Retrieve training

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We are all different,..and so are our dogs?

Ain't that the truth. Imo folks not realising that is the reason so many dogs are ruined and written off as useless. Many a ' jacker' is created through poor training and entering rather than breeding

Was out Saturday lamping with my dog Dan, my mate came along and fetched his young pup Toca, did two retrieves at the end of the night with a full grown rabbit that had been caught earlier, two perfec

Posted Images

14 hours ago, billhardy said:

Ts be fair it's a decent post but a working mall xs won't bat an eye lid ta roughness I. TrIni g methods some thrive on it  the oveyly sensitive are hard work and have hell. Of a time getti g over even the smallest reprimand fa me these types are not best bred from a jukel needs to be mentally tough above all else fa me atb bill

And that's exactly the problem with training lurchers, as their temperaments and drive are so variable depending on how they are bred. There can't be a 'one size fits all' method when training lurchers. A novice owner who wants to get a handle on their own lurcher's nature would be best looking at how it is bred, and then speaking to as many people as possible about how to train those particular breeds, and even then, it's not simple, for so many lurchers are a composite of many breeds and a composite of different temperaments. A pup could start out by showing signs of total scattiness and later display traits which are recognisable from a breed that you didn't even know it had in its ancestry! 

billhardy, you got it in one: mental toughness makes life so much easier for us!

• Like 1
On 11/09/2019 at 22:34, poxon said:

I’ve always found what works for me is take full advantage of a pups ability to want to follow you that when it stops to have a sniff or look about recall it get the recall going then once the pups getting the hang of coming back to you on call then start to teach retrieve as after all a retrieve is a extension on recall my 14week old pup will retrieve a few different items she goes completely nuts at the sight of a tennis ball so that’s our object of choice at the moment she’s retrieved a few different type dummies all in play to me so far including a weighted rabbit pelt dummy I’ve not tried a pheasant winged dummy yet but it’s on the cards to try at some point as I want her to retrieve pheasant but I don’t like to rush things I think peoples problems is when training a pup they want it all there an then they rush an push to hard to try and meet there objective that there’s no fun in it for the pup or human what I do is f**k about with the pup playing about I know my intentions that I’d like a retrieve at some point in what ever game we’re playing i spring the item out of no were (up my jumper or t shirt) an say what’s this the pup goes ecstatic with excitement I get my retrieve give the pup loads of praise in my gayest voice I can give at the time I normally aim for 2 retrieves with lots of praise then I’ll change the subject of that we’re doing an say something like what’s that An point an walk over to this tug toy hanging from the tree made from a push bike inner tubes tied round a teddy neck it’s a good distraction she likes trying to kill the shit out the teddy. works well for me the last 3 dogs I’ve trained in my own silly way seems to work really well for me probably not the way the lurcher world experts would do it but it gets me the results I require 

'Gayest'  voice? ?. ............. only joking mate lol. Pretty similar stuff I do when training a pup. I never overdo the retrieving, a couple of retrieves two or three times a week is all I do. Alot of people overdo the retrieve training, effectively sickening the pup of it. Dogs aint stupid, and they have a good memory. They ait going to  forget how to retrieve after a couple of days ?

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, shaaark said:

'Gayest'  voice? ?. ............. only joking mate lol. Pretty similar stuff I do when training a pup. I never overdo the retrieving, a couple of retrieves two or three times a week is all I do. Alot of people overdo the retrieve training, effectively sickening the pup of it. Dogs aint stupid, and they have a good memory. They ait going to  forget how to retrieve after a couple of days ?

It’s gotta be done mate ??The gayest voice = the quit feminine soft soppy fur baby voice you can do ive found some of the best dog trainers are female that seem to get the best results when training Lurchers is involved. How much of a twat ya sound to on lookers is irrelevant if your getting the results you require. I’m the same mate couple of times a week definitely not stupid they’ve a good memory I was once told dogs are stupid my reply was take the dog were it’s had a catch before an watch what it’s body language tells you

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, poxon said:

It’s gotta be done mate ??The gayest voice = the quit feminine soft soppy fur baby voice you can do ive found some of the best dog trainers are female that seem to get the best results when training Lurchers is involved. How much of a twat ya sound to on lookers is irrelevant if your getting the results you require. I’m the same mate couple of times a week definitely not stupid they’ve a good memory I was once told dogs are stupid my reply was take the dog were it’s had a catch before an watch what it’s body language tells you

I'm with you 100% mate. Most people I know would probably piss themselves in a combination of laughter and bewilderment, if they saw me training a pup lol. I couldn't give a monkey's chuff lol ??

• Haha 1
46 minutes ago, shaaark said:

I'm with you 100% mate. Most people I know would probably piss themselves in a combination of laughter and bewilderment, if they saw me training a pup lol. I couldn't give a monkey's chuff lol ??

Same as me pal gotta be done though ??

• Like 1

They all want to chase and bite stuff , that’s the bottom line , whatever the temperament 

if you take that as a starting and finishing point, of a dog feeling as well as it can and start from there,  because that’s it’s goal 

the only difference is how fast or how slow    to proceed , all you’re doing with a pup is creating a safe zone in your space , it’s not training as such , it’s a foundation for training , once a pup is tuned in, it will want to do your bidding , bulldog or whippet it matters not , reading its body language is key 

dint be fooled into thinking theirs oceans to learn lads   You facilitate drive  through you it’s the same as activating bonding , bonding isn’t sitting petting the f****r , bonding is sharing a common cause through physical movement , chasing a ball , wrestling a tug item away or chasing a rabbit , what could be easier ?

Edited by Casso
  • Like 2
On 22/09/2019 at 13:48, Phil Lloyd said:

We are all different,..and so are our dogs?

_MG_7730.JPG

Ain't that the truth. Imo folks not realising that is the reason so many dogs are ruined and written off as useless. Many a ' jacker' is created through poor training and entering rather than breeding .....

• Like 7