Pups Dewclaws

just lately must have seen abiout 20 lurcher pups of different breeds with front dew claws still intact but back ones removed, is there any logic answer to this,or are breeders just getting lapse,i always removed them from my pups at afew days old,seen dew claws causing some pain and grief to dogs when working, dont see the point in leaving them on,or is this the new trend.

Only ever dog I've seen with back dew claws was a heavely collie bred lurcher I've only ever seen that once. I'm a firm believer in dew claws being removed on running dogs as they surve no perpose to a running dog especially one that works.i personally think it shows what these people putting litters on the ground that don't remove actually know about running dogs leaving them on a pup it also shows that there not willing to spend £4 at a vet getting them removed that also speaks volumes on the no expense spared ads that get put up all over the place

• Like 2

There is a young lad , lives in my area, he is planning to breed his lurcher bitch when it next comes into season, he asked me if I would be interested in a pup, he is one of these lads that ponces around the village showing off his dog, it never sees work, had a chat we him, asked if they would be getting their dew claws done, whats dew claws he asked, f**k mop then I says,

• Like 2

i got 2 dogs both had there front dew claws on my old dog had never had a problem and hes coming upto 13 now my younger dog almost bang on the day he hit 3 started pulling off rabbits his jumping went a little off tune aswell and it took me a while to work out what the f**k was going on. had his front dew claws removed and hey presto back to his normal self.

front dew claws are not always a problem and thats why some lads dont get them removed.

At a couple of days old it's a simple process ,and fairer on the dog ,some may get by with them not causing hassle but you wouldn't know that at 2 or 3 days old when it's time to take them off.

Get them done as pups easier on the dogs.

Think they should be taken off all pups, never had any bother when we just had salukis but the first lurcher had a few probs the worst being a meaty U shaped tear, haven't seen rear dew claws on a runner either

• Like 1