The demise of the English/Irish greyhound.

Seen a few pups advertised as sired by  or out of etc Irish coursing greyhounds. My question what do people feel the type will bring to a lurcher? Re 1st video.

The second video to show there are still coursing greyhounds that can successfully run on big land.?

• Like 1

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Dual purpose greyhounds, late 1940s-50s these were my wife’s grandparents.

In my experience track dog's tend to be smaller, lighter and have more stamina than Park coursing greyhounds. So unless you're just after size and sprinting power for big quarry then I'd go for a soun

A well bred coursing Irish greyhound goes a long way it's alright people saying use proven lurcher to proven lurcher but after abit of time your always gona need to stick a bit of pure running dog in

Posted Images

6 minutes ago, Gilbey said:

personally no to accident prone. Would depend on the job as well. Got it in my head that Irish grey has been added to galgos more recently, is that right?

Some tried to but found them to accident prone and lacking stamina but they are used for racing in Spain.

• Thanks 1

Have stamina and feet but have they the speed to carry a cross to a non sight hound?  To my mind it would depend on dog and quarry. Historically they're mixed with greyhound to make top coursing dogs but are outstanding athletes in their own right.

The galgos likely had an infusion of saluki type blood about a 1000 years ago.

• Like 1

A well bred coursing Irish greyhound goes a long way it's alright people saying use proven lurcher to proven lurcher but after abit of time your always gona need to stick a bit of pure running dog in there in my opinion  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
12 minutes ago, rob284 said:

Heard someone say racing greyhounds are better in a lurcher than a coursing greyhound, what’s your opinions based on experience.

In my experience track dog's tend to be smaller, lighter and have more stamina than Park coursing greyhounds. So unless you're just after size and sprinting power for big quarry then I'd go for a sound track animal from a staying line if the two were the only option. I've run a few over the last 40 plus years.

17083211_post-2041-0-31756900-1482580952(1).jpg.ed709429820b67d0c12b0564f1e36c4b.jpg5a00bcb58d0b6_greys2.jpg.3242daef41c6ab6c30cad65b5869ac07.jpg.b3a0eeeea08f43739f90d6862ad7f7e7.jpg5a00bcc1caeb8_grey3.jpg.d0554016e5535639a2bd50c58b6c6a8c.jpg.e239a8e776a3cb1857bd255350b482c1.jpg

Edited by sandymere
  • Like 8
  • Thanks 1