Pb whippets and ferrets advice

3 minutes ago, Aussie Whip said:

Get a fckin job.

I’ve obviously got a job if I’m looking to invest in a good dog, seems like everyone’s just taking it up the wrong way and thinks I’m looking to make a living off of pups ?? was looking for a bit of advice but you won’t get anything but bitter old men on this site who obviously have no intention of keeping the sport alive through interested young lads ?

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Don’t take this the wrong way mate, but sit down and read through your post. The world has enough folk already breeding and peddling dogs. 

The only way you will own or breed anything of any working value is to take the money factor out of the equation.

There's no money in selling dogs.... And certainly no money in ferrets, they get given to good working homes round here?

Posted Images

5 minutes ago, Cqwhippet said:

I’ve obviously got a job if I’m looking to invest in a good dog, seems like everyone’s just taking it up the wrong way and thinks I’m looking to make a living off of pups ?? was looking for a bit of advice but you won’t get anything but bitter old men on this site who obviously have no intention of keeping the sport alive through interested young lads ?

That's good you have a job.How big are whippet litter sizes?The only thing I liked about your post was you saying whippets are great dogs.You are talking to dog men who dedicate their lives to dogs and working them.You are a smartass and a wanna be puppy miller,fck off.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
1 hour ago, Cqwhippet said:

First of buddy you need to gain knowledge on working dogs and that's not done over night second if you do get a well bred dog you will need to graft it  a good few seasons and work at it and even then if it does work out ask yourself are you breeding better than what's already out there is the other dog going improve what you already have by breeding with it  and then there's finding good working homes for your pups which is a job in it self if I was you buddy I would read as much info as I could books internet YouTube ect try out get out with someone decent  to show you the ropes and do that for now and forget about lines/ breeding / for a few years 

Edited by Blackmag
  • Like 1
1 hour ago, Cqwhippet said:

was looking for a bit of advice but you won’t get anything but bitter old men on this site who obviously have no intention of keeping the sport alive through interested young lads ?

You asked for advice/criticism and they've said get a whip and ferret, and enjoy the sport for a good few seasons. How are you going to breed good dogs and "improve" them if you don't know one end of a whippet from the other?

When this carry on is over, have a look on gumtree pets4homes etc whippets are "in", the world and his wife is breeding them. Same with ferrets

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Cqwhippet said:

Take a breath. You’re making yourself sound like a right plum.

Its basic and simple, learn to walk before you can run. Get a dog, train it, work it, enjoy it. Meet others, see their dogs, at one point you may get lucky and get a cracker, which other folk would want a pup off....... and so it begins etc.

• Like 3

I have never made a profit from a dog.My father could though he didn't do it from peddling pups.My father would always keep an eye out for a greenhorn dogman who had purchased a big name pup in coonhunting or hogdogs.These greenhorns would raise the pup until a year old and lose interest.My dad would purchase this dog after the fun had wore off.My dad would hunt this dog six nights a week until the dog appeared better than he was then my dad would sell him for good money.The next owner would only hunt the dog once a month and he would look like shit.My dad made some money this way.As far as me I couldn't give my best dog away.?

My dad could get the best out of a dog.If you can't do that then don't breed.

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

That's good you have a job.How big are whippet litter sizes?The only thing I liked about your post was you saying whippets are great dogs.You are talking to dog men who dedicate their lives to dogs and working them.You are a smartass and a wanna be puppy miller,fck off.

I was asking those questions out of interest as I said I’m looking to gain all knowledge possible there’s nothing wrong with me gaining this knowledge now and breeding in 3/4 years time when I know what I’m doing, and I’m most definitely not a wanna be puppy miller. 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gilbey said:

You asked for advice/criticism and they've said get a whip and ferret, and enjoy the sport for a good few seasons. How are you going to breed good dogs and "improve" them if you don't know one end of a whippet from the other?

When this carry on is over, have a look on gumtree pets4homes etc whippets are "in", the world and his wife is breeding them. Same with ferrets

That was my plan anyway was looking to expand my knowledge is all not gonna jump straight into breeding but I’m most definitely gonna jump straight into reading up and gaining as much knowledge as I can about it 

• Like 1
3 hours ago, Aussie Whip said:

Well I’d appreciate if these dog men would see in clearly interest in the breed as a whole and yeah I’m curious as to how big there litter sizes are? Just a simple question that everyone seems to have taken up wrong, and if you don’t like the post leave it rather than telling me to f*ck off my own post.

21 minutes ago, Cqwhippet said:

Well I’d appreciate if these dog men would see in clearly interest in the breed as a whole and yeah I’m curious as to how big there litter sizes are? Just a simple question that everyone seems to have taken up wrong, and if you don’t like the post leave it rather than telling me to f*ck off my own post.

That's the beauty of this forum.... If you ask for advice, then you need to brace yourself for  the contrasting opinions?.... Welcome aboard ?

• Like 4

Well, my two penneth worth. I love whippets, there are some members on here with some belting whippets, there are plenty of really good whippet breeders up and down the country.

You are not going to breed anything better than what several of these breeders/owners are already producing.

Save yourself the hassle mate. As a couple have already said,  just get a whippet, or two, a couple of ferrets and just enjoy working them ?

• Like 5
2 hours ago, Cqwhippet said:

Seeing as you put it like that pm socks on here he's are resident whippet expert he might be busy doing his grim reaper work but I'm sure he will answer your questions 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2