Brexit Thread Redux

2 hours ago, BGD said:

Article 50 has been triggered and a date set when the UK will leave the EU, the vote has been implemented and now negotiations on the future relationship are taking place.

When they start seriously moving towards staying in the Single Market and Customs Union  or ever longer transition periods (which admittedly they're close to) I think it would be fair to start talk about subverting democracy but treating any kind of negotiation with the EU as going against the will of the people and the death of democracy is a bit alarmist.

So, you have MUCH MUCH more faith in a Tory government as an “old labour” Corbyn fan than I do as an old, jaded “right winger” !! :laugh:

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I genuinely think it’s more simple than that mate, almost to a man none of them want to leave this massive and very lucrative club for people just like themselves and they have found the way to f**k o

All this could have been avoided, if the EU had had the brains to throw that prick Cameron a bone when he was asking for a different deal for the UK, there never would have been a referendum. The

I had a conversation in the week with a bloke I do business with. He phones up sounding like he is going to be shot at dawn and tells me that another associate has taken over a dealership so now

Posted Images

2 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

https://news.sky.com/story/labour-bids-to-force-full-publication-of-leaked-brexit-impact-paper-11229394

Labour are going to use an humble address to force them to make the assessments available to all MPs, a public release will almost certainly follow soon after that.

5 minutes ago, WILF said:

So, you have MUCH MUCH more faith in a Tory government as an “old labour” Corbyn fan than I do as an old, jaded “right winger” !! :laugh:

Not really I just think it's silly and alarmist to shout about democracy being dead because they're actually following the Article 50 process that we all knew about before the referendum.

Just because the Brexit you voted for involved not negotiating with the EU at all and just walking away does not mean it's subverting democracy to negotiate with them. Labour and the Conservatives both said going into the election that they would seek to make a deal to maintain as close trading ties as possible with the EU, the people voted overwhelming for those two parties and so that is what their representatives in Parliament are carrying out. That's democracy.

If the people truly wanted a Hard & Fast Brexit they had the opportunity to vote for that in the 2017 GE, they didn't.

• Thanks 1

Looking like British beef is back on the Chinese market :thumbs: ...however  I see a slight problem with the plans to export dairy products also .....has no one told her nearly all Chinese are lactose intolerant :blink: https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/912561/theresa-may-china-visit-trade-deal-beef-ban-lift-before-brexit

• 2 weeks later...

Mate, a massive show of respect to those old veterans a few years back when we had the Japanese bloke over on a state visit and we were being all nicey nicey and all that old bollocks.

All them old boys stood on the Mall and turned their back......good on them, more back turning required in old Blighty if you ask me !

Huzzah ! 

42 minutes ago, WILF said:

Mate, a massive show of respect to those old veterans a few years back when we had the Japanese bloke over on a state visit and we were being all nicey nicey and all that old bollocks.

All them old boys stood on the Mall and turned their back......good on them, more back turning required in old Blighty if you ask me !

Huzzah ! 

I'm out of likes so have a :thumbs:

• Like 1