7 minutes ago, Greyman said:

Feck me I have a roller cutter, long nose pliers and a bit of mdf  ????

Not that much though if you check the pic out.....it’s mainly if you do tapers which I much prefer, for speed and the fact there’s more chance of them busting at the pouch end...reduces the chance of me getting a band in the face.

IMG_1739.jpeg.3620d34fde13c82f79fc7c608eaf0592.jpeg

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

made a straddle from laburnum wood fits my hand a treat

I lost a bit of form recently so decided to use the gzk .66 that short straw sent me. I had a load of 7mm bearings that you get as freebies from balls of steel not doing anything so used them...WOW...

Tubes last longer, not as accurate some say......I don’t use tubes. Yes flat stuff equals bands. If you do buy a catapult try a scout copy off eBay.....they’re  vary in price...... but generally £8 -£

Posted Images

2 hours ago, two crows said:

thanks lads I wont buy yet till I have heard/seen a bit more cheers, is the flat stuff what you call bands  ? and how does that compare to tube, ta

Tubes last longer, not as accurate some say......I don’t use tubes. Yes flat stuff equals bands. If you do buy a catapult try a scout copy off eBay.....they’re  vary in price...... but generally £8 -£14. These allow ttf or ott have clips for band attachment. Maybe try ott first if your out of practice, also slightly easier to do ott bands.

If you buy a roll of band say gzk green .66 about £12 for 2 meters.....last you ages. All the stuff in my pic is cheap to buy and guarantees you’ll make bands as good as anyone else

• Like 3
16 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Another catapult I like is the simple shot occularis......might not be everyone’s cup of tea......but I love it.

I shoot it ott and hold it with my finger around it and my thumb on the front...not sure if it’s called pinch grip or brace...?

The bands hold in place with two rubber bungs and two ball bearings....simple but takes a couple of goes to get the hang of.

Its at least as accurately as both the scouts for me....lovely catapult.

I’ve always fancied a occularis, I think it would suit my way of shooting ( instinctive ).

I think the biggest plus with the scout types in the ability to take the bands off and either alter the position or, in my case, keep shortening the length of the bands because I didn't trim them short enough and they're not giving me enough power.

• Like 2
20 hours ago, Neal said:

I think the biggest plus with the scout types in the ability to take the bands off and either alter the position or, in my case, keep shortening the length of the bands because I didn't trim them short enough and they're not giving me enough power.

Have you measured your draw length from the far edge of your forks to your pouch at full draw? Roughly divide by 5.....,

eg my draw 75cm / 5= draw length of 15 cm,.  Template for the Taper of your choice worth it’s weight in gold...tenner at Celtic cattys.

• Like 1
21 hours ago, Mr Wilkes said:

I’ve always fancied a occularis, I think it would suit my way of shooting ( instinctive ).

It’s a great catapult, it’s one of those like the scout that you always return to ( well I do anyway) unlike some you can buy then after a few outings get left at home. The band attachment although good is I bit more time consuming than the scout, but still effective. I find it lovely in the hand, thumb on front, index finger wrapped around.......with my little finger tucked into the slit at the bottom of the from. It doesn’t look too fancy, but it works, fairly slim too. Just have to make sure you line bands up right.

Torque hasn’t appealed to me as of yet though, might try in the future as I do tend to gel with simple shot catapults that I’ve tried.

I will be buying another scout lt and occularis in the future as spares.

• Like 1

afternoon catty practice and it's blowing a fxxxcking gale. wait till September when you want it to blow for longnetting and you will be able to hear a fxxxcking duck fart in Manchester it's sods fxxxcking law. 

• Haha 1
6 hours ago, Shortstraw said:

Have you measured your draw length from the far edge of your forks to your pouch at full draw? Roughly divide by 5.....,

eg my draw 75cm / 5= draw length of 15 cm,.  Template for the Taper of your choice worth it’s weight in gold...tenner at Celtic cattys.

Gee! I've got little arms; mine was 66cm. (From the inside edge)

So do I divide that by five and then add 2cm for the width of the forks where the bands are folded round?

11 minutes ago, Neal said:

So do I divide that by five and then add 2cm for the width of the forks where the bands are folded round?

I’d divide by five, so 13.2..cm..... but I tend to add a little more on so I’d round up to 14cm.

Then depends on the catapult how much you need for forks...eg scout lt....I only add about .5cm on that end, but the pouch end anything from 1 to 2 cm what ever is easiest because you will chop excess off from pouch.

How ever on the occularis that simple shot do I have to add more on at the front.

What catapult you got?

I had a decent short video of someone using a Celtic catty template and how they add extra on either end if I can find it I’ll post it on this thread.

• Like 1
On 24/06/2020 at 20:34, Neal said:

I've got some ball bearings which my brother gave me (I think they're 8mm but I'm not sure) but I mainly use hexnuts after reading a thread a few years ago on here about how effective they are. To be honest, the main reason I prefer them is that I find them easier to secure in the right position in the pouch.

I've also still got some marbles which I bought cheap (from poundland) when I started practising with the Scout. The only reason that I've still got a lot left is that my kelpie bitch (also called Scout) had such a gorod nose that she almost always found all of them after I'd shot them!

Id just bulk buy some ball bearings from that fella ( somebody can find out his name hopefully ) about 6000 8mm for about £38.    He does do smaller amounts.

im no expert but I’m sure you’d get better results with using steel/ lead balls. Right consistent band size as well and I’d bet your consistency would rocket.

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, Neal said:

Posted this on another thread, but maybe of use to you, just cutting using Celtic catty template.....although they’re out of stock until next week.

• Like 1

Using some Pilate bands at the moment comes in a loop like a big elastic band, just cut it with scissors and split it along the middle with your roller cutter the bands are 50mm wide so you get 2 lengths of 25mm, have tried a few different ones, latex free don’t work very well, but these red ones I have at the moment are really nice, ✌️

AEC6F0D1-19CA-412F-9B36-EA1D4FD209F0.jpeg

0A6F4DDC-8F90-47AF-8DF5-1BEA4A83FA01.png

• Like 1