Tough toes

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Charlie suggested,...keep the nails on a running dog nice and short I believe many cases of collateral Ligament damage to be spawned, by long nails, causing extra pressure on the toe when twis

Heres a few photos  I use a Dremmel copy got it off ebay £15 at the time down to the quick and as metioned short nails help to reduce toe injuries I also think its helped to keep a good shaped foot fr

In years gone by i liked dogs that where up on their toes, cat footed, because that was what the considered best by the "old fellas" . but as time goes on I've seen plenty of injuries with

Posted Images

Some dogs just do get sore nail beds no matter how good their feet appear to be and how short you keep their claws. I used to have to bind the base of the claw on one of my coursing dogs, covering the nail bed and fixing the tape in place with a dab of superglue. It kept her running all season and at the end of the day I just washed the bits of tape off after a soak in hot salty water. The photo shows just one nail done: a bit of a faff but worth it to stop infection, soil, sand etc rubbing away under the nail bed. I got quite quick at it after a while and with the superglue to hold it in place they stayed on all day even in wet conditions.

claw-bound-to-stop-sore-qui.jpg

• Like 2

Yes, absolutely do not try and bind nail beds that are even slightly inflamed or infected: it will be horribly painful for the dog and won't do any good. Wait until they are completely healed and not swollen at all before you do it. It's a pain cutting thin strips of Elastoplast fabric strapping, but I've found it's the best one to use.

• Like 2
On 24 November 2018 at 12:02, my hounds said:

Heres a few photos  I use a Dremmel copy got it off ebay £15 at the time down to the quick and as metioned short nails help to reduce toe injuries I also think its helped to keep a good shaped foot from being a pup,as regards toughening the pads theres this https://www.greyhoundsuperstore.co.uk/shop/healthcare/tuf-foot-240ml/ or a lot cheaper version https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Pad-Hardener-100g/Productinfo/PADH/ .As regards the Dremmel copy its vary speed mine is on 3 my dog is a first cross deerhound/greyhound the odd time only a speck of pin sized blood has surfaced but with sanding attatchment and speed the nail is quaterized so to speak,also getting your dog used to the noise of the drill and the feel of the sanding motion on its nail/toe.

SDC10195.JPG

SDC10826.JPG

SDC10829.JPG

SDC10830.JPG

SDC10940.JPG

SDC11406.JPG

Thems the ones and on an older thread one will remember recommending these small dremels they brill better than cutters of any kind guilotine or whatever .i have fired and quarterised nail quicks in the past but a poor foot a poor foot nknow matter what and they tend ta lend to one problem or the other ,nice little job by the

On 24 November 2018 at 12:02, my hounds said:

Heres a few photos  I use a Dremmel copy got it off ebay £15 at the time down to the quick and as metioned short nails help to reduce toe injuries I also think its helped to keep a good shaped foot from being a pup,as regards toughening the pads theres this https://www.greyhoundsuperstore.co.uk/shop/healthcare/tuf-foot-240ml/ or a lot cheaper version https://www.hyperdrug.co.uk/Pad-Hardener-100g/Productinfo/PADH/ .As regards the Dremmel copy its vary speed mine is on 3 my dog is a first cross deerhound/greyhound the odd time only a speck of pin sized blood has surfaced but with sanding attatchment and speed the nail is quaterized so to speak,also getting your dog used to the noise of the drill and the feel of the sanding motion on its nail/toe.

SDC10195.JPG

SDC10826.JPG

SDC10829.JPG

SDC10830.JPG

SDC10940.JPG

SDC11406.JPG

Just job Dremmel beats any cutters atb bill

• Like 1

In years gone by i liked dogs that where up on their toes, cat footed, because that was what the considered best by the "old fellas" .

post-2025-0-53707600-1438597907_thumb.jpg

but as time goes on I've seen plenty of injuries with this type and have learned to love a looser foot that has more pliability to it,  good bones and joints but more open in nature.

IMG_20171024_162027.thumb.jpg.b463cd8e2d4cdebe5d7de5cb18e4a069.jpg

As to mud in the nail beds, I find once a dog gets some  inflammation and skin withdrawal from the nail bed it tends to always be prone to it happening. Clean nail Beds with a soft tooth brush and  tap water or mild salt water, be careful not to cause more damage whilst doing it.

• Like 3
17 minutes ago, sandymere said:

In years gone by i liked dogs that where up on their toes, cat footed, because that was what the considered best by the "old fellas" .

post-2025-0-53707600-1438597907_thumb.jpg

but as time goes on I've seen plenty of injuries with this type and have learned to love a looser foot that has more pliability to it,  good bones and joints but more open in nature.

IMG_20171024_162027.thumb.jpg.b463cd8e2d4cdebe5d7de5cb18e4a069.jpg

As to mud in the nail beds, I find once a dog gets some  inflammation and skin withdrawal from the nail bed it tends to always be prone to it happening. Clean nail Beds with a soft tooth brush and  tap water or mild salt water, be careful not to cause more damage whilst doing it.

That dogs more flat footed than our Robert 

• Haha 1
21 hours ago, Black neck said:

Lovely mate 1 of them Galapagos 

His feet look quite tough to me. Good big knuckles. It's my opinion that the strength and toughness of ligaments and tendons means far more than the shape of the feet, hence the flatfooted bull crosses and saluki crosses that stay sound.

Now for the controversial bit! Ligaments and tendons increase in size while a pup is growing and once the pup is fully grown they (ligaments and tendons) don't grow anymore. Muscles grow in response to work but ligaments, tendons and cartilage don't do, not  noticeably anyway. Because of this it's my opinion that a pup intended for work should be allowed to run over roughish ground every day. Maybe not broken glass or slate quarries at first but that bit of woodland with roots and stones protruding from the ground should stress their little tootsies just about right and they'll also learn to dodge the worst bits as they go.

• Like 1