Tough toes

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As Charlie suggested,...keep the nails on a running dog nice and short I believe many cases of collateral Ligament damage to be spawned, by long nails, causing extra pressure on the toe when twis

Heres a few photos  I use a Dremmel copy got it off ebay £15 at the time down to the quick and as metioned short nails help to reduce toe injuries I also think its helped to keep a good shaped foot fr

In years gone by i liked dogs that where up on their toes, cat footed, because that was what the considered best by the "old fellas" . but as time goes on I've seen plenty of injuries with

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Maximus Ferret said:

His feet look quite tough to me. Good big knuckles. It's my opinion that the strength and toughness of ligaments and tendons means far more than the shape of the feet, hence the flatfooted bull crosses and saluki crosses that stay sound.

Now for the controversial bit! Ligaments and tendons increase in size while a pup is growing and once the pup is fully grown they (ligaments and tendons) don't grow anymore. Muscles grow in response to work but ligaments, tendons and cartilage don't do, not  noticeably anyway. Because of this it's my opinion that a pup intended for work should be allowed to run over roughish ground every day. Maybe not broken glass or slate quarries at first but that bit of woodland with roots and stones protruding from the ground should stress their little tootsies just about right and they'll also learn to dodge the worst bits as they go.

Of course this his very true  some folk only see what they can see. But we know having a welp growing in to a sapling playing about in ta woods fields etc will grow stronger bits of this and that plus has you say they have that bit more respect da obstacles namely trees etc.i see it like this those that are really worked on all terrain will be very lucky if it don't pick up the odd foot injury in its career  they all made to be broke .atb bill

• Like 1
1 hour ago, billhardy said:

Of course this his very true  some folk only see what they can see. But we know having a welp growing in to a sapling playing about in ta woods fields etc will grow stronger bits of this and that plus has you say they have that bit more respect da obstacles namely trees etc.i see it like this those that are really worked on all terrain will be very lucky if it don't pick up the odd foot injury in its career  they all made to be broke .atb bill

Flipping right