Winter solstice

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Personally I think religion should be flexible, it can be made to fit you and how you are feeling. Most religions are joined in some way, they merge and mix and evolve. It's a strange habit of man to

Nature is a constant, all being.  Without  her, no life, no people.  That's my belief,  Atb j 

Twelve Nights of Yule Mother Night is the first of the 12 nights of Yule. It starts on December 20th, and the twelfth night is on the 31st, Yule proper. When our ancestors used a lunar calendar,

Posted Images

13 hours ago, jetro said:

Twelve Nights of Yule

Mother Night is the first of the 12 nights of Yule. It starts on December 20th, and the twelfth night is on the 31st, Yule proper. When our ancestors used a lunar calendar, it left about 12 days left over each year. So the twelve nights of Yule were not part of the old year, nor yet part of the new year either. Because these days were considered to be outside of the year, they were considered especially holy. A time when the veil between the worlds was thin.
A time when the gods were more likely to walk the earth in physical form, and people were more likely to catch sight of the elves or dwarves that are around us. ¹

On Mother night, the first of the twelve nights, druids got together and made a feast to honor the Disir, or protective feminine ancestors that watched over them. A place was set for them at the table, and afterwards the remained of the food would be buried in sacrifice. A vessel of milk and/or honey was poured at the harrow and offered to the house wights or landvaettir. The Disir are not entirely different from house wights, so it was best to offer something to both at this time of year. Since the veil between worlds is thinner, this is a good time to have the landvaettir look favorably on you!

At the culmination of this time, on twelfth night itself, which others know as Yule, beginning of a new year is celebrated. Thanks is offered to all the gods, and the children often wake to find that just as in ancient times, Red Thor has ridden past in his sled, pulled by his magical goats, and has dropped down presents for the children that are loyal to him. Sometimes the children can hear the bells on his sled ringing as he flies overhead. He delivers his presents down the chimney when he comes. He knows which children have honored him through the year, and to the ones which have shown him know loyalty he delivers a lump of coal. Some of you might recognize that some elements of this story have transmuted into the Santa Klaus myth.

Another tradition practiced by pagans at this time of year is honor the landvaettir by decorating a tree with colorful bits of ribbon, or colorful toys. They like shiny and reflective things and will help give you a good harvest and help protect your property if they find favor with you. When Xianity was forced onto our folk, a lot of our ancestors were forced to bring trees indoors in order to hang the offerings on their branches, so that the church could not condemn them for demon worship or witchcraft. The tradition itself survived, though most Xians do not seem to know they are giving gifts to the elves and forest spirits when they decorate their trees.

Another Tradition which still survives is the Yule Log. The actual practice has almost died out in America but is still holding on is parts of Europe. In America it is still a poignant symbol that you can find on many cards or other holiday scenes

Rudolph was a goat?! ?

19 hours ago, NEWKID said:

Was speaking to the woman who rents a place off me earlier, she was saying she doesn't do Christmas but celebrates solstice, she's a nurse so works Christmas day to give others who do celebrate it a day off.... 

Druid ?

• Like 1

I looked into Druid training and was surprised to learn to go through the stages correctly to fully fledged Druid can take up to 20 years, I noticed Mr Arthur Pendragon has been told he can’t go to Stonehenge due to Covid surely that’s an infringement on his religious beliefs. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

I looked into Druid training and was surprised to learn to go through the stages correctly to fully fledged Druid can take up to 20 years, I noticed Mr Arthur Pendragon has been told he can’t go to Stonehenge due to Covid surely that’s an infringement on his religious beliefs. 

https://www.(!64.56:886/groups/1896282800678829/permalink/2456380968002340/?sfnsn=mo

• Thanks 1

Here's an interesting chap who was a druid, born just up the road from me, I actually knocked about and went to school with his great, great grandkids, .... Some very cool stuff in their house?couldn't put up a link for some reason, so a screenshot?Screenshot_20201221-174649.png.327ebfa0bc05eaffdb2906d66bb97663.png

• Like 3
35 minutes ago, FLATTOP said:

They are all down Glastonbury instead was invited along and much as I agree with a lot of there Mother Earth principles not sure I need to drive 45 miles to thank the lay lines and hug a tree so graciously wished them well and declined ?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Greyman said:

They are all down Glastonbury instead was invited along and much as I agree with a lot of there Mother Earth principles not sure I need to drive 45 miles to thank the lay lines and hug a tree so graciously wished them well and declined ?

Glastonbury is an interesting place with a lot of strange and unusual types I was there a couple of years ago and there was a wizard just casually walking down the road speaking to the floor whilst I was sat out side a pub having a pint, 45 miles I would have been tempted to go for the experience 

• Like 2
Just now, FLATTOP said:

Glastonbury is an interesting place with a lot of strange and unusual types I was there a couple of years ago and there was a wizard just casually walking down the road speaking to the floor whilst I was sat out side a pub having a pint, 45 miles I would have been tempted to go for the experience 

There’s a large commune down there in an old shoe factory I think I have a friend that lives there so can go at anytime, lots of nice old traditions still alive round there and most are accompanied by copious amounts of scrumpy ?

2 minutes ago, Greyman said:

There’s a large commune down there in an old shoe factory I think I have a friend that lives there so can go at anytime, lots of nice old traditions still alive round there and most are accompanied by copious amounts of scrumpy ?

I love all those old traditions, I’ve always wanted to blast out the Glorious Om Riff by Steve Hillage at the top of Glastonbury Tor I think it would be suitable lol.

As for the Scrumpy I’m a big fan I make my own in small batches but I visit this chap at least twice a year and fill up a few five gallon barrels ?

http://wilkinscider.com/

• Like 2