment them, there's a very thin line between fermenting and rotting, but the smell is the same ?

See my last post edit ?

You'd hate pretty much everything she brought me back from Asia then mate lol. A bag of dried chili sardines (they’re like crisps but taste like a mackerels Fanny), spicy squid floss and the best one which actually made me gip a little bit…. Durian sticky rice (pre-prepared boxes, just add water) ?

I just saw your edit, I lived in a number of SEA countries, I ate them all, even fresh durian, durian ice-cream, dry durian, no problem with any, even dry squid. 

• Like 1
13 minutes ago, mackem said:

I just saw your edit, I lived in a number of SEA countries, I ate them all, even fresh durian, durian ice-cream, dry durian, no problem with any, even dry squid. 

So why the aversion to kimchi :hmm: Did a ladyboy launch a jar at ya? ?

While we’re on about strange world foods….. who has tried surströmming? ?

I had my house rented out to a Korean professor at Newcastle University once.

He kept his kimchi jars in the garage.......the smell lingered on long after he left.

Im sure there was a Korean astronaut on the ISS at one time and he was allowed to take kimchi with him, not sure what the other astronauts thought of that !

Cheers.

• Haha 1