Tips For Shooting A Springer?

do not rest it on a hard surface to try and zero.use your hand on top of a rest filled with rice and use a consistant firm hold.do not hold too tight though.repeatability is the key.a springer will teach you how to shoot correctly and will improve your shooting as only near perfect technique will be rewarded with results.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

How did it go, Gaoler?

What are your thoughts on springer versus pcp?

I used to enjoy my HW97 as a plinker, but for hunting and pest control it was in my opinion a complete non-starter- heavy, cumbersome to load, loud and (in my hands) not consistent enough to use on quarry. I was not sorry to see it go.

Hi buddy,

I use a HW97K .177 regularly for static hunting.

IMG_0727.JPG.dc3aa584512aa0d00abd1a20afe718cb.JPG

I use the Primos shooting sticks , double yokel as my gun rest.

The heavier the gun, the better with this style of static hunting ( for me).

Constant, consistent practice is your first port of call, - practice, practice and practice some more.

Rest the gun in the palm of your leading hand, no grip, let her rest easy, let her recoil as she likes.Let the gun rest in the front yokel, hands off

Gently rest the stock in your shoulder, let her rest easy again, let her recoil as she likes.

Be aware of your breathing,

Safety off,

Cross hairs on the point of aim.

Set, then first stage of the trigger taken.

Be aware of your heartbeat and learn with practice to squeeze off " between beats".

Follow through,- keep looking through the scope after the shot.

Perfect consistent practice, makes perfect consistent results.

Just the basics Gaoler but the consistent practice brings results.

Good luck buddy.

• Like 2

I will be interested to hear how you went on but will not be at all surprised if you struggled and that is not being unkind just simply remembering how hard I found my TX200hc, I could just about keep the shots on a post card.  I watched pianoman (Simon) and Bigmac (Jimmy) and even little hunter (Ethan) all make it look so bloody easy but I was shitshot with it UNTIL I had it tuned and then the story changed and it was a tack driver even for me.

Hopefully I will be meeting up with Si next week to get my hands on the 99 after he has tuned it, I was pleased before it went so really looking forward to seeing how it handles now.

Phil

• Like 1

Been out and the rifle shoots fantastic, zeroed in at 28 yards, it grouped well and that’s probably me still getting used to the gun. It is so smooth with little recoil, the more I shot it, it seemed to get smoother! Took 3 rabbits with it at 30 yards so well chuffed, there is something very satisfying about shooting a Springer!

Its my first time with a Springer, now tuned with a Vortek PG3 by agrtuning.

Tony is a top bloke, thanks for recommending him Si ?

• Like 3
On 04/07/2020 at 09:07, mark williams said:

Hi buddy,

Constant, consistent practice is your first port of call, - practice, practice and practice some more.

Rest the gun in the palm of your leading hand, no grip, let her rest easy, let her recoil as she likes.Let the gun rest in the front yokel, hands off

Gently rest the stock in your shoulder, let her rest easy again, let her recoil as she likes.

Safety off,

Be aware of your heartbeat and learn with practice to squeeze off " between beats".

Good luck buddy.

Won't it of flown off by then mate....

?

• Haha 3
On 04/07/2020 at 09:07, mark williams said:

Hi buddy,

Safety off,

Good luck buddy.

Does the yokel object to you resting on him? :laugh:

Ha! Ha! Geoff` the head keeper I helped out as a kid, always called a v shaped gun rest a Yocal ( spelling ? ) .

Apparently " Yocal", after googling it, means unsophisticated country people, country bumpkin, hillbilly etc, etc ( a bit deep from the 19th century attitudes I read) .

Did you and Sausage Roll know my head keeper Walshie ? :rolleyes: :laugh:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1