Shooting ducks with an air rifle.

I've got some new perm with a nice size woods that has a old reservoir in the middle  about 100ft across.and regular 30 to 40 ducks on the water.

Is it legal to shoot ducks with an air rifle.as a few ducks to eat over winter would be great..

Yes, BUT this is a bit simplistic.  Ok in theory but not in practice.  Duck are quite tough to kill and VERY wary. An air rifle ain't exactly the tool for the job.  Fair enough if you hit on in the head it will die but if you hit one flying, all you will do is wound it.  A single pellet from an airgun.  ( even a powerful one) won't kill a duck when hit in the body..  I've seen a fair few birds and animals  with air gun pallets in them.  even a 22 rimfire is unlikely to kill a duck unless hit in the heart.  Another consideration is if you shoot one in the head and kill it, the duck is going to be out in the middle of the pond.... dog needed to retrieve. If you go to the local park the Mallard with be just there whilst you feed them but out on your pond they'll be off and away at first sight of you especially after you start shooting at them. Years ago when people didn't  have access to guns they caught duck by the use of a construction called a duck decoy. (not one of those plastic duck decoys)

Edited by Meece
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Meece said:

Yes, BUT this is a bit simplistic.  Ok in theory but not in practice.  Duck are quite tough to kill and VERY wary. An air rifle ain't exactly the tool for the job.  Fair enough if you hit on in the head it will die but if you hit one flying, all you will do is wound it.  A single pellet from an airgun.  ( even a powerful one) won't kill a duck when hit in the body..  I've seen a fair few birds and animals  with air gun pallets in them.  even a 22 rimfire is unlikely to kill a duck unless hit in the heart.  Another consideration is if you shoot one in the head and kill it, the duck is going to be out in the middle of the pond.... dog needed to retrieve. If you go to the local park the Mallard with be just there whilst you feed them but out on your pond they'll be off and away at first sight of you especially after you start shooting at them. Years ago when people didn't  have access to guns they caught duck by the use of a construction called a duck decoy. (not one of those plastic duck decoys)

I totally agree with you mate.i wouldn't even contemplate hitting 1 in the body it's cruel and pointless really.a head shot is the only way to go.

46 minutes ago, villaman said:

Trouble is if you did wound it and someone witness it then you could end up in court 

I had thought about this but I didn't like to mention it as it might be thought that I was some sort of kill joy but times have changed and you've only got to have some do gooder call the rspca in and you've got problems.

36 minutes ago, Dervburner said:

Just a thought. If anyone was to use an airgun to shoot ducks, would the same non-toxic ammunition laws apply as they do with shotguns?

I  hadn't thought about this one. I don't suppose anyone thought about this because it ain't usual to shoot wildfowl with single shot anything. Although I did know a bloke who used to shoot Canada's through the neck with a 222 from distance.

3 hours ago, Dervburner said:

Just a thought. If anyone was to use an airgun to shoot ducks, would the same non-toxic ammunition laws apply as they do with shotguns?

No. Because it's a single projectile. 

An airgun isn't the tool for the job IMO. not to mention unsporting. Sitting ducks and all that. 

10 minutes ago, walshie said:

No. Because it's a single projectile. 

An airgun isn't the tool for the job IMO. not to mention unsporting. Sitting ducks and all that. 

It's a touchy subject ain't it.best leave them be then I think..

• Like 2