Pepto Bismol for dogs

My ridgeback really had the shits the other night and was sick with it too. I know these things normally clear themselves up but she wasn't eating either which is very odd for a ridgeback.

Took her to the vets yesterday and he gave her a jab of antibiotics and a few days worth of pills. He said when she started eating again to put a teaspoon of pepto-bismol in with her food for a couple of days. He said next time one of the dogs has an upset stomach, try that first.

I thought human pills and tonics were bad for dogs? 

try just boiled  chicken and white rice  Dave  , it  help with her  gut , let it heal steady . this time of the year all dogs start eating grass , my 2 are like fooken sheep , Buck  loves mint  lol, got bit front of my garden   , he make bee line for the stuff . and when they (farmers ) start spraying  the fields  be careful  as well, even if your not in the fields  the wind will take it in to to edge rows  , to the next field , hope she picks up  , maybe get ask another vet about them tabs   mate .

I’ve always starved dogs with the shits for a day or two depending on how bad it is,once the shits have eased I give them boiled rice with a small amount of there regular meal mixed in, Lidl & Aldi fo 2 min rice packets 50-60p saves boiling rice.

• Like 1
On 25 May 2018 at 15:26, walshie said:

My ridgeback really had the shits the other night and was sick with it too. I know these things normally clear themselves up but she wasn't eating either which is very odd for a ridgeback.

Took her to the vets yesterday and he gave her a jab of antibiotics and a few days worth of pills. He said when she started eating again to put a teaspoon of pepto-bismol in with her food for a couple of days. He said next time one of the dogs has an upset stomach, try that first.

I thought human pills and tonics were bad for dogs? 

Hi pal, best thing for dogs upset stomach is plain natural yoghurt, will sort it out in 24 hours

• Like 1
On 25/05/2018 at 08:26, walshie said:

He said when she started eating again to put a teaspoon of pepto-bismol in with her food for a couple of days. He said next time one of the dogs has an upset stomach, try that first.

Sounds alright. What's the weight of the dog, Walshie?

I was given similar advice by our local vet. The APBT and ACD were fine but the smaller mutt was told to avoid because of his size. Chicken and rice like bird, said but I grill it instead of boiling it. I love my dogs and I'm no heathen with chickens!

Edited by ChrisJones
Typo
  • Haha 1
8 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

Sounds alright. What's the weight of the dog, Walshie?

I was given similar advice by our local vet. The APBT and ACD were fine but the smaller mutt was told to avoid because of his size. Chicken and rice like bird, said but I grill it instead of boiling it. I love my dogs and I'm no heathen with chickens!

Looking online they say 1 teaspoon per 10kg, She's 37kg so 1 teaspoon is nowhere near the suggested dosage.Then again I'm a tiny bit more than 37kg and a quick swig of PB sorts my heartburn right out. 

7 hours ago, walshie said:

Looking online they say 1 teaspoon per 10kg, She's 37kg so 1 teaspoon is nowhere near the suggested dosage.Then again I'm a tiny bit more than 37kg and a quick swig of PB sorts my heartburn right out. 

Sounds fine. I did 5ml in a syringe to the back of the throat. I did ask why I shouldn't use it on the smaller mutt and the vet rattled off the reasons Sandy posted. He's only around 20kg though. I've not had any issues with it to this point and certainly wouldn't hesitate to do it again.