Sign in to follow this  
ryaldinhio

GWP

3 hours ago, W. Katchum said:

Iv yet to see a lurcher cast out an find game as good as a pointerx, if you got one that’s some doing, I’d like to see that 

Seen some incredible hound x Lurchers, cast out miles on the hill they take some beating for that type of hunting from what i have seen

• Like 5

1 minute ago, Gilbey said:

it was Casper. Someone on here had one, he hunted up rabbits with it, lamped, worked with hawks, ratting, all sorts

Name was pointer I’m sure?? Chipper also had or bred a few?? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dunkanon said:

Seen some incredible hound x Lurchers, cast out miles on the hill they take some beating for that type of hunting from what i have seen

An like I said imo the pointerx is up there with the hound x’s

2 minutes ago, W. Katchum said:

Name was pointer I’m sure?? Chipper also had or bred a few?? 

aye Pointer, he liked it so much he got pure gwp's. Think Chippers etc were 1/4 ?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gilbey said:

aye Pointer, he liked it so much he got pure gwp's. Think Chippers etc were 1/4 ?

Lots a lads were more than happy with them mate, I saw a few of them an like Iv said they were just lurchers but better at some things an not as good at others when compared to type we had, I will say tho with all honesty if a few of them never opened up they would prob have left a better impression on me, jist to me at that time an still now, that’s a big no no an always will make me shy away from anything that does it 

• Like 4

Cracks me up how blinkered some can be. We all hunt in different ways on different terrains in different parts of the country, how can a man at one end the country comment on whether or not a particular cross is any good elsewhere?

A dog thats suits me here would be no good for someone who's hunting an open moor and nor would I want a dog that excels at hunting a long distance out. Doesn't mean either is no good just not necessarily suited to the local terrain.

A lurcher is alot of things to alot of people, they aren't one tricks ponies and different tasks suit different crosses. How is that so hard to comprehend?

• Like 10

1 minute ago, Tyla said:

Cracks me up how blinkered some can be. We all hunt in different ways on different terrains in different parts of the country, how can a man at one end the country comment on whether or not a particular cross is any good elsewhere?

A dog thats suits me here would be no good for someone who's hunting an open moor and nor would I want a dog that excels at hunting a long distance out. Doesn't mean either is no good just not necessarily suited to the local terrain.

A lurcher is alot of things to alot of people, they aren't one tricks ponies and different tasks suit different crosses. How is that so hard to comprehend?

well that ends any debate thinking like that, its only opinions when all said and done, negatives, and positives, no point having a forum else.

• Like 1

Just now, two crows said:

well that ends any debate thinking like that, its only opinions when all said and done, negatives, and positives, no point having a forum else.

I don't think it ends debate, it would be nice if it ended the crabbing of anything different to what people personally know but thats probably a bit much to ask lol.

There's plenty to talk about, I love hearing about other people's hunting. I quite often travel about to experience it too. That's how I know that different crosses, training / entering methods etc give different results tailored to the hunting of the owner. I've been places where my dogs were made look silly by the locals and I've had dogs out with me that made hard work of what mine do as a matter of course.

How much of that is breeding and how much is experience? Plenty of debate for you there.

It just made me laugh when i read "Can't see what such and such x would bring to a lurcher .... ".

An open mind is no bad thing. 

• Like 11

3 minutes ago, offtheradar said:

Unfortunately this one is no longer with me but from my limited experience I'd say the gwp offers a lot more than the rabbiting I did with mine

securedownload-3_1.jpg

IMAG0047_1.jpg

Unknown_2.facebook_1449669533795.jpg

IMAG0022_1.jpg

K remember seeing that on here a while back, good lookin thing 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, offtheradar said:

Unfortunately this one is no longer with me but from my limited experience I'd say the gwp offers a lot more than the rabbiting I did with mine

securedownload-3_1.jpg

IMAG0047_1.jpg

IMAG0022_1.jpg

sorry to hear that,I hope your well and Mr treehands👍

• Like 1

I think people get different dogs for different things . 

In the instance of moorland scrub ratching around for a solitary hunter , I can see the appeal in a gwp first cross..

i think Lloydy uses a word now and again that would sum this cross up

roustabout 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, offtheradar said:

securedownload-3_1.jpg

IMAG0047_1.jpg

IMAG0022_1.jpg

That looks a lot better and leaner than I thought it would ... 

and as for them being “useful “ I’d agree , they can be a big lump of a mutt