stealthy1

Bob Arum sees Muhammad Ali and George Foreman in Briton

10 minutes ago, ginger beard said:

Ask gnasher or tomo,not these knowfuckall wannabes

And let's hear your pearl of wisdom of advice. Actual advice, not acting like a little girl saying 'don't listen to them'.

11 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

My gyms just posted this. Happening the end of this month defo be going to that

20190618_184859.jpg

What no Kebabs? 

5 hours ago, Rusty_terrier said:

I reckon somebody starts a weightlifting thread lol this is a Tyson fury thread.

Anyway here's the big man pulling 250 with terrible form lol

https://youtu.be/cbwLXQQ46HY

yeh  , but its never easy pulling weights like  that more so , when your 6ft 9in  , the tall bloke always at a disadvantage . bit of boxing chat watched the feed back on Aj from  David Haye , and he was bang on the money  with regards Aj, said he got to spar with rough type small blokes, that want to try to knock him out . he got to get this in his game plan, with Ruiz  size and speed of hands, it the only way stop Ruiz onslaught  , now he knows he can hurt Aj ,  he got lead of his jab, try and keep Ruiz backed up, so he carnt land his feet ,then throwing punches . i think Haye spot on with all he said. deff

On 18/06/2019 at 15:31, Rusty_terrier said:

I'm quite an obsessive person and enjoy training etc for a few week then I start over thinking things like missing a sessions or a meal, not eating or drinking certain things when I want to etc when in actual fact I should eat what and when I like. What starts as only training to add strength as a hobby with reasonable goals and a bit of fun ends up with me wanting to achieve stuff that is probably unachievable .

Welcome to my world....im still convinced theres something out there i can be world champion at 😂

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

On 18/06/2019 at 14:01, W. Katchum said:

I can do well for upto 2 weeks at a time an then it feels like I can’t face anything an pretty much starve for 2 days 😂😂 but Iv gained way more than ever before in me life so happy with it so far😁

As a youngster we can eat anything thats not nailed down but without constant activity over years our metabolism slows right down.....starving for a day is bad news though if you cant get enough food on board try meal replacements or supplements.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, shaaark said:

Can't be doing with all this app nonsense personally lol. Used a training diary with what exercises, rep count, food intake, everything. And kept it accurate and strict as f**k. Personally can't understand how an app can accurately tell YOU what /when you need to eat,  how long to rest between sets etc.  Nah, not for me lol. 

Hope it goes well for you 👍

I agree these apps are good for beginners to training but i equate them to a cab driver learning the roads with a satnav.....they do the brainwork for you and stop you gaining real knowledge......and also the more accomplished you become you ARE going to pick up injuries,you ARE going to have days where your not up to it.....an app cant tell you how to train around injury you have to learn about your own body......we used to have these 3 high tec gadgets back in the day.....pen,paper,clock......they took care of most things.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

I think that’s what I need after this, some sort prog that don’t push for the most ye can do every work out like this 5x5 does, squatting 3 times a week an adding weight every time starts getting daunting 😂 mentally am physically 😂 but I’m still progressing so not too worried about failure yet but know it’s coming 😳😂

Adding weight is a part of training i have constantly changed my mind about over the years i am now convinced that at least for my own body i have it sussed and having spoken with other chaps in similar scenarios they agree and have adjusted their training likewise.

The first plateau beginners to lifting usually suffer is around 3 months when they can no longer continually add weight.....and my belief is that their ligaments and tendons cannot keep up with their musculature.....a balanced physique is like an engine where everything is useful to each other and does its own job in getting maximum performance.

For most people its about gaining as much muscle as possible through lifting progressively heavier weights until further increases just cannot be made and gains stop ( a plateau )....this is the point a lot of newcomers pack up lifting but if the correct foundations are put in place via what i always called power assistance exercises progress continues.....You have to commit to incorporating training tendons and ligaments,they take much longer to respond than muscles because they dont have their own blood supply.....similarly to why tendon injuries take longer to heal than muscle injuries......but to get maximum performance from the belly of a muscle its insertion points at the tendons have to be strong enough to withstand the overload on contraction.....read up on boosting collagen and how to train tendons/ligaments i truly believe that beginner/intermediate lifters at their first real plateau are not failing on muscular strength but instead having the foundations to hold that muscular strength......imagine a big v8 engine being held in place by plastic engine mounts.

Its only my theories im not saying im right its just worth keeping in mind.

Edited by gnasher16
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

Adding weight is a part of training i have constantly changed my mind about over the years i am now convinced that at least for my own body i have it sussed and having spoken with other chaps in similar scenarios they agree and have adjusted their training likewise.

The first plateau beginners to lifting usually suffer is around 3 months when they can no longer continually add weight.....and my belief is that their ligaments and tendons cannot keep up with their musculature.....a balanced physique is like an engine where everything is useful to each other and does its own job in getting maximum performance.

For most people its about gaining as much muscle as possible through lifting progressively heavier weights until further increases just cannot be made and gains stop ( a plateau )....this is the point a lot of newcomers pack up lifting but if the correct foundations are put in place via what i always called power assistance exercises progress continues.....You have to commit to incorporating training tendons and ligaments,they take much longer to respond than muscles because they dont have their own blood supply.....similarly to why tendon injuries take longer to heal than muscle injuries......but to get maximum performance from the belly of a muscle its insertion points at the tendons have to be strong enough to withstand the overload on contraction.....read up on boosting collagen and how to train tendons/ligaments i truly believe that beginner/intermediate lifters at their first real plateau are not failing on muscular strength but instead having the foundations to hold that muscular strength......imagine a big v8 engine being held in place by plastic engine mounts.

Which is why I believe a 5x5 routine shouldn't be used in any beginner's program. It forces you to push to your limits before you're ready for that level of training

38 minutes ago, gnasher16 said:

That makes sense, I know I’m about to plateau but I won’t quit gnash, it’s no in me nature an rather as seeing this as my final goal I’ll be looking at these weights as goals to beat, besides Iv already paid up for a years membership an no way am I wasting that😁 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, gnasher16 said:

Seeing as its down your way an it’s not a big world when your In then know 😁 you ever heard of the ‘beautiful strength’ gym? Or the guy called Carl Raghavan? 

1 hour ago, W. Katchum said:

That makes sense, I know I’m about to plateau but I won’t quit gnash, it’s no in me nature an rather as seeing this as my final goal I’ll be looking at these weights as goals to beat, besides Iv already paid up for a years membership an no way am I wasting that😁 

Never mind ripping tendons off the bone just as long as you dont waste your gym membership 😂

The " no guts no glory " routine is great to have but at this stage it really doesnt pay you,ll just injure yourself.....honestly mate start training tendons/ligaments it basically involves lifting heavier weight but in much more restricted movements.....just do it every 3rd session or something if you stick at training you,ll reap the rewards later on.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Seeing as its down your way an it’s not a big world when your In then know 😁 you ever heard of the ‘beautiful strength’ gym? Or the guy called Carl Raghavan? 

Ive heard the name mentioned before is it over Putney way im not sure,not really an area i know that well......theres loads of personal trainers popping up nowadays mate some are worth listening to and some are not....like anything i suppose.

1 minute ago, gnasher16 said:

Ive heard the name mentioned before is it over Putney way im not sure,not really an area i know that well......theres loads of personal trainers popping up nowadays mate some are worth listening to and some are not....like anything i suppose.

Holloway Road? It may aswell be mars to me know nowt of London, he teaches the stuff he was taught by the American Rippetoe, it’s called starting strength programme, I’m not doin that but it’s the same compound lifts as I’m doing an I really wanna try some others he teaches

i know there will be loads out there but his name pops up a lot Cos he part of that franchise. Once I sort a few days off I’ll pop down an let everybody know how it’s went 😁

8 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Holloway Road? It may aswell be mars to me know nowt of London, he teaches the stuff he was taught by the American Rippetoe, it’s called starting strength programme, I’m not doin that but it’s the same compound lifts as I’m doing an I really wanna try some others he teaches

i know there will be loads out there but his name pops up a lot Cos he part of that franchise. Once I sort a few days off I’ll pop down an let everybody know how it’s went 😁

After all this weight lifting if you ever get over to me for a go on the deer it might just come in handy lol

• Haha 1