Mink In Strange Places

No i don't. Not a big thing over here. But i watch alot of youtube vids on it. Because it intrest me. But i can see the difference between the 2 and the way they hunt. I been thinking about getting a mink to start hunting muskrat's with the kid. We have alot of them we're from. The minkery guy has vids on his minks catching fish, muskrats, even big birds. There super smart and a tough killing machine.

I think the main difference is you don't want your ferret going into burrows and killing everything all the time otherwise your digging multiple holes constantly .

The mink is a incredible killer you can't deny that but when the purpose of the animal you put down a hole is to flush rabbits out of the hole you can't beat the ferret .

It's like comparing a Ferrari to a rally car . In all aspects of mechanics the Ferrari is beautifull inside and out . A feat of mechanics . But not very good at rallying.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The mink is much faster than even the sleekest ferret ,will dart about like a stoat . I reared one with ferrets in a large aviary once and the difference was there to be seen .As for use as a hunting

Rippon, you are talking of something you have no first hand experience of. Lads here are brought up ferreting so they know a thing or two about them .Ferrets will drag stuff out of holes but it's not

Went for a walk around outside of large landfill site with the two terriers this morning always get a rat or two knocking about young bitch gave a good mark under a large sheet of plywood whistled old

A trained mink will retrieve it and bring it back to you. Don't need much digging. Watch the guy's video's. Or talk to him in the ferreting section on here. You don't train them to hunt, it's natural instint for them, you train them to bring it back and listen. And to socks, they will run over and kill a ferret so i seriously doubt they couldn't catch a rabbit. These are working machines by nature not bred by some guy. Big difference. Like someone was trying to compare them to cars, its more like having a tiger versus having a house cat is more like it.

A trained mink will retrieve it and bring it back to you. Don't need much digging. Watch the guy's video's. Or talk to him in the ferreting section on here. You don't train them to hunt, it's natural instint for them, you train them to bring it back and listen. And to socks, they will run over and kill a ferret so i seriously doubt they couldn't catch a rabbit. These are working machines by nature not bred by some guy. Big difference. Like someone was trying to compare them to cars, its more like having a tiger versus having a house cat is more like it.

I don't think there trained to retrieve I think that comes naturally

Rippon, you are talking of something you have no first hand experience of. Lads here are brought up ferreting so they know a thing or two about them .Ferrets will drag stuff out of holes but it's not training ,just some prefer to dine elsewhere other than a hole ,same with mink .Our ferrets are kept well fed and can be fed on the morning of a hunt with no drop in hunting desire ,not so with a mink ,in my experience they get grumpy when full up and disturbed ,preferring to sleep .Our ferrets are mostly kept with a little bit of body coverage unlike their wild cousins the polecat. Mink as with most things found underground can be bolted by a ferret when fresh but you are probably right in that a mink could kill a tame ferret .Used for rabbiting, mink are no good at all as mine killed every rabbit it ever found ,never allowing one to bolt cleanly and raced around the buries in contrast to the ferret which trundles in with no great hurry .The wild polecat is on a par with the mink though in its desire to kill ,speed and agility able to run up trees with ease.

• Like 6

Rippon, you are talking of something you have no first hand experience of. Lads here are brought up ferreting so they know a thing or two about them .Ferrets will drag stuff out of holes but it's not training ,just some prefer to dine elsewhere other than a hole ,same with mink .Our ferrets are kept well fed and can be fed on the morning of a hunt with no drop in hunting desire ,not so with a mink ,in my experience they get grumpy when full up and disturbed ,preferring to sleep .Our ferrets are mostly kept with a little bit of body coverage unlike their wild cousins the polecat. Mink as with most things found underground can be bolted by a ferret when fresh but you are probably right in that a mink could kill a tame ferret .Used for rabbiting, mink are no good at all as mine killed every rabbit it ever found ,never allowing one to bolt cleanly and raced around the buries in contrast to the ferret which trundles in with no great hurry .The wild polecat is on a par with the mink though in its desire to kill ,speed and agility able to run up trees with ease.

you are absolutely right that i dont have first hand experience and i already said that. But i have owened ferrets, never hunted them though. And your saying a ferret will bolt a mink? Id like to see that. Not saying they can't just find that hard to believe. Have your ferrets ever caught and killed a muskrat? Or do they just catch rabbits? Because there is a difference between catching something that isnt trying to kill your ferret or mink verses something that is. Ive done alot of research on both and im going with the mink because there bigger and stronger and are natural killers. But like i said all my info is what i read and see on youtube. So I'll find out when i get my mink. I def could be wrong, but when you watch vids of ferrets running rabbits versus minks killing muskrats, it seems like a no brainer to me. By the way do you guys have muskrat's in your country?

Could you cross a mink with a ferret? Or would the DNA not match up?

Just asking out of curiosity

It's been done with European mink but I don't know about American mink. They call them khonorik or something.
  • Like 1

you are absolutely right that i dont have first hand experience and i already said that. But i have owened ferrets, never hunted them though. And your saying a ferret will bolt a mink? Id like to see that. Not saying they can't just find that hard to believe. Have your ferrets ever caught and killed a muskrat? Or do they just catch rabbits? Because there is a difference between catching something that isnt trying to kill your ferret or mink verses something that is. Ive done alot of research on both and im going with the mink because there bigger and stronger and are natural killers. But like i said all my info is what i read and see on youtube. So I'll find out when i get my mink. I def could be wrong, but when you watch vids of ferrets running rabbits versus minks killing muskrats, it seems like a no brainer to me. By the way do you guys have muskrat's in your country?

The musk rat seems a weaker animal than our brown rat and less inclined to fight back from what I've seen on YouTube and no we don't have them here , whereas our brown rat actively wants to fight using its teeth to good effect.Ferrets bred for the job usually do a season or two at rat whereas mink won't entertain them from the little experience I've had. I thought I had the ultimate ratter in my tame mink but it met one and jibbed there and then .Our ferrets ain't meant to kill their quarry, we need rabbits on top to get despatched or to provide a sporting chance for lurchers or hawks. Mink are much the same size as ferrets ,large hobs are impressive animals as are dog mink with females much the same size too .Ferrets vary hell of a lot in size as do mink ,in the wild here anyway .The mink is without doubt the best killer between tame ferrets and tame mink but in the wild ,polecats would be their equal in my opinion .