Back up at the shoot

• Replies 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Up at the shoot first thing this morning, bird scare tape up around the pens, elec fences on and tested, water on and drinkers tested and adjusted, water butts filled again over the piggeries, I had l

Well our first shoot of the year went well. It was cold but dry and a bit of sun appeared. Bag was 122 head comprising of 57 duck 56 pheasant 7 partridge and 2 pigeon. My own contribution wa

It’s been frosty the last couple of mornings, it’s very welcome , hopefully it will kill a few bugs . Unfortunately the Maize and cover crops don’t like it and they will soon be unviable as a drive .

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, FOXHUNTER said:

Could well be knocked on the head for this season shortly with the way things are developing ?

Yeah, I don’t think we’ll be shooting into January, the infection rate is higher around here than it is in tier 4 areas, I hope I’m wrong ?

We always have a Boxing Day shoot . 10.00 am meet in the fisherman’s car park. It’s a boundary day/morning. The only difference this year is the bun fight / meal afterwards , that is usually a venison stew  with a French stick and wine is not going to happen. But the shooting will , and it will be followed by a socially distanced flask of tea after . I absolutely love this day , all the youngsters are out with new boots and coats or guns . Their enthusiasm is infectious , and I get a real kick out of seeing the next generation turn a pheasant inside out , or “ pillow case” one , and then carry it around and jealously guard it , to make sure they take their own pheasant home to eat . 
            If the shoot I look after is a litmus test for the rest of the country, then shooting is in good health. All the lads who started their shooting lives under our wing are still keen shots . They are all working and responsible young men . And Katie , the one girl who used to be my number one beater is now training to be midwife . Is game shooting responsible for helping to form decent adults, or does it just attract decent people, who see the benefits of healthy outdoor pursuits ? Whatever the answer , all of us who take part in game shoots enjoy a great way of life that we value and wish to pass down to the youngsters.

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
1 hour ago, shovel leaner said:

Whatever the answer , all of us who take part in game shoots enjoy a great way of life that we value and wish to pass down to the youngsters.

I think that is a key part of it, and I don't have an answer as to why but you see it time and again that people who shoot want to introduce it to the lives of youngsters. I guess its because we simply know the good it feeds our souls on so many levels. The joys of success, importance of self belief with dignity. The chance to really learn how our countryside works & how each species interacts with the other.

I think you can learn lessons that see you through life by being a shooter (driven, rough, pigeon, fox, wildfowl).  And that is why I want my daughter to follow me & I'm also taking a 20yr old Nottingham city centre lad out with me in New year. ?

• Like 4
11 hours ago, BenBhoy said:

I think that is a key part of it, and I don't have an answer as to why but you see it time and again that people who shoot want to introduce it to the lives of youngsters. I guess its because we simply know the good it feeds our souls on so many levels. The joys of success, importance of self belief with dignity. The chance to really learn how our countryside works & how each species interacts with the other.

I think you can learn lessons that see you through life by being a shooter (driven, rough, pigeon, fox, wildfowl).  And that is why I want my daughter to follow me & I'm also taking a 20yr old Nottingham city centre lad out with me in New year. ?

Will he be bringing his bow? ?

• Haha 1

I’m not interested in shotguns, but as soon as I see snow it’s the first thing that comes into my head, flushing a pheasant from a hedge back  or a duck off a stream in a winter’s scene, magical ? you always get a bit more of the white stuff than we do up your way, is it the first time the puppy has seen snow

• Like 1

I’m envious of the snow , looks very festive. We’ve got floods here in Gloucestershire. Roads closed and a house in the village flooded out . Not very nice just before Christmas. The road into the village was flooded , and I went to feed this morning and there was a car in the middle of the flood water up to the engine. Why do some people look at a large area of water in the road and think , “ I’m driving a James Bond car , I can sail across that “ ?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
1 hour ago, Stavross said:

In my raving days I remember been snowed in a couple of times around annfield plain and dipton, 6 of us in a Citroen AX trying to get back to Stockton on Boxing Day to go to a all night rave ? happy days ?

So getting the .223 wasn't the start of chavness!! 

• Haha 2