Liverpool

21 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

He was with Steve Clarke at Celtic with O’Neill , I remember o neill telling a story about how Brian clough had said to him “ Irishman , you may think your good in that team but you’ve only got one job , give him the ball” 

and pointed at John Robertson 

when was steve clarke at celtic other as a rival.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Easy starting a topic about your club when they’re sitting top. Takes a real man to keep a thread going to over eighty pages for the 52nd best club in the country. Ahhh, now that’s Bisto ?

Klopp out ..     Been saying it for weeks now  Henderson and Milne .let's gone   Salah over the hill   Firmino teeth too white    Mane what the fuks going

I think plenty of chaps of my/our generation will be quite pleased that the big team when we was all young are back on top......i always said id love to of been a Liverpool fan but you cant just choos

Posted Images

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

We probably had the chat about it at the time mate and i can only repeat what i said then i never wanted the move.....and the reason i never wanted the move is because i think we are a unique football club with a unique fanbase ( ok we all think that ?)....we are not a very demanding bunch,football to my generation of regular 25+ game per season West Ham fans is more about traditions and togetherness than finishing top 10 or nicking a European place etc.....its about the day itself and the rituals of match day and the whole togetherness feeling that Upton Park gave us.....i knew that would be lost,at least for my remaining time as a fan anyway.

But yes i totally get why we moved from a sporting and business point of view......we had to really if you want to compete with the big boys.....but truth be told i dont really want to compete with the big boys.....your last paragraph is the perfect example of how a lot of people who wanted the move now feel,and again,not to say " i told you so ".....but i knew it would be like this and by starting to " demand a bit more " as you say.....we then become the same as other clubs caught up in the madness of modern football politics.....i love my West Ham just the way it was Wilf,the characters,the camaraderie,the laughs,the tears,the local players you can be proud of and just generally saying this is " My Club "....and im not sure it is my club anymore the move turned me from a West Ham fan to a West Ham customer.

Wilf do you remember Gary the chap who sold the Over Land & Sea Fanzine his pitch use to be by the railing between the Boleyn pub and the ground itself....he did some kind of interview thats on Youtube he makes the points im trying to make here perfectly its a really nice interview i,ll try and find it later i think you,ll be able to relate to it.

Can’t argue with any of that mate and I’ll never be too big to stand corrected, so duly noted ;) 

I do remember him mate, how could you not?......he was part of the furniture.

I watched his interview on YouTube as well, he spoke brilliantly.....I loved it.

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

Devastated in this household !

The boy just said, I hope we get relegated because at least it would be more enjoyable to watch my hammers !

Commiserations Wilf. Losing to Poch' would have been bad enough, but losing to Mou'  ?

On 23/11/2019 at 14:32, WILF said:

Devastated in this household !

The boy just said, I hope we get relegated because at least it would be more enjoyable to watch my hammers !

Oh man we was diabolical.....gutless even....i was delighted with a 3-2 loss it makes it look close !

Im not into the whole " blame the manager " thing but this geezers times up i think... i never wanted him in the first place we only thought it was a good move because he was a big name but he,s got the energy and motivational qualities of a tin of salmon i dont know what its going to take to realise Mark Nobles legs have gone,i mean i love the lad but he,s finished at this level it takes him a full minute to turn around !!!.....and as for the goalkeeper id rather put the manager in goal......i dont think we,ll be in trouble but its not going to be much fun this year.

• Like 1
47 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Oh man we was diabolical.....gutless even....i was delighted with a 3-2 loss it makes it look close !

Im not into the whole " blame the manager " thing but this geezers times up i think... i never wanted him in the first place we only thought it was a good move because he was a big name but he,s got the energy and motivational qualities of a tin of salmon i dont know what its going to take to realise Mark Nobles legs have gone,i mean i love the lad but he,s finished at this level it takes him a full minute to turn around !!!.....and as for the goalkeeper id rather put the manager in goal......i dont think we,ll be in trouble but its not going to be much fun this year.

Don’t know if I said it on here or in a conversation with a pal mate but I was never impressed with the appointment of Pellergrini, early this season I thought I been proved wrong but it’s seems not.

These old hat managers are exactly that, old hat.....football is moving on pal imho 

Now they are talking about Benitez and Chris Houghton and all that shit......and I have my head in my hands like “for f**k sake” 

So, our ambition moving from Upton Park was to be like Brighton or Newcastle was it? .......f***ing brilliant, you couldn’t make it up.

That performance Saturday was no better than a pre season games I watched 2 years ago against Man City.......if it had of been City it would have been 6-0 just like it was in that pre season game.

So, in 2 years we have not progressed at all.

As I keep saying, in coaching terms, young Frank is pulling up trees at Chelsea.......there’s plenty of young coaches doing likewise.

The answer is there in front of all our faces mate.

Edited by WILF
  • Like 1
43 minutes ago, WILF said:

Don’t know if I said it on here or in a conversation with a pal mate but I was never impressed with the appointment of Pellergrini, early this season I thought I been proved wrong but it’s seems not.

These old hat managers are exactly that, old hat.....football is moving on pal imho 

Now they are talking about Benitez and Chris Houghton and all that shit......and I have my head in my hands like “for f**k sake” 

So, our ambition moving from Upton Park was to be like Brighton or Newcastle was it? .......f***ing brilliant, you couldn’t make it up.

That performance Saturday was no better than a pre season games I watched 2 years ago against Man City.......if it had of been City it would have been 6-0 just like it was in that pre season game.

So, in 2 years we have not progressed at all.

As I keep saying, in coaching terms, young Frank is pulling up trees at Chelsea.......there’s plenty of young coaches doing likewise.

The answer is there in front of all our faces mate.

I think that Frank is doing brilliantly. But, compared to West Ham he has a lot of young talent already on the books. I read a couple of years ago that Chelsea had about twenty or thirty youngsters out on loan all over Europe. It is a different set up altogether and to be honest you need to set your sights a bit lower. Brighton have done very well with limited budgets, as have Burnley and Bournemouth, but have they got any quality youngsters coming through to continue beyond the current squads? If they haven't then they need a really good scouting network lke Leicester have to bring in the likes of Mahrez, Tielemans, Ndidi and  Soyuncu for peanuts. Same with wolves; they have bought some cracking players for little money.

I realise that the Hammers have had a lot of bad luck - Payet, Ayew, Carroll and Little Pea for example but they don't seem to be bringing in quality youngsters or cheap talent. And that isn't Pellegrini's fault. That lies higher up.

• Like 4
46 minutes ago, Nicepix said:

I think that Frank is doing brilliantly. But, compared to West Ham he has a lot of young talent already on the books. I read a couple of years ago that Chelsea had about twenty or thirty youngsters out on loan all over Europe. It is a different set up altogether and to be honest you need to set your sights a bit lower. Brighton have done very well with limited budgets, as have Burnley and Bournemouth, but have they got any quality youngsters coming through to continue beyond the current squads? If they haven't then they need a really good scouting network lke Leicester have to bring in the likes of Mahrez, Tielemans, Ndidi and  Soyuncu for peanuts. Same with wolves; they have bought some cracking players for little money.

I realise that the Hammers have had a lot of bad luck - Payet, Ayew, Carroll and Little Pea for example but they don't seem to be bringing in quality youngsters or cheap talent. And that isn't Pellegrini's fault. That lies higher up.

As you know, our youth system has been one of the most respected in the country for years and the U23 have some amazing talent.

One thing I will never do as a hammers fan is talk shit above our station so to speak mate, we just don’t do that.

My point is, I dont think this has anything to do with “investment” and I think it has everything to do with talented coaches who know how to get inside players heads, create the right mindset at a club and play football in the right way.........nobody here is talking about winning leagues, but it’s about really going and having a go and playing football fans can get behind.

No proper fan cares about loosing a game if his team go down fighting for every blade of grass and playing exciting football.

I sometimes get to watch the video analysis from a top tier league of Ireland team here, it’s frankly amazing !

You can literally analyse every player, single players out, stop it, rewind it.....whatever you want to see you can see.

You also get a full breakdown on each player, stats, yards......everything.

This is all available, and you can work with players on every aspect.....what they should do as individuals, as a team, where to improve.....everything.

With stuff like than in your armoury, coupled with the fitness experts, chefs, medical people......then you add a clever, positive coach who knows how to inspire and make lads enjoy football then there is absolutely f**k all excuse for performances like my team gave Saturday.

You can see that the very best coach’s are using it all, and it’s paying off.

Gone are the days of your manager screaming fucks into people, the modern lads are beyond that.......they understand that’s getting the best out of people is massive amounts of carrot and minuscule amounts of stick.

You don’t “purchase” that in a player, talent without mindset will only ever go so far.

• Like 1

I read a book about football scouts; 'The Nowhere Men'  and it dealt with how clubs assess players before taking them on. Attitude was one of the main criteria. But you wouldn't know that looking at how some players behave. So the scouts and those who make the final decisions in some cases are getting it badly wrong.

I am obviously missing it, but I don't see the young talent coming through at West Ham like you do at ManU, Chelsea and City. And they don't seem to be making the same quality purchases that Leicester have managed. Even Newcastle have brought in good players on the cheap.

• Like 1

The lad we have now seems very much like that wilf are squad are bargain buys but we're 3 rd in the championship was second but he has players who aren't as talented as some in the league but fight for everything and play for each other it is a pleasure to watch we will lose him to a bigger team one day but he's only young so hopefully sticks about abit longer 

• Like 3