We're going to need a bigger gun ... !

1 hour ago, neil82 said:

it is probably written in to the zoo licence that the park/zoo has to have their own gear and competent people to use them

My local park certainly has, and a jolly fine selection of tools they have as well, I've never been privy to it all, but I've seen a few bits and I would say they have more than enough to deal with most eventualities.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'd go with a BSA Lightning in .25. One shot one kill.

I figure the pellet's trajectory would be no concern against a large and close target, even if one accounts for rotation of the earth. Shot placement is key and I certainly wouldn't be worried about h

I do a lot of work in a well known safari park, driving a crew cab transit tipper through on an occasion, I was greeted by the resident rhino in the road, and it honestly gave me a shiver when you see

Posted Images

33 minutes ago, JDHUNTING said:

I thought that only applied to the armed forces and the police did use expanding ammo? Rather shoot something like a rhino with a round that would penetrate well anyhow to be honest no point expanding if it can't get through the hide

plod is controlled by the same regs in the UK, don`t know about europlod, yanks have open season, not just expanding but shrapnel type ammo is promoted over there as ideal law enforcement ammo for ultimate "stopping power", the drug problems they have probably mean they need them there, as for expanding ammo penetrating hide, if the gun is big enough for the job it will penetrate the hide no problem, it just needs to do enough damage on the way through to drop the animal

• Like 1
6 hours ago, neil82 said:

plod is controlled by the same regs in the UK, don`t know about europlod, yanks have open season, not just expanding but shrapnel type ammo is promoted over there as ideal law enforcement ammo for ultimate "stopping power", the drug problems they have probably mean they need them there, as for expanding ammo penetrating hide, if the gun is big enough for the job it will penetrate the hide no problem, it just needs to do enough damage on the way through to drop the animal

That might be true but it's not the Geneva conventions that stop them mate. As said, they do not apply to domestic policing.

I think it might be the Hague Convention that prohibits expanding ammo anyway?

8 hours ago, Born Hunter said:

I think it might be the Hague Convention that prohibits expanding ammo anyway?

That was my understanding although like you I believe it only covers wartime and law enforcement is covered by local jurisdictions. Give the risk FMJ poses to bystanders I would be surprised if police forces used it in pistols.