Sign in to follow this  
hoosier

Working Glens

Most of the glens I see now  have something else mixed in....maybe Dandie Dinmont?..I've seen a couple in the last 15 years that are proper....

• Like 2

Same as Boland's comment,was taken back by dogs all round strength,big head,fine set of teeth,big lump in the flesh 

Don't think anybody works Glenn's or ever did much what do you mean as in work ?Irish strong dogs are far to big at 40pounds plus to do earthwork and weren't ever used or bred for it are you wanting dog for trials ?

Personally I think the working Glen is a thing of the past! 

Now there is the odd one or two here and there doing a bit, but I say you could count on one hand the ones that are up to a high working standard!

Is there anyone out there with a kennel full of working Glens?? I'd love to see it..

4 hours ago, smithwicks said:

Personally I think the working Glen is a thing of the past! 

Now there is the odd one or two here and there doing a bit, but I say you could count on one hand the ones that are up to a high working standard!

Is there anyone out there with a kennel full of working Glens?? I'd love to see it..

is there anyone with a pair of genuine working glens? id love to see that ,i have looked andd searched hard and have failed to find anyone so far 

4 hours ago, jigsaw said:

is there anyone with a pair of genuine working glens? id love to see that ,i have looked andd searched hard and have failed to find anyone so far 

I do know of a man who has bred a litter from two dogs he owns but I can't comment on them as I've not seen them work! I hope they work for him👌

• Like 1

On 30/08/2018 at 19:39, Lusitano said:

Allegedly a working Glen in ireland aged 10... they have been unable to find a bitch to breed him too. They are definitely an endangered working breed!

0DEC3855-B9B8-44D9-B5C7-B9D5B53A1609.jpeg

I’ve seen videos of this dog - looks crazy strong 

On 14/11/2018 at 07:45, jigsaw said:

They are out there - I was offered a working bitch about a year & 1/2 ago

£1000 was the price - didn’t have the cash 

11 minutes ago, IV Ecosse said:

They are out there - I was offered a working bitch about a year & 1/2 ago

£1000 was the price - didn’t have the cash 

they can shove it sideways ,i wouldnt give anyone that kind of money for a dog ,its the ruination of the breeds ....the working staffs years ago were sold to anyone who had the cash to be able to afford them ,those who bought hadnt the best interests of the breed at heart ,it was bought as an investment,and then pups churned out later on..and the proof is the rarity of the working staff today...theres still a few about held by breeders with the best intentions......ive met a man who has the breeds interest at heart ,i hope i can deal with him in the near future

Edited by jigsaw
  • Like 4

£1000 for a 3 yr old working bitch seemed fair - I got his purchase price confirmed from breeder (in Ireland) and also how much he spent getting dog shipped over - then upkeep for 3yrs, and the fact she was working 

Didnt seem unreasonable - the guy defo had best interest in mind! I don’t think even if you did churn pups out you’d have that much buyers - it’s not as if the terrier lads can dig to them. 

But over all I agree £1000 is a hefty chunk for a working dog 

25 minutes ago, TOPPER said:

a mate of mine has 4-5 of them that do a turn there to big as fox dogs but good  on other things

Does he use them in artificials?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, IV Ecosse said:

I've seen the gfather work some and I ain't an old boy. After he died the uncle got hands on em and just sold em for fxxking money but anyway I have seen em to ground and can remember them always been solid it would have took some stuff ta move em but they where not let into small tight places so ta speak.

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, IV Ecosse said:

What you “haha” ing at rabbit hunter?

Edited by IV Ecosse
  • Haha 1