Fell terrier cross

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The brothers bitch father is patterdale and dam is full whippet about 5mths.. Should be interesting to see how it works out. Def plenty of character.

cant believe i found this. not the best image but the little bitch is the first cross fellterrier.x. greyhound. the black n tan was 15 tts and he was the sire. the two pot lickers in the centre where

This thread has been done before I think so I apologise. I've been wondering about this cross for various reasons I'll not waste too much time on. Done a bit of searching and found what doesn't surpri

Posted Images

On 4/14/2018 at 17:52, Francie said:

I think a good strong working fell over a grey bitch, now that would be interesting born?

Would you rather a small medium or large cross lol

Anything between probably 18-21”. Fairly small then. Plenty of terrier blood to give a hard nature, good rough coat and that terrier like nature which I personally find quite biddable. A dog for ratting, doing squirrel dreys, rough shooting, ferreting, bit of lamping, ideal to have knocking about with me on the shoot or for flushing a fox and complement spaniels well. Maybe if raised to be steady and biddable enough be a handy stalking dog. Importantly not a big animal and not a lot of sighthound blood. Lots of scope for a dog bred the way I’m thinking, terriers are such versatile dogs if given the chance and so as a base for a lurcher really interests me. Any of the whirriers I posted pics of would suit me but a grey x would probably make for a better runner I agree.

Edited by Born Hunter
58 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

Anything between probably 18-21”. Fairly small then. Plenty of terrier blood to give a hard nature, good rough coat and that terrier like nature which I personally find quite biddable. A dog for ratting, doing squirrel dreys, rough shooting, ferreting, bit of lamping, ideal to have knocking about with me on the shoot or for flushing a fox and complement spaniels well. Maybe if raised to be steady and biddable enough be a handy stalking dog. Importantly not a big animal and not a lot of sighthound blood. Lots of scope for a dog bred the way I’m thinking, terriers are such versatile dogs if given the chance and so as a base for a lurcher really interests me. Any of the whirriers I posted pics of would suit me but a grey x would probably make for a better runner I agree.

A straight fell terrier will do all that 

• Like 1
Just now, Black neck said:

A straight fell terrier will do all that 

I know mate, I've had a very useful little bitch used for all sorts. I suppose that's largely why Im interested in one to a sighthound. It'd do all the terrier would, minus earth work (hopefully :laugh:) but have the legs to catch. 

8 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

I know mate, I've had a very useful little bitch used for all sorts. I suppose that's largely why Im interested in one to a sighthound. It'd do all the terrier would, minus earth work (hopefully :laugh:) but have the legs to catch. 

I got a little black fell for bushing and various things she's a cracker I can't tek her on shoot days tho she totally ignores the birds and flys off in search of bigger things 

20180121_101924.jpg

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Black neck said:

I got a little black fell for bushing and various things she's a cracker I can't tek her on shoot days tho she totally ignores the birds and flys off in search of bigger things 

Likewise mate. Cracking beating dog for hedges, just works it lovely and business like with no great fuss, and the the odd gun loves the opportunity of a quick bolt between drives.

I'm probably always going to have a spaniel or two about now and can't shake the feeling this lurcher/whirrier would really round out my dog needs.

Cassie&rat.JPG

20180414_195253.jpg

• Like 3

I can't think of any reason why fell(patterdale) x greyhound isn't more popular. People would use sh1t untested bulls and Wheatons first . The only conclusion I can make is they wouldn't throw height, other than that they should be a perfect gamely cross for taking foxes. I don't think they would retrieve rabbits back to hand alive though. They have too much character for that.

• Like 3
4 minutes ago, jiggy said:

I don't think they would retrieve rabbits back to hand alive though. They have too much character for that.

You might be surpised, that bitch of mine would. I ruined her retrieving really but she'd retrieve duck from water, cock pheasant, even just a couple weeks ago came bumbling out of a hedge with a live rabbit for me. Before I ruined her it would all be live to hand, and still usually is, just more temperamental now. Shocked many a Gun bless her.

She just lacks a really critical level of hardness for me to be worthy breeding from. Useful as f**k for me past 8 years mind. But that doesn't make a dog worth breeding off imo.

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, jiggy said:

I can't think of any reason why fell(patterdale) x greyhound isn't more popular. People would use sh1t untested bulls and Wheatons first . The only conclusion I can make is they wouldn't throw height, other than that they should be a perfect gamely cross for taking foxes. I don't think they would retrieve rabbits back to hand alive though. They have too much character for that.

My little fell will retreave ote it catches fur or feather alive tho err no

I think the popular terrier crosses are all mute breeds maybe that has a bearing on things

17 minutes ago, Born Hunter said:

You might be surpised, that bitch of mine would. I ruined her retrieving really but she'd retrieve duck from water, cock pheasant, even just a couple weeks ago came bumbling out of a hedge with a live rabbit for me. Before I ruined her it would all be live to hand, and still usually is, just more temperamental now. Shocked many a Gun bless her.

She just lacks a really critical level of hardness for me to be worthy breeding from. Useful as f**k for me past 8 years mind. But that doesn't make a dog worth breeding off imo.

An interesting cross nevertheless but I haven't seen one in the flesh so to be fair I'm just guessing.

1 hour ago, Born Hunter said:

Well critical levels of hardness it will have to be a bull whippet for you sir plus you get the added bonus of wearing the full tracksuit and trainers and snearing at folk 

• Haha 1
1 hour ago, jiggy said:

That little dog I knew of was a tryer on fox but trying can only carry you  so far, another 4 or 5 inches and it would of been a decent fox dog.

• Like 4
9 minutes ago, dogmandont said:

That little dog I knew of was a tryer on fox but trying can only carry you  so far, another 4 or 5 inches and it would of been a decent fox dog.

Have you seen some of them old fells  in particular a dog called red ike he was well up on the leg would of bin ideal