British D-Day Memorial

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Didn't know there was no Memorial to the 22000 + British that died on D-Day. You think the French might have done something as a thank you to them men. Can't understand the French attitude towards us

like little storys like that...nice one arry.. I watched a lot of it on telly yesterday morning.....that old paratrooper was brave fella 95 and doing a jump....got some balls....it was nice listn

When I see questions asked as to how remember those who fought for us, but also the respect that we give to them when they are still alive, a gentleman that I used to know comes to mind. I met him whe

like little storys like that...nice one arry..

I watched a lot of it on telly yesterday morning.....that old paratrooper was brave fella 95 and doing a jump....got some balls....it was nice listning to the old fellas talking and telling a few storys and things.....then I herd churchills speech.....the one where he says we will fight them on the beaches...we will fight them in the streets..we will never surrender....gave me goos bumps ...hairs sticking up on the back of neck.....

• Like 6

What I was trying to say Sandy 75 years on and only just a Memorial that's being paid for by the British, and some French people protesting about that. You think the French would have put up a Memorial on every beach to respect the men that fell so they could have their freedom and country back.

Cheers Arry

• Like 3
5 minutes ago, sandymere said:

I take it you have never been and seen the way the cemeteries are kept, each with its own memorial 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_military_cemeteries_in_Normandy

I have Sandy and the first world war ones and Dunkirk. I know what you're saying just feel it's a shame its took so long.

Cheers Arry

My grandfather fought in the 1st and lost a son in the second, his sentiments were that we in the UK could have learnt a lesson from how the rest of Europe treated the fallen of all nations. They're been doing them better justice for the last 75 years so hardly late. 

• Like 1

All I was on about was the new Memorial they have just put up, not the grave's that are keep wonderfully. I'm not looking for an argument Sandy.

Cheers Arry

Didn't the British government buy the land for the memorial to be built on? Sure I heard that on radio today. I also believe that the commonwealth cemeteries are funded and maintained predominantly by our government and to a lesser extent other commonwealth countries including Canada and Australia. Could be wrong though.

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, tandors said:

Didn't the British government buy the land for the memorial to be built on? Sure I heard that on radio today. I also believe that the commonwealth cemeteries are funded and maintained predominantly by our government and to a lesser extent other commonwealth countries including Canada and Australia. Could be wrong though.

You are correct mate.

Governments

Percentage Contribution

United Kingdom 78.43
Canada 10.07
Australia 6.05
New Zealand 2.14
South Africa 2.11
India 1.20

Cheers Arry

• Sad 1

Bit of a odd story i was told once when i was a teenager just hanging around the local shopping mall and a old boy came up to me and said. 40 years ago today i killed some one,a lady,a french lady and we chucked her off a church tower.We was liberating a small village in france just after D day and our group was walking through this village when a shot rang out and our sargent dropped down dead,we saw where the shot came from and we stormed the tower and found a french lass there with a rifle.She said she was going to marry a german soldier but we had came and drove him the the german army off so she wanted revenge for ruining her life.The old boy said we had a chin wag and as the sargent was a much loved fella they decided to chuck her off the tower and this old boy did it.Why he told me i don't know and just maybe we wanted just to tell someone but i'm glad i gave him the time and listened and remember his story...

• Like 2
7 hours ago, Arry said:

You are correct mate.

Governments

Percentage Contribution

United Kingdom 78.43
Canada 10.07
Australia 6.05
New Zealand 2.14
South Africa 2.11
India 1.20

Cheers Arry

There you go .  The French hate us and their Gallic pride has taken a massive kicking by the UK . Waterloo , and then us liberating them from those horrid Germans . The French , who largely collaborated and rolled over during their occupation and the Germans who started two world wars . Those graveyards are a constant reminder to them , and I hope “they” never forget , what “our “ lads did to make sure that Europe can have its own parliament, but I’m afraid that their memory’s are short and they should all be kissing our arses and thanking us for being an island of people who , with the Americans, got them out of the shit “they”made and gave them a better future . 

• Like 3
15 hours ago, TOMO said:

like little storys like that...nice one arry..

I watched a lot of it on telly yesterday morning.....that old paratrooper was brave fella 95 and doing a jump....got some balls....it was nice listning to the old fellas talking and telling a few storys and things.....then I herd churchills speech.....the one where he says we will fight them on the beaches...we will fight them in the streets..we will never surrender....gave me goos bumps ...hairs sticking up on the back of neck.....

Those hero’s would turn in their graves at today’s Westminster version,  We will give them our beaches, we will give them our streets and our fields, we will always surrender

• Like 4
  • Sad 1