Lynx Reintroduction Application.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

you right neil , that try to use any excuse to stop any form of hunting . but regards the lynx the farmers would prob shoot them to protect there live stock = sheep

If I lived over there I'd probably be on for it but would be a little wary that if it's a success the anti's would use them as an excuse to end deer stalking.

so much have changed in the country since they last roamed in the wild okay the roe deer population has exploded but i reckon there's more sheep now than then and there going to be a easier prey

• 3 weeks later...

There's talk of releasing up to 8! Any farmers losing sheep would be compensated! Sitting on the fence in this one!

I would say the Lynx is probably the less likely of the cats to take sheep, they are more of a woodland hunter and through summer seem to take a lot of smaller prey like rabbits, hare and birds, although I know what I do is not a perfect science or any of my findings are hard facts but in general it seems that sheep that have been dipped or sprayed recently are hardly ever taken by cats and it's thought the taste and/or smell put them off, most sheep kills we get reports on have not had any of these treatments for ages and are usually quite close to shearing IE long haired and matted in shit, but roe kills outnumber the sheep massively, I think it will also depend on how the Lynx have been reared as most cats seem to go for the easy option until they settle in and find there own niche in there environment
  • Like 1