Family history.

7 minutes ago, WILF said:

My Mrs took the right piss, I had always had a laugh with her for years about how she was a paddy and I was 100% English etc etc ......so when it came back it was amazingly enough exactly 60/40 

60% from the area of southern England that I had always lived in and 40% from the Cork area of Ireland ! 
My wife was a 3 way split, Ireland, Scotland and Scandinavia, the smallest part being Scandinavia.

Its proper interesting stuff mate 

Sound right been told before a lot of the Devon and Cornish have an Irish connection. Better not upset the wife mate sounds like see is a Viking.

Cheers Arry

• Like 1

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Gone back nearly 60 years and found me dad ???

I wouldn’t know, Scotland Yard have all the pictures of my mob ! Lol lol 

I think so. But from your point of view it is better to tell your mates that you are descended from heroic  ice-age hunter-gatherers rather than some wop waiter from Benidorm.

Posted Images

17 minutes ago, jetro said:

Interestingly enough, both family lines,  mother and father came from Galway, but two different sides you couldn't meet LOL 

Atb j 

My wife’s granny used to introduce me as “He’s a catholic but he’s nice!” Lol ? 

• Haha 2
31 minutes ago, Arry said:

Sound right been told before a lot of the Devon and Cornish have an Irish connection. .

Cheers Arry

That would make sense Historically mate, I think the trade and raid links are well proven from pre Roman times.

There is good evidence now about Bronze Age and Iron Age trade between countries and of course Ireland would have been the go to refuge for the Druid’s as would south west England and west wales.

By the way, something I find interesting is that Druid means “finding or knowing the oak” which is something I think is really interesting on an island/islands that has so much association with the oak tree and the oaks place in our history being a sea faring nation.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 2

Thing to remember is, England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales are only recent inventions.....1500 years ago, they never existed ;) 

We was all just Britain’s 

Eidted to add: Actually I think Ireland may have existed but I’d have to look that up to make sure 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1

Don’t no if or how much truth is in this little conspiracy, but having run it past several people of much higher intellect than myself they say very plausible and doable, so I will pass it on and it’s up to yourselves what you do with it, but ancestory dna and other similar company’s have one intention and it’s not telling you all about your family tree that is why the outcome is very vague and not at all accurate, there real intent is to patent your dna, so in the not to distant future when you need a transplant and your organs are grown in a lab they will charge you whatever they want as they own your dna and you have willingly given it, and when the grim reaper is at the door you will give your last penny to stick around a bit longer, as I said I,m not an intellectual man and will add nothing further it was just something I heard so have passed it on, ???

• Like 1
24 minutes ago, WILF said:

That would make sense Historically mate, I think the trade and raid links are well proven from pre Roman times.

There is good evidence now about Bronze Age and Iron Age trade between countries and of course Ireland would have been the go to refuge for the Druid’s as would south west England and west wales.

By the way, something I find interesting is that Druid means “finding or knowing the oak” which is something I think is really interesting on an island/islands that has so much association with the oak tree and the oaks place in our history being a sea faring nation.

This is something I'm interested in that is the Oak. Do you know Dart as in the river Dart and Dartmoor means Oak in old English.

Cheers Arry

• Like 2
Just now, Arry said:

This is something I'm interested in that is the Oak. Do you know Dart as in the river Dart and Dartmoor means Oak in old English.

Cheers Arry

I didn’t know that mate, thank you, I love stuff like that 

• Like 1

I am massively into a persons connection with their homeland......it’s something that can’t be pinned down or legislated or controlled, it’s more than a flag or a bulldog tattoo.

Its part of the fabric of your being, when it breaks or we become disconnected with it I believe it weakens a person and it weakens the people of that nation from a group with a bond and roots in the very earth to just a random group of self interested life forms.

That’s it......you have all f***ing started me off now ! ? 

• Like 1
42 minutes ago, WILF said:

I am massively into a persons connection with their homeland......it’s something that can’t be pinned down or legislated or controlled, it’s more than a flag or a bulldog tattoo.

Its part of the fabric of your being, when it breaks or we become disconnected with it I believe it weakens a person and it weakens the people of that nation from a group with a bond and roots in the very earth to just a random group of self interested life forms.

That’s it......you have all f***ing started me off now ! ? 

i grew up about 50 yards from this pic.spent many an hour climbing that bridge.on the right of the pic.sadly thats all is left now is the bridge..

Image may contain: sky and outdoorImage may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, crowd and outdoorthis is some pic.1912 

• Like 3