Surprised by the amount of gear seen

Out for a little wonder yesterday late afternoon early evening I was very surprised at the amount of wildlife I see about in one sitting I’ve seen the odd couple of rabbits on my stomping ground recently a few deer here an there the odd fox but decided I’d make it a decent walk with the dogs to unfamiliar territory I crossed out the valley probably 2 villages or so away I was completely shocked at the amount of stuff I was seeing I must of seen 50 or so rabbits easy loads of young rabbit kitts playing about roe an fox plenty of pheasants an even a hedge hog that’s the most rabbits I’ve seen in 2yrs living out this way I’m thinking I’m definitely going to need to explore this lands properly check out all the entrances an exits off the land I only done what I’d consider a small trip covering 7-8mile total I don’t think many if anyone gets down there because it’s a bit of a hot bed of stuff I was telling my little group of people I hunt with that come down for a lamp through out the season about it hopefully this spot holds out should be some good nights across there this coming season couple of the fields looked heavy stoney/bolders  so I’ll not be interested in them fields I’m hoping to get another van to get back in the game with a bit of traveling about to all my old spots I’ve run for years plus all the new spots I’m really looking forward to this coming season with the  new young bitch to bring on that’s far better suited to all my lands a lot more sturdy built for it. I’m wondering if this virus as had a impact on how game’s breeding in areas with people not traveling about so far on walks an stuff I wonder if it’s giving game a fulse sence of security 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, poxon said:

Out for a little wonder yesterday late afternoon early evening I was very surprised at the amount of wildlife I see about in one sitting I’ve seen the odd couple of rabbits on my stomping ground recently a few deer here an there the odd fox but decided I’d make it a decent walk with the dogs to unfamiliar territory I crossed out the valley probably 2 villages or so away I was completely shocked at the amount of stuff I was seeing I must of seen 50 or so rabbits easy loads of young rabbit kitts playing about roe an fox plenty of pheasants an even a hedge hog that’s the most rabbits I’ve seen in 2yrs living out this way I’m thinking I’m definitely going to need to explore this lands properly check out all the entrances an exits off the land I only done what I’d consider a small trip covering 7-8mile total I don’t think many if anyone gets down there because it’s a bit of a hot bed of stuff I was telling my little group of people I hunt with that come down for a lamp through out the season about it hopefully this spot holds out should be some good nights across there this coming season couple of the fields looked heavy stoney/bolders  so I’ll not be interested in them fields I’m hoping to get another van to get back in the game with a bit of traveling about to all my old spots I’ve run for years plus all the new spots I’m really looking forward to this coming season with the  new young bitch to bring on that’s far better suited to all my lands a lot more sturdy built for it. I’m wondering if this virus as had a impact on how game’s breeding in areas with people not traveling about so far on walks an stuff I wonder if it’s giving game a fulse sence of security 

wish you all the best, I really do. you just need that slice of luck. no disease or anything and hopefully come September they will be there?

3 minutes ago, iworkwhippets said:

sounds good that does pal, summat look forward to eh

It does sound good mate I’ve my fingers crossed but I’ve had fulse hope before finding a decent spot that was holding decent numbers on the rabbit front to be wiped out a couple of months before the season started by that vhd1 virus I was finding dead perfect condition rabbits everywhere it was a sickner because I was hoping to get a really good rabbit catch dog that could rack up some decent numbers in a night 

1 minute ago, fred90 said:

wish you all the best, I really do. you just need that slice of luck. no disease or anything and hopefully come September they will be there?

Cheers mate I hope I have that luck an on the dog front that nothing happens in between ??Got my fingers crossed ?? 

Seen my first load of young drummers yesterday evening and watched 3 cubs and a vixen mousing on some old factory site by the river..... Bitch was doing cartwheels?I've got a trailcam out and caught lots of images, loads of song birds about, lots of ducklings on the river?should be a good season ?STC_0017.JPG.72e061e1b837646d7dea3ceba1a5549a.JPGSTC_0027.JPG.9a157605cda12a4132156c5f865180d0.JPG

• Like 10
13 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Seen my first load of young drummers yesterday evening and watched 3 cubs and a vixen mousing on some old factory site by the river..... Bitch was doing cartwheels?I've got a trailcam out and caught lots of images, loads of song birds about, lots of ducklings on the river?should be a good season ?STC_0017.JPG.72e061e1b837646d7dea3ceba1a5549a.JPGSTC_0027.JPG.9a157605cda12a4132156c5f865180d0.JPG

One thing I’ve not seen in any numbers out this way is badgers seen the odd one we’re I lived before they were everywhere the f***ing things would spoil some spots you dropped on for a shine but still nice to see same as all the other wildlife about it’s all nice to see. Got the same problem with the cartwheeling the sight of fox sends her in to overdrive one taster it’s been like a light switch we’re as any thing else is a tight lead that we see like I’m game for a run I’m hoping it’s a good sign of good things to come. Bet them trail cams are good not just for wildlife spotting ?

Shine a lamp by me and you only see Billy, foxes the odd rabbit, got those pics from a sett about 1/4 mile from the house, want to see anything else head 50 miles over the border to tingaland. 

48 minutes ago, Daniel cain said:

Shine a lamp by me and you only see Billy, foxes the odd rabbit, got those pics from a sett about 1/4 mile from the house, want to see anything else head 50 miles over the border to tingaland.

You see many otters on your cameras dc 

57 minutes ago, Blackmag said:

You see many otters on your cameras dc 

I bought them for keeping track of the otters, just not able to travel to the wye in lockdown... When I can get back up there I hopefully get some footage. Saw a few just before Xmas, they seem to only be in the main river when it's at its highest, don't see them under normal summer conditions, few yrs back there was loads of mink but they seem to have gone... Same on my local river when they released otters few yrs back. 

5 hours ago, Daniel cain said:

I bought them for keeping track of the otters, just not able to travel to the wye in lockdown... When I can get back up there I hopefully get some footage. Saw a few just before Xmas, they seem to only be in the main river when it's at its highest, don't see them under normal summer conditions, few yrs back there was loads of mink but they seem to have gone... Same on my local river when they released otters few yrs back. 

Mr DC

If they have the same patterns as American ones they are on main river in winter but spend the spring and summer in creeks ditches ponds even a mudhole.I believe they can sniff out carp  and catfish as they love them.There diet this time of year seems to be more crayfish and frogs.Wintertime they mostly eat fish.Carp and shad.Dont know if they are the same but hope it helps.

• Like 1