Clean Water

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Because we pay for their water, as well as ours !  Just £3 a month will supply clean water ???? I think I'll live over there - mine is £25 !!!!

Once we blow up the 2 Severn bridges an the wye and bigsweir bridge they can only come down from ross on wye ?

Did you know that Evian spelt backwards is naivE?

Posted Images

14 minutes ago, jiggy said:

But yet the populations boom in poorer countries when the lack of water should slow population growth. They still get by somehow.

Because we pay for their water, as well as ours ! :laugh:

Just £3 a month will supply clean water ???? I think I'll live over there - mine is £25 !!!!

• Haha 4
9 minutes ago, jiggy said:

Cape Town is still f*ck*d looking at that map and even the BGS says it's only a stopgap.

Given the cost of drilling, extraction, and processing, combined with shall we say some of the African nation's propensity to misappropriate funds that it wouldn't be anything more than a short-term gain if one at all? :hmm:

Looking at the 2050 prediction if the status quo is kept it doesn't look too rosy. I guess we'll see how it plays out but I'd expect to see a couple of hosepipe bans in the next few years!

Edited by ChrisJones
9 minutes ago, socks said:

We live on an island why don't we build salene conversion plants around the coastline ... we are never going to run out of sea water that's for sure ......

True but the current technology for desalination is really high on energy use and produces a lot of waste that needs to be disposed of in order to not destroy fisheries.

14 minutes ago, Ted Newgent said:

Yup blame the canucks

i dont drink the water here, its fckn awful. 

I fitted a reverse osmosis system in the house just because.

the irish can sell water as its always damn raining over there

The problem is when it floods the drinking water mixes with the sewage so there is eating and drinking in the same glass.?

• Sad 1
42 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

True but the current technology for desalination is really high on energy use and produces a lot of waste that needs to be disposed of in order to not destroy fisheries.

You could use the tide as a source of power as they are doing in Swansea ... as for the waste I know nothing sir lol .....

• Haha 1

Or....we could stop filling London with the dregs of the world and there would be plenty of water to go round. :thumbs:

I remember reading years ago that water we drank in London had been recycled 7 times. That's obviously a lot more now. Revolting however you look at it. 

Nearly every sewage treatment plant in Ireland is built beside a river. ( convenient when they constantly overflow with heavy rainfall.)  They hire in a tractor and slurry tank to pump out plant in my town to make it look good. 10 load a week wouldn't empty some private tanks for a family of 4 during a flood never mind a population of 3000. It's laughable the local council have been seen in early hours of morning pulling the hatch and letting it into flooded river. When those plants fill up there isn't anywhere for excess to go.

Will there be adverts on the telly with a Young barrow boy dressed like Oliver Twist that go’s :

”Young Oliver has to walk 4 miles to the river Thames every morning just to get water........just £2 a week will help him buy low code lucazade down east lane market” 

2 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

I've been following the Cape Town story with interest over the last few months. For those unfamiliar with the story, their three-year drought has been so severe that they're on the verge of running out of water completely. They were due to run completely dry on April 12th but with drastic water rationing down to 50 litres a day they've been able to push "Day Zero" back to June 4th. While hardly comforting it is giving them time find a solution or hope that it will rain!

A bit closer to where I'm sat the state of California had a five-year drought that was literally quashed at the 11th hour, last year as the state received record rainfall just as the city of Los Angeles was wondering what the f*ck it was going to do. They'd even reached the point of paying people to rip up their lawns and desert-scape them instead to stop the abuse of sprinkler systems. Flash forward to this month and already the drought conditions are starting to return as the winter rains haven't come. How this will affect them is anyone's guess at this point but with increasingly hotter summers, and milder winters, the future will require some serious adaptation.

What the f*ck has this got to do with us, Chris?

A search of the Top 10 cities likely to suffer similar issues is London. The current use versus resupply model suggests that London could have supply problems by 2025, and serious shortages by 2040 which considering the rainfall in the UK shows just how much water is used/wasted on an annual basis. Now climate change is a hoax as our THL experts have concluded but the hotter summers combined with milder winters, not to mention population growth challenging the supply/demand problem that figure could shift as the population is predicted to top 13 million.

The question is what measures could we adopt, as a first world country, to prevent us following the model of a recently declared 'sh*th*le?'

desalination plant .  seawater to fresh           job done!!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, socks said:

You could use the tide as a source of power as they are doing in Swansea ... as for the waste I know nothing sir lol .....

True but that in itself would require massive investment, surely? :hmm:

I would have thought solar distillation would work and will probably be used through necessity at some point.

2 hours ago, walshie said:

Or....we could stop filling London with the dregs of the world and there would be plenty of water to go round. :thumbs:

I remember reading years ago that water we drank in London had been recycled 7 times. That's obviously a lot more now. Revolting however you look at it. 

Still though, 150 litres as an average per person... At what point do we say it's time to reel it in a little?

1 hour ago, WILF said:

Will there be adverts on the telly with a Young barrow boy dressed like Oliver Twist that go’s :

”Young Oliver has to walk 4 miles to the river Thames every morning just to get water........just £2 a week will help him buy low code lucazade down east lane market” 

F*ck off Wilf! There's no way that lads going to be called Oliver!

1 hour ago, riohog said:

desalination plant .  seawater to fresh           job done!!

Massive investment from an arena that cannot manage it's own resources as it is. Also, is desalination going to be able to provide water to 70m million people? We're asking people that have already demonstrated they're not fit to handle tax money to handle more of it.

• Haha 1