The old way!

Nine's hours afield today and yes I am knackered!

Bit of a grey day but good to be out.

No foxs seen and very little if no sign.

I found a fox carcass on the boundary of a shoot which I thought was grand.

No fresh turds or prints.

Fat squirrels though, got some whoppers today.

IMG-20181109-081220103-2.jpg

IMG-20181109-132013671-2.jpg

Got a chance of a long shot on a pheasant, sadly a hen, I usually leave them but @120strides as it turned out to be I fancied a rested head shot!

Shot one went just a little high but shot two gave the hen a new ear hole!

Not bad for WMR.

IMG-20181109-140936058.jpg

Eight squirrels, one crow, one woodie and two pheasants.

I had my catties with me today and very nearly got a squirrel with them as well!

Boy my legs and back......

U.

• Like 10

24 minutes ago, Brickhill said:

Plump fat Squizzers there UD. 

I know you're a fan of the .22WMR but what makes it better than the .17HMR ?

When the wind blows and deeper penetration.

No split necks.

There's nowt wrong with 17hmr, I only leg pull about it but honestly, if I want to shoot a bullet less than 25grn it either has to be by air or have a hell of a lot more powder behind it than hmr can offer. Think 17Rem. With the REM I have a chance at 100 yds in a gale and with air I have to be that close a gale won't bother it anyway.

The 120yd bird today was in some left to right wind. Hmr would of wanted quite a bit more there and I would of been guessing. I only had to consider drop which was nowt.

Just rather have some punch than 500fps more.

U.

• Like 1

All very logical UD thanks for your reply. I haven't tried WMR but like HMR a lot!

15 hours ago, Underdog said:

When the wind blows and deeper penetration.

No split necks.

There's nowt wrong with 17hmr, I only leg pull about it but honestly, if I want to shoot a bullet less than 25grn it either has to be by air or have a hell of a lot more powder behind it than hmr can offer. Think 17Rem. With the REM I have a chance at 100 yds in a gale and with air I have to be that close a gale won't bother it anyway.

The 120yd bird today was in some left to right wind. Hmr would of wanted quite a bit more there and I would of been guessing. I only had to consider drop which was nowt.

Just rather have some punch than 500fps more.

U.

• Like 3
28 minutes ago, Brickhill said:

All very logical UD thanks for your reply. I haven't tried WMR but like HMR a lot!

I’m also a bit of a fan of the .17 HMR, I like it for a bit of summer bunny bashing, sat on a hill top picking them off at 100+ yards, the down side to me is if it’s windy it doesn’t get an outing, I also really like the .17 hornet but haven’t thought of a good enough excuse for the missus, to buy one, other than I have room for it ( maybe that’s a good enough reason )

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Have you ever eaten Squirrel Underdog ?  They are serving Squirrel burgers in a pub near me . They strip the meat off and mix them with fat pork and make a Pattie with them . They are quite nice . The landlord will have as many as I can get . I’ve got my tunnel traps going now and I’m killing quite a few .

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Stavross said:

I’m also a bit of a fan of the .17 HMR, I like it for a bit of summer bunny bashing, sat on a hill top picking them off at 100+ yards, the down side to me is if it’s windy it doesn’t get an outing, I also really like the .17 hornet but haven’t thought of a good enough excuse for the missus, to buy one, other than I have room for it ( maybe that’s a good enough reason )

17 hornet is a great round.Can reload as cheap as chips. and 1500fps faster than hmr.

It's a bit of an animal. I shot a rabbit at around 70yds and was concerned when it jumped up in the air about three times. My buddy went to collect it and came back saying "I don't believe this". He held it up and the head was completely missing apart from one ear and two stringy bits with eyeballs still attached.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

Have you ever eaten Squirrel Underdog ?  They are serving Squirrel burgers in a pub near me . They strip the meat off and mix them with fat pork and make a Pattie with them . They are quite nice . The landlord will have as many as I can get . I’ve got my tunnel traps going now and I’m killing quite a few .

Yes mate, they are good eating.

I keep forgetting to take a baggie with me so I can peel them warm.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, shovel leaner said:

I know a game dealer in suffolk who pays 60 pence to a pound each for trapped squirrels for london restaraunts ,takes them frozen as well so you can save a few up and have a worth while cash in...

• Like 3