bison returning to the UK

There's are a myriad of reasons why bison, wolves, beaver, Lynx and many other animals don't exist in the UK anymore;

the lack of and change in habitat,

the change in climate,

human progression from hunter/gatherer to agriculturalists,

deforestation,

polution,

persecution,

Taking aminals from their natural habitat, and putting them in enclosures isn't "reintroducing" them, it's just a step up from the old zoo's.

Yeah, wild boar, and maybe beaver, are back in places, but wait 'till they become a nuisance or cause more damage than they are worth, and they'll be wiped out again.

Maybe we should be more concerned about the future of the white hare, the red squirrel, etc, than about animals that died out here eons ago ?

Cheers.

• Like 5

It's stupidity, people in this country have not been raised to live with big dangerous animals. All that will happen in future is more shit like this all over a load of fencing will go up, we,ll pay for an army of green straight out of uni types called willow and Skye etc to "manage" them and half the country will be taped off to AVG joes

54 minutes ago, chartpolski said:

There's are a myriad of reasons why bison, wolves, beaver, Lynx and many other animals don't exist in the UK anymore;

the change in climate,

deforestation,

polution,

persecution,

Taking aminals from their natural habitat, and putting them in enclosures isn't "reintroducing" them, it's just a step up from the old zoo's.

Yeah, wild boar, and maybe beaver, are back in places, but wait 'till they become a nuisance or cause more damage than they are worth, and they'll be wiped out again.

Maybe we should be more concerned about the future of the white hare, the red squirrel, etc, than about animals that died out here eons ago ?

Cheers.

Wild boar was only because of the Animal fights lot 

Fukc the lot of them ,any grazing land is prime housing land ,we can keep livestock in warehouses ,no need for fields ,just build more social housing,we have a lot of people to house !when will you lot wake up ?

3 hours ago, downsouth said:

Its just down the road from me where I do a lot of riding on my mtb and sometimes walk with the dogs where they are going to release them.They've had highland cattle loose in the woods for a few years now and at one point had some rare type of wild goats.They're was also some type of rare wild horses roaming there at on point but I heard they had problems with the males attacking people out riding.f**k knows how it will work as the woods ar rammed with people walking and riding etc every day of the week.

Its natures way of controlling the number of mountain bikers.

• Haha 2
3 hours ago, chartpolski said:

the change in climate,

deforestation,

polution,

persecution,

Cheers.

Can't argue with any of that.

As much as I like the idea of seeing these animals in the British countryside  (imagine a herd of wild Bison stampeding across the Cotswolds and shitting up the locals  :laugh: ), I would fear for their future as an unnatural introduction. 

On 10/07/2020 at 15:08, Born Hunter said:

I'm generally in favour of at least considering 'holistic' approaches to land management and agriculture but this seems a bit meh. They sound about as 'wild' as a donkey and they're being released into one of the most agriculturally developed countries in the world.

I hope they have a positive ecological impact and aren't just some greenies wet dream.

Totally agree mate, and personally I think it’s a gimmick......that could have been done better and easier with pigs or heritage British white cattle or highland types.

Kent is one of the most intensively farmed arable areas in the south.

Regenerative agri requires root structure to work with cattle in conjunction, imho pigs would do a better job of prepping species poor ground, then mixed woodland seeding and cattle once that has established.

Im doing a lot of reading and studying on holistic regenerative agriculture at the minute and it’s fascinating.

• Like 1