I did yes, nice combo ( .66 and the pouch).

these days I mainly hunt squirrels and for me I wouldn’t go any lower than .8 band and 11mm steel. They are tough feckers and to consistently kill you need to up the ante. But now and then I don’t perform as accurate as I should do I put on a light set up and gain my form back.

• Like 1

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

made a straddle from laburnum wood fits my hand a treat

I lost a bit of form recently so decided to use the gzk .66 that short straw sent me. I had a load of 7mm bearings that you get as freebies from balls of steel not doing anything so used them...WOW...

Tubes last longer, not as accurate some say......I don’t use tubes. Yes flat stuff equals bands. If you do buy a catapult try a scout copy off eBay.....they’re  vary in price...... but generally £8 -£

Posted Images

How do you find the simpleshot scout compares to the original scout. I loved mine when I first got it but after the bands went I don't seem to be as consistent with new sets. I'm wondering if it;s because the originals where latex?

I’ve shot a lot of stuff with the original scout  (Xt) but the new scout lt Is something  else. I only bought it in May and I could bore the feck outa people with pics of what I’ve shot with it, once you match your ammo with your bands it’s unbelievable. What ammo you using Neal ?.

I've got some ball bearings which my brother gave me (I think they're 8mm but I'm not sure) but I mainly use hexnuts after reading a thread a few years ago on here about how effective they are. To be honest, the main reason I prefer them is that I find them easier to secure in the right position in the pouch.

I've also still got some marbles which I bought cheap (from poundland) when I started practising with the Scout. The only reason that I've still got a lot left is that my kelpie bitch (also called Scout) had such a good nose that she almost always found all of them after I'd shot them!

You won’t go wrong with the new scout lt , if your shooting pigeons, rabbits and close squirrels then get some gzk green .7 Cut at 25/20 and some 9.5mm steel from “ Balls of steel” Suffolk .. a cheap enough combo that’ll put food on the table.

22 hours ago, Neal said:

Thanks for the advice. I think I might treat myself to one of the new ones and pass the other one onto my son or daughter if I prefer it.

Another catapult I like is the simple shot occularis......might not be everyone’s cup of tea......but I love it.

I shoot it ott and hold it with my finger around it and my thumb on the front...not sure if it’s called pinch grip or brace...?

The bands hold in place with two rubber bungs and two ball bearings....simple but takes a couple of goes to get the hang of.

Its at least as accurately as both the scouts for me....lovely catapult.

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 2
8 hours ago, two crows said:

I was thinking of making a catapult the other day its been 40 odd years, but you lot make it sound very technical, can you still get ordinary square lastick

same here mate thought they all used the old milbro. got good advice on here and a basic gadder as we call them around here, handy tool when out mooching with little dog. 

• Like 1
9 hours ago, two crows said:

I was thinking of making a catapult the other day its been 40 odd years, but you lot make it sound very technical, can you still get ordinary square lastick

It’s not technical......not much harder than making a cup of tea.

All the information is here if you need advice just fire away.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, two crows said:

so can I make my own wooden one and use the bands being talked of, and which are good ones to start with, any pics of what  you lads use would be lnteresting, ta.

Alright mate no what you mean, seems a bit of a minefield after a long time away but the principles are still the same a nice Y shaped stick, some elastic and a leather pouch, main difference is with all the physio and palate bands around we are spoilt for choice, people now cut precision pouch,s using a dye rather than cut the tongue from an old leather boot with a pair of scissors, but the basics don’t change, here are a few of my naturals, old wooden forks with either a hole cross drilled through the tips for tubes or a groove in the tip from a round file to hold flat bands, the old square elastic took so much effort to pull back that you were unable to aim properly were as the newer stuff  has a lighter draw allowing you to take aim before you fire, it’s not as complex as some would have you believe and everything you need is available on eBay  to make yourself or pre made for you, don’t be afraid to ask mate and you,ll soon be an expert ?? p,s credit for the fork on the right goes to mr Wilkes ?

AF561144-C6FF-4A4F-9E31-B53D5067C600.jpeg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, two crows said:

so can I make my own wooden one and use the bands being talked of, and which are good ones to start with, any pics of what  you lads use would be lnteresting, ta.

Yes piece of cake......

Youl’ll need .......Roller cutter, green craft mat, band template, band jig  ( easy enough to make your own), band material, pouch, crystal string to tie to pouch.....clamp scissor things.

Ill post a pic of the stuff I use.

Lot of people use gzk bands or sheshou. Sheshou from cattushack, gzk from Celtic cattys......also available at other places. Precise is also a good band.

Lots of people taper their bands.....makes them faster.

Youtube is amazing for tutorials. Give it a go, might be a bit frustrating at first, but it’s enjoyable and once you’ve done a few you’ll be knocking a set in in minutes.....and saving money, because the bands don’t last long.

25/20 .66 band green for 9.5mm steel balls....

18/13 .66 band green 8mm steel balls.... both as a guide

Mr Wilkes will point you in the right direction of band and taper if you shoot 11mm steel.

You can get a band template form Celtic cattys for a tenner.

IMG_1739.jpeg.ccae3b0b18fcfe4e5116f5310c0ebdf4.jpeg

Edited by Shortstraw
  • Like 1
2 minutes ago, Shortstraw said:

Yes piece of cake......

Youl’ll need .......Roller cutter, green craft mat, band template, band jig  ( easy enough to make your own), band material, pouch, crystal string to tie to pouch.....clamp scissor things.

Ill post a pic of the stuff I use.

Lot of people use gzk bands or sheshou. Sheshou from cattushack, gzk from Celtic cattys......also available at other places. Precise is also a good band.

Lots of people taper their bands.....makes them faster.

Youtube is amazing for tutorials. Give it a go, might be a bit frustrating at first, but it’s enjoyable and once you’ve done a few you’ll be knocking a set in in minutes.....and saving money, because the bands don’t last long.

25/20 .66 band green for 9.5mm steel balls....

18/13 .66 band green 8mm steel balls.... both as a guide

Mr Wilkes will point you in the right direction of band and taper if you shoot 11mm steel.

You can get a band template form Celtic cattys for a tenner.

Feck me I have a roller cutter, long nose pliers and a bit of mdf  ????

• Like 2
  • Haha 1