Chicken Feed !

I suppose this IS about chicken feed, but it's more about the stupid rules and regulations we have to put up with today !

A lad with an allotment next to mine worked for a major bakery, and used to bring me a couple of tubs of gear to feed my ducks and hens, 

Really good stuff; those baby biscuits with added calcium, broken or mis-sharpen enerygy bars, etc,  the poultry looked great and layed well on it.

Anyhow, he gave up the allotment and my supply dried up.

Today I called in at the local Warburtons bakery. Asked the gate guard about getting any waste gear for my hens.

He called one department, they couldn't help but told him to call someone else.

After a lot of "oh, I see's" he put the 'phone down and said the legal department said it was against the law, because if I ate any of the stuff and got ill or died, Warburtons would be liable !!!!

I asked, out of interest, what they did with the waste. He said they pay a company to take it away to a land fill ! 

What a waste !

Cheers.

• Like 3

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

If you was my manager you would be lying unconscious with a broken jaw in a puddle of your own piss ,you absolute bell end 

i must admit ..its a pet hate of mine..."job superiority"....i hate people that look down on others just cos they do ..what they deem to be a shit job...or not inteligent enough to do somthing better.

It's funny cos your a c**t .

Posted Images

35 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

I suppose this IS about chicken feed, but it's more about the stupid rules and regulations we have to put up with today !

A lad with an allotment next to mine worked for a major bakery, and used to bring me a couple of tubs of gear to feed my ducks and hens, 

Really good stuff; those baby biscuits with added calcium, broken or mis-sharpen enerygy bars, etc,  the poultry looked great and layed well on it.

Today I called in at the local Warburtons bakery. Asked the gate guard about getting any waste gear for my hens.

After a lot of "oh, I see's" he put the 'phone down and said the legal department said it was against the law, because if I ate any of the stuff and got ill or died, Warburtons would be liable !!!!

I asked, out of interest, what they did with the waste. He said they pay a company to take it away to a land fill ! 

What a waste !

Cheers.

I worked in a large factory running a line.that made sausage rolls.pork pies.large pies aberdeen angus.chicken and everything in between 1 of the customers was M&S.

If a product had a slight imperfection it was binned.they used big 3x3ft square maybe 3ft deep large plastic bins.pulled around on pallet trucks.full to the top and even mole tumped the amount of them bins that was thrown away everyday is unbelievable.

And people are going hungry in this country.it truly is criminal.

And by slight imperfection I mean a hair crack through the lid.a slight 5mm crush on the corner of a product.

And that's 1 food factory doing that in the uk imagine every food factory in the uk taking all such perfect food to the schools and handed out to the parents.food poverty would have a massive dent in it..

• Like 6
23 minutes ago, king said:

I worked in a large factory running a line.that made sausage rolls.pork pies.large pies aberdeen angus.chicken and everything in between 1 of the customers was M&S.

If a product had a slight imperfection it was binned.they used big 3x3ft square maybe 3ft deep large plastic bins.pulled around on pallet trucks.full to the top and even mole tumped the amount of them bins that was thrown away everyday is unbelievable.

And people are going hungry in this country.it truly is criminal.

And by slight imperfection I mean a hair crack through the lid.a slight 5mm crush on the corner of a product.

And that's 1 food factory doing that in the uk imagine every food factory in the uk taking all such perfect food to the schools and handed out to the parents.food poverty would have a massive dent in it..

:thumbs:

1 hour ago, chartpolski said:

What a waste !

Cheers.

That’s the same with lots of things mate.

If I was clearing equipment from firms some of them would want indemnity in case anyone I sold it to hurt themselves !

Quiet a few won’t even sell you their kit now, they just throw it away for the same reason.

I watched a firm chuck 6 chairs worth about £2k each into a skip for that exact reason, I was waving a bunch of readies at the bloke but he just wasn’t interested.....not worth the risk !

Its the same with feeding waste to animals, you ain’t meant to feed chickens or pigs scraps of any kind ! 

1 minute ago, bird said:

:thumbs:

I would make about 20k M&S and 20k happy shopper pork pies each day. In-between each run the meat hopper would have to be stripped down and wheeled to the washroom to be washed down.then reassemble and run the next batch.you couldn't mix the M&S meat with the happy shopper meat.more pork in the M&S meat compared to the happy shopper meat that had more fat in it.as fat is cheaper than pork.

The meat would be made in the mixing room a paper ticket stuck on and put in the fridge untill it was needed in a stainless steel bin.

I ran the happy shopper batch first using the M&S meat.and then ran the M&S batch using happy shopper meat.

The supervisor came over and seen the ticket on my bench.he stared at it and said you are running the wrong meat.

So I said to him this..

The people who shop in M&S can afford a bit of extra food.but the single parents who are hard up can't.so when they go and buy a happy shopper pork pie they are getting M&S quality.but the M&S people are buying pork pies in M&S and they are getting happy shopper quality.

So by me running it like this a few times a week we are just giving a bit of extra quality to the happy shopper folks.

He grinned winked and walked off ? and didn't say a word about it again..

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
8 hours ago, chartpolski said:

What a waste !

Cheers.

I used to feed my dogs on sheep’s heads from the slaughter house 10p each loads of good meat and bone on them, then a law came in that he had to skin them before sale so he said I,m not skinning them for 10p I’d rather bin them which he then did, I would not even be allowed to walk in there now a days let alone buy a sack of heads ?

• Like 3
1 minute ago, Greyman said:

I used to feed my dogs on sheep’s heads from the slaughter house 10p each loads of good meat and bone on them, then a law came in that he had to skin them before sale so he said I,m not skinning them for 10p I’d rather bin them which he then did, I would not even be allowed to walk in there now a days let alone buy a sack of heads ?

Exactly right !

I used to go to two local abattoirs and could take anything out the skips, Walk around the abattoir talking to the lads. 

As many sheep heads as I could take for free.

Now I can't even get onto the site.

Same with the super markets. You could go round the back and help yourself, now they are all fenced off.

The food waste is staggering , it could be put to good use, but they are terrified of litigation !

Cheers.

• Like 2

That’s one of the reasons food is artificially cheap at the point of sale, we are paying for whole industries to deal with stuff that was previously utilised for absolutely free......it’s the scam of subsidised food ! 
Im not allowed to take the pluck or blood from my pigs at the slaughterhouse ! Go figure ! 

Once a week visit to the slaughterhouse, tripes were great for the dogs, cost £2.50 and weighed in at around 20lb of good meet wheelbarrow under the cow which was hanging by its back legs cut it open let the tripe fall into the barrow, wheel it to the bin slice it and tip the shit out, it was better than a day at Alton towers for £2.50 and you had enough food for a week, oh the good old days ?

• Like 3

Once a week visit to the slaughterhouse, tripes were great for the dogs, cost £2.50 and weighed in at around 20lb of good meet wheelbarrow under the cow which was hanging by its back legs cut it open let the tripe fall into the barrow, wheel it to the bin slice it and tip the shit out, it was better than a day at Alton towers for £2.50 and you had enough food for a week, oh the good old days ?

• Haha 1

Our local abattoir used to sell all byproducts to whoever wanted them .Just call out at the back door and someone came to sort it .Heads ,tripe ,legs and red offal .

Used to be a few quid for as much as you wanted .New laws,  everything’s sprayed purple  and in the bin out front ,stinking .
Same abattoir now under daily protest from bunch of grass eating hippies ,blocking trucks getting in .

Dad used to feed chucks on food waste from the kitchens at the school he worked at as grounds man and old veg from a shop in town .That came to an end when red bins came in .

Women arrested in Devises lately for getting food out of a bin back of a cake making factory .Wasnt her first offence ffs .

The blame culture is where the fault lies .Bins and bins going to landfill ,covered before it can be scavenged and left to rot to create more problems in the watercourse .

Just now, sid g said:

h n s gone mad i tried to get a few sheets of ply off some site screening  from the new builds up the road the site manager said it would all get burnt and he could`nt let me have any in case i hurt myself and sued them ...ended up paying close on 200 quid for something that could of been free ,,, it was for a bird hide at the local jnr school i even asked if they could supply it and 2 joiners for an hour for free no sorry h n s not worth doing a risk assessment for ....

Tell him burning on site is against HSE regs ,lol.

Bypass the site manager and see the lads actually doing the job .

39 minutes ago, sid g said:

dont know if it still happens but the local pig farmer used to fetch all the school dinner left overs .from the local schools ...

Against the law.

It still happens though, my mate gets all the hops and waste from the local micro breweries for his pigs.

No kitchen waste from your own home up to industrial kitchens is allowed to be fed to poultry or pigs.

Something about "cross contamination " and salmonella, evidently.

Cheers.