Dead fish culprit???

Just found a dead perch next to pond. It was well up on bank so something has taken it out the pond. Seen the heron quite a bit recently, maybe grabbed it and dropped it? But the only thing eaten of it is the guts and gill rakers. Isn't that what otters and mink do? Heron would swallow it whole, rats or cats would eat the lot. Anyone seen similar before? 

I don't think there are otters around here but mink is possible.

IMG-20200528-WA0049.jpg

Should do the job, I don't use anything more expensive, incase someone finds them ?... Maybe put something fishy down bait wise and cover it with a rock.... I used to use grayling and lamprey chunks in my live catch traps, caught regalur for yrs until the otters appeared..... Then the mink disappeared.... On 3 separate rivers?

I've read loads of times that you never get them both in the same area but I saw them regular on a Scottish loch within a hundred yards of each other over a number of years, maybe it depends on food supply this loch was stocked and lifting with rainbows

• Like 1
8 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Trap going out tomoz and I was just looking at trail cams on Amazon.

Anyone recommend any good ones? Just reading reviews on this one.

Screenshot_20200528-225808_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Ordered this one, should be here today.

Definitely animal whatever it was, the pond is in my back garden so no poles or pikeys on here!?

I've been thinking of getting one for a while so this has given me the excuse. Be interested to see what frequents the garden at night. 

Otter predation tends to be a fillet removed from a fish then left, if it’s a big fish normally has claw marks on the body and bite marks round the mouth I recon it was a mink and yes apemans are pretty good cameras I have a couple used to be very expensive until the nips flooded the market , believe it or not I live in a semi on a very busy road, and last night I had 2 hedgehogs a rat and a young vixen through my garden vixen was quite interesting as she had obviously learned to look for nests and was walking on top the hedge sniffing them out ?

• Like 1
10 hours ago, ryaldinhio said:

Trap going out tomoz and I was just looking at trail cams on Amazon.

Anyone recommend any good ones? Just reading reviews on this one.

Screenshot_20200528-225808_Amazon Shopping.jpg

Do they take quality pics

• Like 1