Arizona Cattle Dogs

Where's the sense in using a wild dog(dingo) to breed a dog for moving livestock??? Be as much use as a cock flavoured lollypop ?At first glance they look like a corgi x, that would explain the merle colours and wall eyes.... 

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Ya Australia isnt made up of bowling greens surrounded by hedges many northern hemisphere were tried and every  collie and working dog bought from England and Europe in the early days failed from heat

I'm struggling to understand what the problem is here .....  There appears to be a place in America called the Arizona cattle dog rescue, which rescues Australian cattle dogs, or am I missin

Our working breeds,cattle dogs,kelpies,roo dogs have been around a long time before Facebook lol, as were the men who fine tuned and worked them for the harsh conditions here.You have to bring in othe

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Daniel cain said:

Where's the sense in using a wild dog(dingo) to breed a dog for moving livestock??? Be as much use as a cock flavoured lollypop ?At first glance they look like a corgi x, that would explain the merle colours and wall eyes.... 

"As much use as a cock flavoured lolly pop " ???

Have I your permission to use that in my upcoming "Book Of Useful Similies" ?

Cheers.

• Like 2
2 hours ago, chartpolski said:

"As much use as a cock flavoured lolly pop " ???

Have I your permission to use that in my upcoming "Book Of Useful Similies" ?

Cheers.

Will you be including: as much use as a friend request button on Michael Gove's facebook page?

• Haha 1
20 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

Ya Australia isnt made up of bowling greens surrounded by hedges many northern hemisphere were tried and every  collie and working dog bought from England and Europe in the early days failed from heat exhaustion and pests. dingo in both cattledogs and kelpies bought heat restance and resistance to ticks. Dingos are a very athletic dog that occurs naturally in the mountains around scone and musswellbrook  where the cattledog was developed for herding semi wild cattle from scrub filled gullies and mountain sides. Even boarder collies were not much good until they were breed for generations weeding out the week and breeding from the strong.

Edited by stevemac
  • Like 6
18 minutes ago, stevemac said:

Ya Australia isnt made up of bowling greens surrounded by hedges many northern hemisphere were tried and every  collie and working dog bought from England and Europe in the early days failed from heat exhaustion and pests. dingo in both cattledogs and kelpies bought heat restance and resistance to ticks. Dingos are a very athletic dog that occurs naturally in the mountains around scone and musswellbrook  where the cattledog was developed for herding semi wild cattle from scrub filled gullies and mountain sides. Even boarder collies were not much good until they were breed for generations weeding out the week and breeding from the strong.

Makes sense to me tried and tested 

20 minutes ago, stevemac said:

dingo in both cattledogs and kelpies bought heat restance and resistance to ticks.

Thats true,when I lived up the coast I was forever pulling ticks off the staffs and lost one to them.There was a cattle dog owned by hippies on a neighbouring property that would come over for a feed and I would often remove multiple paralysis ticks off it,they didn't affect the dog at all.I have no problem with hippies except they smell and don't look after their dogs, lol.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

I can see your doubt but as explained there was a point to it.On the other hand cattle dogs that go feral in sheep country around me are ruthless stock killers and survive in a wild state better than most dogs.One reason I don't like either breed.

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

I can see your doubt but as explained there was a point to it.On the other hand cattle dogs that go feral in sheep country around me are ruthless stock killers and survive in a wild state better than most dogs.One reason I don't like either breed.

That explanation makes sense ?We are talking 150/200 yrs ago then? Not a recent thing to peddle pups? So the dingo blood would be very weak unless you were putting it back in every few gens? Wouldn't there be a fair bit of waste in those litters? 

13 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

That explanation makes sense ?We are talking 150/200 yrs ago then? Not a recent thing to peddle pups? So the dingo blood would be very weak unless you were putting it back in every few gens? Wouldn't there be a fair bit of waste in those litters? 

Ya their would have been in the early days the Kelpie was a product of a collie that was tyed out when in season to draw out dingos to traps a common practice back in the early days in sheep country. Every now and then a dingo would get through the ring of traps and mate the collie. Any pups were ground on and drowned but as with these things some were raised and given a go. They proved them selves well enough to become a new breed. However the next Kelpie to get off a chain and sneak away at night to kill sheep a couple of Kim's away isnt the first and wont be the last.

• Like 2
38 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

I'm not into stock working breeds over here for that reason,I can see the wild dog traits still there,it's still close.Kelpies are probably the best working dogs on Earth but if your not working them they are pains.I had a straight cattle dingo cross and it tried to attack my kids when they were little on numerous occassions,I now only own long domesticated dogs.There are some idiots still breeding dingoes here as pets,madness imo.

• Like 1

They did genetic testing on some of the top Australian kelpie studs a few years back and discovered that they did definitely have dingo in them. Can't remember exactly how much but I've got a book about it so I'll check it out and let you know, but I've got between 4 and 7% in my head.

10 hours ago, gnipper said:

First time should have been its last.

The b*****d was only 8 to 12 weeks and was savage as fck.My kids always had pit type dogs and are kind to animals.I thought the dog would grow out of it with attention being a semi wild dog.I still didn't destroy it and gave it to a bloke who does rural fencing.He reported back later it was the best dog he'd owned.I know dogs as do my kids and didn't expect anything different from the dog being half dingo,just didn't expect the degree of savagery at such a young age.If I was single I would have kept it.

11 hours ago, Neal said:

They did genetic testing on some of the top Australian kelpie studs a few years back and discovered that they did definitely have dingo in them. Can't remember exactly how much but I've got a book about it so I'll check it out and let you know, but I've got between 4 and 7% in my head.

I've heard it's only a small % way back.

15 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

I've heard it's only a small % way back.

It wasn't in the book I was thinking of, so it may have been on the accompanying dvd, but I checked online and it was 4%. I expect it was a case of just enough to make them more drought resistant but not enough for any negative attributes to come through...helped along by the fact that they certainly didn't keep anything which didn't work out. I think there's more in heelers though.

• Like 1