Is It Better To Try And Fail Than Try?

I've found myself in a situation where either I take a new job or I start my own company... one involes little risk and reasonable reward. The other, freedom and fuucking huge rewards but loads of risk which involves me investing everything. Could put me really in the shit!

Thoughts or experiences welcome ;)

Edited by mushroom

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Just go for it ... nobody ever made anything of themselves by sitting on the fence and wondering if they should or shouldn't ... it's easy to look back and think I knew I could have done it but never

Ok the game is in play.   Just left the government offices here now. Everything is now in motion. Crazy thing is the gov here will give you money (which you bank while working, basically it goes tow

The one thing you won't get as a business owner if you are to be successful is freedom and keep a close eye on the profit margin of everything you do, unless you are used to and are good at paperwork

Just go for it ... nobody ever made anything of themselves by sitting on the fence and wondering if they should or shouldn't ... it's easy to look back and think I knew I could have done it but never did and trundled on doing the same old same ... the worst case scenario is you don't quite make it and you go back to your old line of work and it takes a few years to get back to where you were ... the best case is you make a cracking life for you and your daughter ... easy decision as far as I can see ......

• Like 7

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

This is eggcellent advice (I'll get my coat :laugh:)

If you know the industry and already have good contacts - go for it :yes:

However, if you have a family that rely on you for a roof over their head and food on the table, don't gamble everything.

..... is there a way that you can look for the bigger payday by starting out smaller, on a slower burn?

Good luck and atb with whatever you decide :thumbs:

Just go for it ... nobody ever made anything of themselves by sitting on the fence and wondering if they should or shouldn't ... it's easy to look back and think I knew I could have done it but never did and trundled on doing the same old same ... the worst case scenario is you don't quite make it and you go back to your old line of work and it takes a few years to get back to where you were ... the best case is you make a cracking life for you and your daughter ... easy decision as far as I can see ......

Well said that man ;)

The one thing you won't get as a business owner if you are to be successful is freedom and keep a close eye on the profit margin of everything you do, unless you are used to and are good at paperwork employ a bookeeper asap, many people I know go to work for themselves and are great at what they are doing but fall foul on the paperwork, not getting invoices out on time and struggle to keep track of expenses.

The costs and the hassle of employing others is shocking once you look into it fully and it is often the case you are taking less than they are out of a business once you factor in ALL the costs associated with employing them.

If you are willing to work 12-16 hour days, 7 days a week if needs be to make it a success then go for it, with hard work, knowledge and luck ( luck is a big part) you will do ok, if you think you can make big rewards while working less that you do now forget it if that was the case then so many others would already be doing it

*edit to add* : Having said that I agree with Socks, just be aware of the fact that if it isn't working out that maybe it is time to pull out rather than keep flogging a dead horse, sometimes it is a fact that with no matter how much you put in it just may not be viable and cut losses earlier rather than later.

Edited by Paulnix
  • Like 6

Yep, agree with all that Paul.

Exs is what will murder you, if you can do it from a laptop and charge reasonable fees like £700 or £800 a day then you are laughing.......you just have to keep the work coming in.

Don't put all your eggs in one basket.

Could you do both, for a bit, and then transfer to the other if/when it picks up?

Any of my little ventures have started of slowly this way, maybe not easily done in your line of work if your still doing what you were. Maybe all or nothing would be more suitable for your character?

Ive got 2 little ones on the back boiler, 1 may take over the other, or may compliment each other,

Either way, best of luck or best of making your own luck ;)

• Like 4

Time wise it is impossible.. It's one or the other.

I've already bought my domain, building the website, creating a logo, have the infrastructure in-place and the support around me to begin...

I think it's the nerves of; if I sign, it could go tits up and as socks said, back to square 1. Making my way up a ladder again (although granted not as hard now).

Time wise it is impossible.. It's one or the other.

I've already bought my domain, building the website, creating a logo, have the infrastructure in-place and the support around me to begin...

I think it's the nerves of; if I sign, it could go tits up and as socks said, back to square 1. Making my way up a ladder again (although granted not as hard now).

Fukcs sake you fanny man up jump in and make a success of it .........

• Like 2