Sign in to follow this  
hoosier

Working Glens

37 minutes ago, hoosier said:

A working glen thread would be interesting  and fun for sure. I tried to find a Glen 10 to 15 years ago but my career got in the way. And being across the pond doesn’t help. 

Great looking pup Tiger. What’s his makeup?

Glen /bull Russell patterdale /bull russell -accidental mating between 2 siblings  (left 1 pup)

a glen is just a wheaten with the dwarfism gene, i suspect wheaten breeders who have inbred too heavily have probably threw the odd glen types in litters,  ive had dandie dimond types in a litter of inbred bedlingtons, perfectly healthy, normal head and body size but with the short legs, front ones turned out. a fair few breeds have came about the same way.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tinytiger said:

Glen /bull Russell patterdale /bull russell -accidental mating between 2 siblings  (left 1 pup)

I’m sure those pups will swing a heavy stick 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, lawrence said:

a glen is just a wheaten with the dwarfism gene, i suspect wheaten breeders who have inbred too heavily have probably threw the odd glen types in litters,  ive had dandie dimond types in a litter of inbred bedlingtons, perfectly healthy, normal head and body size but with the short legs, front ones turned out. a fair few breeds have came about the same way.

I can get on board with that. Probably some other stuff thrown in the pot as well. 

Very few working glens about... hard to find anyone still working them. There has been glen types in wheaten litters as there has been wheaten types in glen litters even in recent times...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lusitano said:

Very few working glens about... hard to find anyone still working them. There has been glen types in wheaten litters as there has been wheaten types in glen litters even in recent times...

I was a Tommy Cullen's show a few years ago and there was a fella with a glen that I would of swore was a wheaten 

Thanks for the pic. Good looking glen. Is it safe to say that there’s not actually a working line of glen but instead people trying out glens here and there and they end up working?

• Like 1

I don’t think there is an existing working line of glens left but there is the odd gent still working the odd one or 2... 

It’s important to remember that originally glens we’re not as low on the leg as they are today, there was a much smaller size difference between wheatens and glens when both breeds were recognised by the KC in the 30’s. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lusitano said:

I don’t think there is an existing working line of glens left but there is the odd gent still working the odd one or 2... 

It’s important to remember that originally glens we’re not as low on the leg as they are today, there was a much smaller size difference between wheatens and glens when both breeds were recognised by the KC in the 30’s. 

The dog I posted above was 50lb -and had littermates with long legs.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lusitano said:

That seems to be the case. I’ll find a few guys here and there that keep bulldogs and other terriers etc that will have one or two Glens that work as well. When I start asking questions I get stonewalled. 😁 Can’t blame them. If the line isn’t there, it isn’t there. 

Glens bred from dunphys stuff in the 80s are still there In small numbers I hunt with a few every single season they’re a dying breed though I’m not sure about Wheaton’s with a dwarf gene as my friend has kept bred and worked Wheaton’s for 40 odd years and I’ve never seen a pup that looks like a proper glen 

What a shame. I’m surprised the glen doesn’t have a bigger following. A game working terrier that is a little more biddable then his terrier cousins.