Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

4am start yesterday morning . Chilly to start but started to warm up from 5am hence I only saw 2 does to start with . By 6am it was nice and warm and I was heading back when I spotted a buck frolicking with a young doe. I was 400 yards away and had to cross open ground but seeing as they were engrossed with each other I managed to stalk along the top hedge unnoticed . The buck then laid down which enabled me to sneak up to within 140 yds. I was watching him through the scope deciding on whether to take a head shot when he obligingly stood up so onto the shoulder and he dropped on the spot. On going to pick him up he wasn't there but I quickly found him just a couple of yards away where he had dropped into a ditch ?

DSC00246.JPG

• Like 3

Now I know that this will be of little interest to most of you as driven pheasants are not your thing, mine neither but I am an unintentional gamekeeper and the numbers I’ve just been told are mental and has put the shooting of flying chickens well out of reach for the common man that likes to buy a day or two, the estate out the back of my syndicate put a price of £100 a bird this year up from £65 last year, they are now doing a 100 bird day for £10,000, the bloke I was talking to said he had booked a day in late November on a big shoot for £4500, Jesus, theses are bloody pheasants, on the estate out the back of me you could shoot 100 birds off two drives and then you are paying to shoot over the bag at £100 a bird or you are calling it a day, he said that a syndicate he is involved in has let a day for £4000 for 60 bird day and we should give it some thought with the way costs are rising 

• Sad 1

I cannot understand how people pay these mad prices a mate whose involved in a shoot offered me a day for £600 a few years back and I thought he was on drugs, If I want a pheasant or two I go and shoot them simple as that, I suppose it’s the social side of things that appeals to some I’m glad I’m unsociable.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

I get why people like it because if you get a good group of people it’s a really good day out, I don’t shoot at my place but wouldn’t miss a day there, at the minute our members pay £65 a day, I don’t know of any other shoot/syndicate that is that cheap, I’ve already been offered £400 for someone to come and shoot as a guest

• Like 2

Grab the £400 mate. I have been involved with a lot of shoots over the years ....beating and shooting but realised I would much rather be mooching about on my own than listen to a lot of the cr*p you hear.

I am out shooting 52 weeks of the year, dont know how these guys only get out on 8 pheasant shoots a year .

• Like 2

It’s not about the money for me, it’s about all the other shooting opportunities I get from keepering this one, I get to invite people that otherwise wouldn’t get to shoot somewhere like this, I wouldn’t thank you for a day shooting pigeons it just doesn’t interest me, each to their own, at least these that only go out shooting pheasants are not trying to get the shooting I like, we are lucky with our syndicate in that there’s only one knobhead the rest are a really good bunch of lads and lasses

Edited by Stavross
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

It’s not about the money for me, it’s about all the other shooting opportunities I get from keepering this one, I get to invite people that otherwise wouldn’t get to shoot somewhere like this, I wouldn’t thank you for a day shooting pigeons it just doesn’t interest me, each to their own, at least these that only go out shooting pheasants are not trying to get the shooting I like, we are lucky with our syndicate in that there’s only one knobhead the rest are a really good bunch of lads and lasses

Sounds like you’ve got a good thing going on there and I have driven past your shoot it’s a stunning part of the country and your right the networking side of it opens up a lot of opportunities, I used to be a regular hunt follower I had ratting invites more digging than I could handle shooting opportunity’s you name it, I turned my back on it all because I new if I carried on following that particular hunt I would have been arrested for assault it was continuously plagued with hunt saboteurs every meet.

I hardly see anyone now, I must admit sometimes it would be handy to have some one to hold the lamp ?but the constant chatter the smoking I’ve had it all in the past and it drives me nuts.

Looking at your prices it wouldn’t be unreasonable to up the rates the syndicate sound like there having a result.