ROC bunkers

So to fill my days I have been looking for places localish to explore. My neighbour told me about ROC posts. I can hand on heart say I’ve never heard of them before and was intrigued. So a wee bit digging and delving I found out there was one nearby that was unlocked (a lot you need a special key for, I have the blueprint but require someone to fabricate it)  There was a daily log, cups, tea pots, and 2 toilet papers, bearing in mind these were made redundant in 1991

anyway 16ish miles on the pushbike and I have visited my first one. 

interesting to say the least!!

Royal Observer Corps Monitoring Posts are underground structures all over the United Kingdom, constructed as a result of the Corps' nuclear reporting role and operated by volunteers during the Cold War between 1955 and 1991.

i have loads of photos but THL only allows the 3 at a time.

CC37C94D-B80F-4608-889D-F72C047DF360.jpeg

799E8872-998D-465C-AB71-D4AF6008F309.jpeg

72A1D6E5-888D-4201-A5A4-41E4951327C1.jpeg

• Like 8

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So to fill my days I have been looking for places localish to explore. My neighbour told me about ROC posts. I can hand on heart say I’ve never heard of them before and was intrigued. So a wee bit dig

If it was this time 8 weeks ago....

There's a tunnel goes right under Newcastle from the town moor to the Tyne. It was built in the 1800's to transport coal from the outlying mines to the ships for export. It had to be a tunnel as the F

Posted Images

Interesting stuff, I had a look online and nearest ones been flattened and ploughed over shame really, I was in a pillbox type affair up on portland other day, the roof  girder has rusted through and the front half of the roof had slipped down so you couldn't see the sea out the slots. Inside was teen party central so I didn't bother with pics. 

• Like 1
6 minutes ago, forest of dean redneck said:

Interesting stuff, I had a look online and nearest ones been flattened and ploughed over shame really, I was in a pillbox type affair up on portland other day, the roof  girder has rusted through and the front half of the roof had slipped down so you couldn't see the sea out the slots. Inside was teen party central so I didn't bother with pics. 

https://www.theurbanexplorer.co.uk/portland-rotor-bunker-dorset/

• Like 1

There's a tunnel goes right under Newcastle from the town moor to the Tyne. It was built in the 1800's to transport coal from the outlying mines to the ships for export. It had to be a tunnel as the Freemen of Newcastle owned the town moor, and what is now St. James park, and wouldn't allow an overland line.

It was converted to air raid shelters during the war, and during the slum clearances of the late 50s and early 60s in our area, we found an entrance. Down a rusty old ladder into the darkness with our torches we went, health and safety wasn't invented then to stop our adventures, and to us kids it was like finding a hidden treasure trove !

There was gas masks and cases, tin hats, old A.R.P uniforms, enamel mugs and plates, paraffin lamps, we were all running around dressed like Mr. Hodges from Dads Army ! Great fun !

Its now been cleared out, whitewashed and electric lights installed and the council gives guided tours.

I can't believe it's any where near as much fun as when I was down there with my pals and our imaginations all those years ago !

Cheers.

• Like 5

We broke into one as kids,we knocked off the corner of the concrete slab and you had to drop down and when you hit a bar turn and grab out for the ladder,then climb down about 20 odd feet.There was everything still in there,cpus,kettles,beds every thing and we'd be down there hours messing about but none of us would ever wreck anything as we thought it really cool.Then one twat brought his big brother and he turned on the derv pipe for the generator and flooded the place with 40,000 odd gallons of red derv.The lid was then made of steel and we lost the best den in the world..

Just to add it was on Harnham Hill on the outskirts of Salisbury..

Edited by fireman
  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
8 hours ago, fireman said:

We broke into one as kids,we knocked off the corner of the concrete slab and you had to drop down and when you hit a bar turn and grab out for the ladder,then climb down about 20 odd feet.There was everything still in there,cpus,kettles,beds every thing and we'd be down there hours messing about but none of us would ever wreck anything as we thought it really cool.Then one twat brought his big brother and he turned on the derv pipe for the generator and flooded the place with 40,000 odd gallons of red derv.The lid was then made of steel and we lost the best den in the world..

I suppose it depends on location and accessibility too though doesn’t it? 

the one I was it was a few miles outside the nearest town and in the middle of a sheep field.

ADC52CEE-8822-40D1-9FED-1B1762A8FAEF.jpeg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, fireman said:

There is loads in that surrounding area

B5D662D2-F355-48EF-A859-A198BC65847C.jpeg

• Like 1
11 hours ago, fireman said:

we broke in to one in the early eighties hack sawed the padlock off ,we did not trash the place but we robbed everything we could .I had boxes and boxes of army rations for years later 

• Haha 1