My First Ferrets

Hi guys.

Finally got myself two of this years working ferrets. These are my first ferrets that I've owned myself and although I've been ferreting before I have never 'brought on' any young ferrets.

Can you lot help me with any advice?

Simply lovely

BBB

Keep them well handled, get your dog used the your kits, and if you want to save your self some hassle, get the ferrets going through the nets before you take them out, the last one is optional, but pays you back if you work on your own a lot.

Get the biggest hutch you have room for minimum 6x2x2 for two ferrets handle them as often as possible picking them up putting them down , putting collars on then and try them in the carry box , get them used to a bit of noise rattling keys off the front of the cage or when you clean them out it all helps and stops them lurking in the burrow mouths

• Like 1

I got three kits Monday night, and I'm getting them used to my hands. As they are only 8 weeks, when I stroke them and tickle their bellies, they are all teeth. It doesn't hurt at all as they are so small, but as they nip, gently put your finger in their mouths on their tongue, they don't like the sensation, and after several times times they ease off nipping. Obviously don't be rough, as they are only small. It's easier to put them off nipping when it doesn't hurt and are small, then a couple of months down the line when they have grown an awful lot and start getting more power in their bite

Edited by beany01

How often should I handle them and how long should I have them out of the cage for play time?

As often and for as long as you can the more attention you give them just now will pay off later

How often should I handle them and how long should I have them out of the cage for play time?

As often and for as long as you can the more attention you give them just now will pay off later

Would you say that handling for 10 mins per day with 30 mins play time outside of the cage will serve me well?

Would you say that handling for 10 mins per day with 30 mins play time outside of the cage will serve me well?

As a start yes if you have kids get them involved during the holidays as long as there supervised

I have a separate run on the lawn they spend a lot of time in and put some blank collars on the kits so they get used to them. As the other guys said the more handing the better especially early on, I don't believe you can handle them to much. Also keep mine locked up.

Cheers Arry

Just got two hob kits first ferrets in 5years a mate gifted them as he knows I'll be lost with out the lurcher this winter anyone any advice for breaking to 4 year old terriers to them or is it a no go. Sorry for butting in bbb

Jack44 it depends on the terrier but the only dogs I've had that accept ferrets are ones I've had from a pup. I'd even say without really disciplining the dog at the slighest bit of agression you ain't got much chance and even then with most terriers you can never "fully" trust them as you would with a pup brought up with em. Hope this helps.

You can but try. Get the kits in a run playing about and chuntering and judge the terriers intentions and go from there. Even if you did that every day for a year if that is what it takes. Don't make a big thing about it just pop them in the run then take the terrier for a walk some where as a little routine. Just be careful when you opening the door and they come bowling out what the terrier is doing. Good luck :thumbs:

I got my first ever kits this year aswell. I have a hutch in a shed and I've changed the wooden door of the shed over to a mesh one I made so theirs light and air flowing through there. I had my kits out the hutch for half hour to a hour a night roughly with me inside and mesh door closed and sat on their carry box in there and let them go a bit bonkers . I pick them up and put them down loads . Just picking up and putting down for no reason other than to let them know they get put down easy enough . When mine nipped I put finger in their mouth or a flick to the nose . I also had them on their backs with me manhandling their belly. Like you would with a dog if they pay like that and you were playing with them . The idea was If i can get them ok with that when their a bit wound up later on in life they won't be bothered if I have to pick them out of a hole in awkward positions . I bought a Simon Whitehead (not sure if that's right surname) dvd on ferreting . It was near 20 quid but worth it . I also regularly spit on my finger/palm and offer it to them . They love lickinf it off . Now whenever I put my hand down they bound over and climb into my hand . I make plenty of noise in their shed . I got a dustbuster to hoover up the tight corner bits of shavings left over from a clean , they don't care anymore more .

All that being said, both ferrets brought up exactly the same since I got them and 1 is golden. The other skulks from some loud noises and still occasionally nips gently. No worry with it tho as it's still young and will come good in the end

Im brand new to ferrets aswell and my only source of info is here and the rest of the internet

• Like 1