Brexit Thread Redux

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

BGD, I don’t know what that principal is mate.....I just know that all this is bollocks for petty point scoring from all sides by the look.

Real lads who want to do real business won’t be f***ing mongs about it......they will just get on and make things work.

It basically means you can't grant special favours (like no customs checks) to a single nation without granting them to all other nations you're trading with under WTO rules.

There's also the problem of Ireland not being able to negotiate trade deals with the UK while they're members of the EU, it all has to be done through them.

It really is a very complicated situation with sensitivities that will need to be delicately handled on both the Unionist and Republican sides.

• Like 1

• Replies 738
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I genuinely think it’s more simple than that mate, almost to a man none of them want to leave this massive and very lucrative club for people just like themselves and they have found the way to f**k o

All this could have been avoided, if the EU had had the brains to throw that prick Cameron a bone when he was asking for a different deal for the UK, there never would have been a referendum. The

I had a conversation in the week with a bloke I do business with. He phones up sounding like he is going to be shot at dawn and tells me that another associate has taken over a dealership so now

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, BGD said:

It basically means you can't grant special favours (like no customs checks) to a single nation without granting them to all other nations you're trading with under WTO rules.

There's also the problem of Ireland not being able to negotiate trade deals with the UK while they're members of the EU, it all has to be done through them.

It really is a very complicated situation with sensitivities that will need to be delicately handled on both the Unionist and Republican sides.

Then basically everyone has to understand that historically and politically Ireland and the UK have a unique situation that may require a unique solution......that can be as simple or as complicated as anyone wants to make it.

15 minutes ago, BGD said:

Is this something that could potentially exacerbate old rivalries?

All this “seamless” travel around the EU is bollocks anyway.

i have to go through immigration/ border control when I fly to other European countries.......I have been stopped by customs at Calais on my way back from clearing a job in Munich in the lorries.

As I said about 10 posts back.........teenage girl stuff all this ! 

2 minutes ago, WILF said:

All this “seamless” travel around the EU is bollocks anyway.

i have to go through immigration/ border control when I fly to other European countries.......I have been stopped by customs at Calais on my way back from clearing a job in Munich in the lorries.

As I said about 10 posts back.........teenage girl stuff all this ! 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schengen_Area

25 minutes ago, WILF said:

Then basically everyone has to understand that historically and politically Ireland and the UK have a unique situation that may require a unique solution......that can be as simple or as complicated as anyone wants to make it.

That would certainly be the sensible way to go about it. Whether there's enough sensible folk involved in the negotiations for that to happen is another thing though.

19 minutes ago, ChrisJones said:

Is this something that could potentially exacerbate old rivalries?

If it's not handled right it definitely could. Especially if combined with an economic downturn leaving plenty of angry young men without much to lose...

• Like 1
1 minute ago, BGD said:

If it's not handled right it definitely could. Especially if combined with an economic downturn leaving plenty of angry young men without much to lose...

That would be my concern reading between the lines. I know there are a lot of old attitudes and this strikes as something that could kick it off.

6 hours ago, ChrisJones said:

That would be my concern reading between the lines. I know there are a lot of old attitudes and this strikes as something that could kick it off.

That's the point we made in the referendum debate......now we're stirring it......we only had peace for 25 years.....Wilf was correct when he send people don't want the gun back in politics, but all it takes is a couple of zealots to carry out an atrocity, and we're all back in the cluster fook......

instead ad of May using us as a pawn and a bargaining.....she needs to sort out the border issue and her shit with Ireland bloody pronto.....not down the line....not sure begorragh "it will be alright"......

varadker  is entirely correct to point that out......end of.....

• Thanks 1

The fact that your toiseach is who he is indicates how forward thinking this generation of Irish people are, 

anglo Irish relations are at an all time high over the last few years , the queen visited there in 2011 ffs, 

if a few old men in the border counties start their napoleonic rhetoric again, I’d like to think that the Instagram savvy generation have enough about them to say 

“nah, we’ve been down that road “ 

the idea of a hard border may be hard to swallow , but a physical barrier should be in situ, we want out, we shouldn’t allow our border to be intravenous , and we shouldn’t tread on eggshells so we don’t upset the Irish 

• Like 2
3 hours ago, THE STIFFMEISTER said:

we want out, we shouldn’t allow our border to be intravenous , and we shouldn’t tread on eggshells so we don’t upset the Irish 

I love that line. No one is stopping ye leaving. The issue is ye don't just want that, ye also want X,Y &  along with it. Time to wake up to the fact there are other countries with their own interests in the world who are willing and able to express and defend those interests.

I'd say there's plenty of sour milk in Tory tea this morning.

• Like 1

What about the farms and villages that straddle the border? Or the folk who travel back and forth for work every day? How would a hard border and physical barrier affect them?

There's even houses with the front door on one side and the back door on the other!

6 hours ago, green lurchers said:

its all going to plan , the eu is crumbling , merkel is loosing grip , the hungarain poland checko pact is playing ther part  the lefty liberal machine is in dissarey love it on all fronts

It's still great out here. Lots of work, lots of promotions & lots of pay rises :thumbs:.......somebody really needs to give the EU the nod on how bad it is.........they obviously just don't get it???

Edited by Accip74
  • Haha 2

The EU isn’t in a shit state, Ireland isn’t in a shit state......its the UK that’s in a shit state really if truth be told.

They are all living off money that don’t exist........except the EU has 500 million people’s life to mortgage and the UK only has 70 million.

Every f****r is writing cheques they can’t cash so let’s be honest.

This was about getting back to self determination and being an independent country with some semblance of democracy (as much of a joke as that seems at the moment)

Ireland makes a big deal about winning it’s indepndance from the UK but it just gave it away again, same as every member gave it away.......ireland like almost every other EU nation are just mutts in the German and French kennel, they do as they are told or get a kick up the arse.

The Uk has decided enough is enough and they want to have a go on their own, nobody at all in Westminster agrees with them and are doing exactly everything they can to f**k them out it.......but a few million Brits still have enough Britishness about them to have the guts to want to be a self governing independent nation.

That, ladies and gents, deserves a bit of respect.....because no other c**t had the bottle to do it or even consider it !! 

Edited by WILF
  • Like 4