Poking dreys

On 28/12/2020 at 17:34, FOXHUNTER said:

Seen dreys take a few shots before the occupants start bubbling out , great when theres a few in ?

We had 6 come out of one last year and that took 3 shots from a 12 bore to shift them, 13 is the most iv'e heard come out of one drey...

6 hours ago, gnipper said:

I've had a red and a grey come out of the same drey that I watched a grey go in so be careful.

Yes mate they will, you usually find the grey will push in and displace / bully the red out, ie the red was in first, if the grey is in first  you see the red come straight out after entering in a panic, I have seen them come out of rooks nests, I have just killed a dozen or so greys in a rookery and not a drey to be seen, I am certain they are living in the abandoned rooks nests, if you sit back with the bino’s you will see an odd nest full of oak leaves, they are hard to spot mind. 

• Like 2

I've only ever poked 'em with the choke barrel. I'm sure BASC or some other professionals have plenty of reasons why that's wrong but I've had some bloody fun days on the squirrels with a mate or two and to the best of my knowledge I've not killed owt but squirrels. Get on the right place with a few good lads and dogs, finish the day with roost shooting and it can be the best sport going.

• 2 weeks later...
On 04/01/2021 at 08:50, Born Hunter said:

I've only ever poked 'em with the choke barrel. I'm sure BASC or some other professionals have plenty of reasons why that's wrong but I've had some bloody fun days on the squirrels with a mate or two and to the best of my knowledge I've not killed owt but squirrels. Get on the right place with a few good lads and dogs, finish the day with roost shooting and it can be the best sport going.

Yerr, brilliant sport. Probably my favourite ?? I’d take that over driven pheasant any day.

• Like 1