I think the man holding the lead has a lot to do with how good a dog can be unless it's a out and out coward some people get a lot more than others from any dog from any line.. patience ,, the way it's started ,, experience ,, the way it's kept ,,, upbringing all play a big part and finally what's expected of the dog A brilliant dog for one man minght be mediocre for another ,,, ther far to many variables involved people seem to forget the the percentage of bad owners in the terrier game is proberly higher than the percentage of bad dogs but they all got a computer and a mouth and are hardley gona say ther a bad owner

• Like 12

• Replies 346
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Wasn't she like fudge but just harder

There's fellas in the game 20/30years who no everything about nothing. A lad with the right attitude no matter how many years he's at it is worth ten of them no it all ignorant fellas.

The fifth dig to a Treacle pup this season, another Roxett grandson

Posted Images

was always told a terrier mans yard should be like a bag of tools

a dog for different jobs

some dogs dont like working stones

some dont like hay stacks

some wont push in wet drains

when your with hounds you need all and more of the above to be covered

welsh foxes on the hill are a cut above the rest

Im sure ns kept what he had for a reason to please himself and to do what he wanted with them work

seems the guy is a bit like marmite you either love him or hate him

If some dogs don't like working any of the above then they shouldn't be a Terriermans dogs......

thats what you would strive for but how many people have kennels full of dogs doing it all?

Every terrier man I know or they wouldn't be in their kennels I'm as green as grass mate but some of the lads I've dug with are out 4 or 5 days a week and a terrier that won't work to a high standard isn't worth the feed they give it.dont know about the USA but here in England there are earth dogs and lap dogs and a terrier man doesn't want a lap dog

a dog for different jobs

Im sure ns kept what he had for a reason to please himself and to do what he wanted with them work

If some dogs don't like working any of the above then they shouldn't be a Terriermans dogs......
thats what you would strive for but how many people have kennels full of dogs doing it all?
Every terrier man I know or they wouldn't be in their kennels I'm as green as grass mate but some of the lads I've dug with are out 4 or 5 days a week and a terrier that won't work to a high standard isn't worth the feed they give it.dont know about the USA but here in England there are earth dogs and lap dogs and a terrier man doesn't want a lap dog

how many hunt terrier men have you seen work their dogs buddy?

pest control dogs and hunt dogs are a world apart lee

Explain please ?

And just to add my two cents worth to an argument that could go on forever. The best terriers IMO are and always have been in the hands of those who hunt for sport.

• Like 1

Yeah I know I saw a hunt terrier walk coz the fox wouldn't bolt lol

The difference in a fox found with a full gut of birds laying in a little earth next to the pheasant pens on an estate...or a good fox that's been run hard for two hours across the Welsh mountain's by a pack of hounds. That's the difference.

• Like 2

Yeah I know I saw a hunt terrier walk coz the fox wouldn't bolt lol

And in certain places/with certain packs of hounds pre ban that terrier would be seriously handy. I.e rocks, or places you wouldn't want to enter your best stayer

• Like 2

a dog for different jobs

So what if you had a dog that didn't like the stones but was a very devent dog in an earth? One that could get anywhere...would you not keep him? Most terrierman have 3 boxes on the bike...pick the 3 that will suit. Like strongbow said...as handy as they are/were on a hunting day, still not to be bred from.
I would think the dog isn't all that if it didn't try it's best regardless of terrain.
couldnt be dealing with choosey terriers..
you must have a good kennel of terriers
no better then the next genuine man, Iv never been one for making do with what I had I'd rather have none..

So youv never had anything half tidy that got you by? Just pure greats...?

Explain please ?

And just to add my two cents worth to an argument that could go on forever. The best terriers IMO are and always have been in the hands of those who hunt for sport.

i ment im sure lees mates that dig for pest contol wouldnt keep a little yapper that wouldnt stay for hours on end but a hunt terrier man in the fells ect would

ps neil we all know you wouldn't want to start an argument

• Like 2

I've been to Wales in the mountains plenty mate they not all as big as wolves and as hard as nails

There's a fine line between a good hill fox and some shitty little scavenger living in a hedge. As iv said... most of the time they're alot more straight to get when you stumble upon them in an earth as to when hounds have run him hard and he's gone in.