Where the hell did we come from ???

22 minutes ago, baker boy said:

So is it not worth doing it then

Yes I think it is, you just have to remember that the smaller the ethnic group the less reliable it is. I mean in fairness, mine put me from the East Mids which imo is fecking spot on, lol, but a year or so back when I first had it done it reckoned I was predominantly West European (continental Europe, not UK). That's not surprising because English and W.Europe will be two very closely matching groups but it shows that they probably weren't able to accurately differentiate to that level back then.

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's easy mate... Just pull a tooth, one of the back ones so you don't look silly, then post it to these guys https://www.ancestry.co.uk/  

I swear if they ever find a black Viking y'all will never hear the end of it from me ??

That can’t be right because Max clearly said that Henry VIII had the Tudor version of Jimmy Hendrix playing at his wedding and traitors gate was the start of the Nottinghill Carnival ? 

Posted Images

4 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I have lost my original one but here’s mine from a year or so ago.

FB020B12-C360-4B68-AAF6-A112986C932E.jpeg.f4d83471886e92b8581f3e47e02a7012.jpeg

and here’s mine from today.

D77D3548-7297-406D-A87C-39E9B74E60AB.jpeg.985869c4b82c89eb36fc6818e72dbacd.jpeg

Where did you go for the tests and what were the costs? 

15 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I have lost my original one but here’s mine from a year or so ago.

FB020B12-C360-4B68-AAF6-A112986C932E.jpeg.f4d83471886e92b8581f3e47e02a7012.jpeg

and here’s mine from today.

D77D3548-7297-406D-A87C-39E9B74E60AB.jpeg.985869c4b82c89eb36fc6818e72dbacd.jpeg

That’s fairly broad map layout, mine was much narrower, defining specific areas in specific countries......

33 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

My understanding is that they define ethnic groups by profiling individuals that they consider representative of that ethnicity. So they do a heap of research on a persons family history and if they appear to have strong and long roots to that area that individual is considered to be representative of that ethnicity. They'll do this for as many people as practical and for as many other areas/ethnicities as practical and then look for bits of dna that commonly occur in a given ethnic group so as to genetically identify that ethnicity. But it's not like they have a 'German gene' or a 'African gene' that makes the analysis very black and white (pardon the pun). There will be loads of these genetic markers they look for and no one individual from the ethnic group will have all of them. So you can see this is a very statistical thing by its nature.

The more reliable data points you have in a statistical series the more accurate your analysis can be. So as these companies build up the number of individuals they consider representative of a given ethnicity the more accurate their analysis is.

My ethnic makeup has changed as this database has expanded. I've gone from being mostly West European to now mostly English.

The burning question mate.......was there any Zulu ? ? 

• Haha 1
28 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Nah, lol, neither any Italian/Greek which everyone expected me to be.

I was the same I was expecting something "exotic" to come up in mine due to my appearance but it turns out we are just your typical brit. ?

20191026_145934.jpg

20191026_145642.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
1 hour ago, gaz said:

Whats folk paying for these DNA tests? My auld mans birthday is coming up,might make a nice wee birthday present for him.

Ancestry periodically have offers on and you can get it for around £50 :thumbs:

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, kanny said:

Ancestry periodically have offers on and you can get it for around £50 :thumbs:

Cheers ma man,had a wee look myself about the net kanny but looks a decent price :thumbs:

• Like 1
1 hour ago, WILF said:

That’s fairly broad map layout, mine was much narrower, defining specific areas in specific countries......

I'm just not sure I believe how accurately they can say that. I mean their database of ethnic standards would have to be massive.

32 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I'm just not sure I believe how accurately they can say that. I mean their database of ethnic standards would have to be massive.

Well, you an Kannys name have gone on the list so you are safe ! Lol ? 

• Haha 2