Before or after?

30 minutes ago, trigger2 said:

I’ve seen one or two dogs go off there feet over the years and most of them seemed to have one thing in common they hadn’t been fed for a long time before lamping. I’ve been out with a lad who reckoned he read in a Plummer book not to feed his dog the day it was going running. Not sure how true that was but his dog went off it’s legs fast. I ain’t saying that running a dog on a empty stomach is necessarily wrong but that’s just been my experience.  

Blood sugar and salt levels would be low if they had went without food for too long, empty tank is no good to man, beast, or motor

• Like 5

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dogs, like all predators, hunt better on an empty stomach. Not only is it dangerous to feed before working, but it must be damned uncomfortable for the dog to have food sitting in its stomach when it'

Blood sugar and salt levels would be low if they had went without food for too long, empty tank is no good to man, beast, or motor

havnt dogs got one of the quickest digestive systems in the animal world....it was proberbly on here but I read they can digest a belly full in 8 hours... i feed at tea time if I'm off out midnig

Running a dog with grub in its belly can cause bloat even if it's been fed several hours earlier, this can be a life threatening condition, I have always ran a dog with an empty gut and never had a problem, from what I've experienced with my dogs and mate's dogs is they seem more focused when they're run with an empty gut, after a meal my bitch takes about 15 hours before she needs to shit but every dogs different and every owner should know their own dog, there's no hard and fast rules in this game, it's each to their own, I want to feel confident every time I lamp and for me thats running the bitch with an empty gut, Atb 

• Like 2

Dogs, like all predators, hunt better on an empty stomach. Not only is it dangerous to feed before working, but it must be damned uncomfortable for the dog to have food sitting in its stomach when it's trying to catch something.  There's no reason why you shouldn't feed a small meal at least 4 hours before working, but personally I've never done this, BUT, any dog, no matter how fit, can go off its legs if it is over-run. That's got nothing to do with lack of food, unless the dog has been routinely starved and is massively underweight. The most common reason for a dog to go off its legs is because its owner doesn't know when to call it a day, or a night. The old saying is: go home with another run left in the dog. They are not robots and there are only so many hours any athlete can keep on running.

As far as bloat (otherwise known as twisted gut or torsion: the stomach actually twists round on itself trapping food and gas in the stomach: hence the bloating) is concerned, big dogs are more likely to have this problem, as has already been said. It happens sometimes when dogs ingest a lot of air as they eat, which is why many people feed tall and deep-chested dogs from raised bowls as they are less likely to swallow air as they gulp their food.

• Like 7
1 hour ago, two crows said:

if your running large rabbits daytime dogs are fed tea time day before, when I was lamping I all ways waited till I came back never a problem.

exactly my point....most lads running daytime on the seed would feed a normal meal the night befor...so the dog has 12 hours or so to digest....same with lads going ferreting the next morning...bushing ...foxing whatever......nobody that goes out first thing in the morning hunting....would have fed the dog the morning befor ie 24 hours earlier....

yet loads of lads still persist with this theory in lamping....

• Like 3

Feed mine same time everyday 4pm , cut back a little feed if lamping that night starting to lamp at 12:30ish , 8 + hours plenty of a gap  , then feed again in morning when back and so on , I wouldnt like to put a hard shift in with an empty tank 

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, Black neck said:

Feck me It were like I'd gi them a line a chunk soon packed that lark in

I'm only a mere 20 mile north of you....and i have no clue what......"line a chunk" means???....anybody??