The Night Sky

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Any bino’s big enough to do the night sky justices will likely be too heavy to hold long,  if I was you I’d get smaller bino’s for out an about an a spotting scope or even a bigger scope for the sky, but a decent spotting scope is good enough an the tripods make all the difference ?

Exactly, binoculars for astronomy are just too big for the casual observer unless of course you invest in a tripod. 

It's just another one of my dreams, I'm bastarding working most weekends so who am I kidding. ?

One thing I can't knock my job for is some of the night time views I get, out on the railway in the middle of nowhere the amount of detail you can see with the naked eye is unreal. 

• Like 1

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi all I bought a Swallow 20x80- binocular last year, They're a bit heavy and high powered to hold still, I have some 1" square tubing and hope to make a weighted parallogram to hold them! T

For anyone that looks up now and again, these three are nicely grouped tonight. If the moon wasn't such a slim crescent and more full then it would likely outshine Saturn at the top there and Jupiter

While we are on about binos ,can someone recommend an all purpose ,decent but not pricey pair ? I was beaten up recently and they took mine .

Posted Images

9 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Telling you mate a cheap’ish spotting scope an get it set up at home an I bet you don’t regret it, our whole family has a peek, an actually quite enjoy it ?

It's a good shout that as i imagine the ergonomics of an angled spotting scope are better suited to astronomy than a pair of binoculars. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Like 1
20 minutes ago, Astanley said:

Ye I thought that about the ergonomics .

I'm 6ft 2, 200 weight yeah.....

You don't have to set the tripod as high with an angled spotting scope which means a more stable experience, it's just easier with  less faffing about I should imagine. 

Edited by Greb147
12 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

I'm 6ft 2, 200 weight yeah.....

You don't have to set the tripod as high with an angled spotting scope which means a more stable experience, it's just easier with  less faffing about I should imagine. 

Has Ray hacked your account ?

• Haha 5
5 minutes ago, .357shooter said:

so i have had an interest in looking at the night sky for many years but have never bought any equipment to view it.there is a celestron astromaster 13eq for sale 2nd had and i was wondering if this would be any good ?

You're better off seeing for yourself tbh, nothing like using your own eyes instead of reading reviews. 

Join an astronomy forum and I'm sure folk would be happy to give you advice and maybe you will get an invite out one evening. 

• Haha 1
2 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

You're better off seeing for yourself tbh, nothing like using your own eyes instead of reading reviews. 

Join an astronomy forum and I'm sure folk would be happy to give you advice and maybe you will get an invite out one evening. 

Is their any fighting and arguing on that astronomy forum.?

• Haha 3
14 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

Why’s that.did somebody have a more powerful telescope with ergonomic handle than you.?

what do they argue about on their.?

No nothing like that. 

A member on the forum claimed they had seen Santa flying overhead in the south west skies, I of course called him out on his bullshit! 

Anyway, after plenty of name calling and threats it turned out to be some daft cnut from Wales on his paraglider. 

Edited by Greb147
  • Haha 2
13 minutes ago, Greb147 said:

No nothing like that. 

A member on the forum claimed they had seen Santa flying overhead in the south west skies, I of course called him out on his bullshit! 

Anyway, after plenty of name calling and threats it turned out to be some daft cnut from Wales on his paraglider. 

?? ffs.

Whatever forum he turns up on he causes trouble.

• Haha 2

Wife used to get some beauty pics of northern lights here, I don't know where she stashed them and shes away on a jolly. This is all I found. She used to do open expose of the stars which were pretty cool too.

IMG_1219.JPG.ee47d88c4b27c543c41ec1778738b800.JPGIMG_1750.JPG.beead607238b04cf3f21c27ca5884660.JPG

• Like 1