Best Guard Dog

You will get around any dog one way or another if you want to badly enough.

Having a dog is realistically is to reduce the risks of being targeted by opportunists and as a deterrent IE, making would be thieves look for easier pickings.

I've a thirteen month old boerboel bitch, very switched on and vocal as well as looking the part.

Would she step up if required?, I don't know, and if I don't know neither does the guy looking over my fence, and the majority of people won't chance finding out.

thats the main thing a dog with a good bark is more off putting to most people more then a bite bite is last resort really I always think of a dog as an early warning system aswell when I used to go out poaching and I've cut through a farm yard only to find I've awakened the farm collie and he's letting everybody know some bodies about ?
  • Like 1

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

As a deterrent,.the average GSD is the boss,...folk are scared of them,...its kinda engrained in our psych to be spooked by a wolf like critter......   All this silly,.. Billy Big Bollocks talk abo

Just a shout for the bouvier as an excellent natural guard and bomb proof with the family. Had this bitch from 9 weeks old and she has never put a foot wrong, bit of handful in the her youth but once

Few pics

Posted Images

It's not about making it impossible,very few things are.

I lock my front door at night,if someone wanted they'd kick the door down,so should I just not bother then?

Also training a dog for protection is one of the few remaining legal activities you can do with them,no looking over your shoulder or sneaking about needed.

• Like 2

You will get around any dog one way or another if you want to badly enough.

Having a dog is realistically is to reduce the risks of being targeted by opportunists and as a deterrent IE, making would be thieves look for easier pickings.

I've a thirteen month old boerboel bitch, very switched on and vocal as well as looking the part.

Would she step up if required?, I don't know, and if I don't know neither does the guy looking over my fence, and the majority of people won't chance finding out.

thats the main thing a dog with a good bark is more off putting to most people more then a bite bite is last resort really I always think of a dog as an early warning system aswell when I used to go out poaching and I've cut through a farm yard only to find I've awakened the farm collie and he's letting everybody know some bodies about

a mate not far from me as got Boerboel bitch, and it about the same age, You are right they deff look the part , and so do a rottie , and gsd , but a full grown boerboel , really have that presence about them , even more so the males at 12st :yes: .But ive got to be honest here i would not buy any dog what he payed for that boerboel bitch =£ 1600 quid , they can go up to £ 2000 quid :blink: . just for something to bark and look the part. one thing i do know about is the health probs some big dogs get, from having bullmastiffs , most big heavy dogs will be fooked with HD and elbow probs before the dogs are 6 years old, i was told by 2 vets most dogs when they get over 100lb in weight, they get skeletal probs , and dont live very long . So i reckon a colliex gsd collie x lab something like these from any pound/rescue etc will do similar job and be lot more healthy .I do like Boerboel dogs, that lads bitch is great nice soft temp with people and dogs, she just started to guard a bit , bloody hell she i powerful she like a fookin tank think she near 50kl break your leg if she it you lol. it just the cost of them and the health probs they could get put me off owning one. !!

Depends what you want.

Serious schutzhund work then a Dutch herder

Looking the part and no training then a boerboel

Alerting you and yapping then a collie

Livestock guardian then a Greek shepherd or something similar

Also like the look of those Serbian Defense Dogs

Like lurchers though it's a dog for a job

• Like 1

Few pics

What are they like with kids? Hurd different things about this breed

From what he tells me they are very good with his kids saying that during the day they are in they kennels and loose on a night his kids are always going in sticking they hands in but he wouldn't let them roam around free with his kids when alone if you know what I mean.

Just a shout for the bouvier as an excellent natural guard and bomb proof with the family. Had this bitch from 9 weeks old and she has never put a foot wrong, bit of handful in the her youth but once she trained me up she has been a gem. Very smart breed tough as old boots great coat for the outdoors and natural fierce guarding instinct. Added bonus they are happy to laze around in the main but always alert to any action in a sensible way. Not a dog to just chuck in a yard and leave alone forever as they are very loyal to their family but not needy like many working breeds can be. She is in her twilight nowadays but still knows her job atb

MollyampGeorge005_zps66940812.jpg

• Like 12

Just a shout for the bouvier as an excellent natural guard and bomb proof with the family. Had this bitch from 9 weeks old and she has never put a foot wrong, bit of handful in the her youth but once she trained me up she has been a gem. Very smart breed tough as old boots great coat for the outdoors and natural fierce guarding instinct. Added bonus they are happy to laze around in the main but always alert to any action in a sensible way. Not a dog to just chuck in a yard and leave alone forever as they are very loyal to their family but not needy like many working breeds can be. She is in her twilight nowadays but still knows her job atb

MollyampGeorge005_zps66940812.jpg

I've seen one of these not as a competition dog as a very serious family protector and the dog was mustard under testing and I don't mean barking at a stranger or hitting a sleeve. Very good dogs in the right hands.

Just a shout for the bouvier as an excellent natural guard and bomb proof with the family. Had this bitch from 9 weeks old and she has never put a foot wrong, bit of handful in the her youth but once she trained me up she has been a gem. Very smart breed tough as old boots great coat for the outdoors and natural fierce guarding instinct. Added bonus they are happy to laze around in the main but always alert to any action in a sensible way. Not a dog to just chuck in a yard and leave alone forever as they are very loyal to their family but not needy like many working breeds can be. She is in her twilight nowadays but still knows her job atb MollyampGeorge005_zps66940812.jpg

I like the look of these I know there used in some police forces overseas can imagine by looking at them it's hard to find genuine working stock though they look perfect for the crusts ring lol

Just a shout for the bouvier as an excellent natural guard and bomb proof with the family. Had this bitch from 9 weeks old and she has never put a foot wrong, bit of handful in the her youth but once she trained me up she has been a gem. Very smart breed tough as old boots great coat for the outdoors and natural fierce guarding instinct. Added bonus they are happy to laze around in the main but always alert to any action in a sensible way. Not a dog to just chuck in a yard and leave alone forever as they are very loyal to their family but not needy like many working breeds can be. She is in her twilight nowadays but still knows her job atb MollyampGeorge005_zps66940812.jpg

I like the look of these I know there used in some police forces overseas can imagine by looking at them it's hard to find genuine working stock though they look perfect for the crusts ring lol
It's not that hard as thankfully on the continent they are still valued as a guard and as stated used in various police forces. Yes there are a few show folk on board with the breed but the thankfully they haven't ruined the breed and the best valued blood still comes from the working lines on the continent. This bitch was from a litter of 3 both her brothers served in the prison service and he dam was an imported bitch. In my experience they are all pretty much peas in a pod due to there close ancestry and the tight circles they are kept within, I have said before I was lucky to et this bitch as a pup and in truth probably only got her as I was in the forces at the time and her breeder was ex forces. They may well be seen at crufts but in my experience they are no show dog atb Edited by matt1979
  • Like 1