17 hours ago, DIDO.1 said:

Does anyone come across black rats on their patch? Anyone any experience of them? 

Used to go with a pro pester to the 'caking warehouses' over on Birkenhead docks about 30 years ago and caught a fair few with my dogs. Fecking agile things, run up anything.

I'm trying to write a bit of a book on pest control. Obviously certain species Iv never had any contact with. I just thought it would be good research and hopefully see a couple of the more obscure pests. (obviously making it clear I'd no experience with them and writing about it honestly and the adventure of trying to document them). 

Most of the rats I get calls about are black rats or 'rat grenier' meaning attic rats. I've only seen a few brown rats over here. They tend to live in the roof spaces or wall voids, but the detached garden over the road from us has had them under the concrete floor of the garage. They come under the road using the drains and into our garden under the front gate. I've trapped and shot a few and always have traps set next to the front gate and at the back of the house next to the garage door.

When I see them in the neighbouring garden I'll pop over the road, stand just outside the gate with my air pistol and knock them off as they come out to sniff for the micro pellets I scatter about.

12 hours ago, mole trapper said:

There are still small colonies of rattus rattus in Liverpool, Bristol and east end docks, all watched very closely by the ministry.

Really, by defra? 

Maybe if I contact them? 

6 hours ago, Torquemada said:

I don't believe there are any now resident in the UK, outside of the training facility in Hampshire. 

That's what I'm beginning to think but I'll try defra, don't know if they will entertain it though