Warning watch the ferrets in this heat

Guest vin

9 minutes ago, Welsh_red said:

Like the idea about the sand.  I've moved mine out of the shed and into the outside hutch , my sheds like a sweatbox . Think at least outside with mine they might catch any prevailing winds that might come past 

My shed was a pigeon loft, so there is a lot of air flow and the front wire have way up. 

• Like 1

Last summer where I live we had weeks of 40 degree days,I sprayed the ferrets with the hose several tjmes in the hottest part of the days and kept them in the shade,didn't lose any but it was a bit much even for ozzy ferrets.Have worked them on odd time in summer but they wan't to stay in the cool warrens.

On 26/06/2018 at 22:12, Welsh_red said:

Like the idea about the sand.  I've moved mine out of the shed and into the outside hutch , my sheds like a sweatbox . Think at least outside with mine they might catch any prevailing winds that might come past 

Tried that mate it don't work too well as the water in the metal nosel stays frozen double the time of the frozen water in the plastic bit its much easier to turn tap on cold as it goes smash a few ice cubes and put them in 

On 25/06/2018 at 12:15, dytkos said:

When I had ferts I used a mist spray filled with cold water and gave them a spray regularly.

Cheers, D.

Been using one for the dogs the last few days.

Cheers, D.

I tried a Tarp... it looked a like a junkyard... the missis wasn't impressed... and to be honest it did look shite all taped together and botched up.

I'm now considering a Gazebo or some of them Sails that you can tie up and shape around the yard/garden and create a better-looking sun shaded area etc.

Got to look after the little warriors.

• 1 month later...

Well the heat is still here. Went out bought a sheet of ply covered it in cooking foil, created an air gap with two bits of 3" x 3" timber. Seems to work well.

P1200295.thumb.JPG.edecb2492d7a6065443d7464e19c1241.JPG

P1200298.thumb.JPG.93f5a5a0a60efcf68d25cdbf55c6c889.JPG

Most days there in a run with and old fishing brolly over top.

P1200301.thumb.JPG.774e5b4804dbd10cc8568a0eb40ea9d7.JPG

Cheers Arry

• Like 2

1845576857_SkyferretingPerhap052.jpg.341c947a94b37e0f9e69086fea70e493.jpg

So good to see lads showing concern for their ferrets.:clapper:

For generations, ferrets have been woefully undervalued,..frequently neglected, used and sadly, abused. 

Nowadays, we are hopefully more enlightened and there really is no excuse to treat our wee pals badly.

I've kept ferrets all my life, although of late, I have moved my remaining stock to a safer and more secure location,...

I genuinely miss having them around...:yes:

• Like 3
1 hour ago, fred90 said:

been & brought a oscillating desk fan.got it on a chair right at front of wire.ferrets sleeping right behind it.proving a real saviour in this heat.

Im the same got fans in my setup.